Forums
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Range Rover P38 Opinions - 17th Sep 2011 11:42am
Does anyone have any opinions on the 2.5 BMW diesel versions of these?

They seem to be quite cheap for the spec, and Im going to need something cheaper on insurance and fuel in the future. Are they high insurance? Or high revs/low ratio gears = low mpg?
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 17th Sep 2011 12:23pm
If you're handy with a spanner then these things are a bit of a steal at the price point they're currently at. Most of the problems and issues with this model are quite well documented on the internet as well.

Mum had one around 2000 (I think, I was at secondary school anyway!) and she loved it, it was brand new at the time but since then I have always fancied owning one. I just can't justify a large 4x4 when I don't have kids, dogs or any mates wink

The air suspension, if I remember rightly, was a problem, but at the same time it was very comfortable. The petrols had head gasket problems, ours was a 4.6 Vogue but I don't think it was much of a problem on the diesels.

I think the diesel problem was 120bhp in such a heavy car, I'd definitely get a test drive, see what you think? I was only a kid but I'm pretty sure the body roll and pace means it'll never be anything other than a capable, comfortable tank.

Ours was blue, Oxford Blue I think it was called? My advice is test drive it and look for one with plenty of options to make it desirable to sell on, Harmon Kardon stereo was amazing, used to sit my mates in it and put awful scouse house on; I was about 15 at the time! Nav was available back then with TV i think.

I can't really offer much more! But I'll see you later to collect the projector!
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 17th Sep 2011 12:46pm
Thanks for that, yeah Im not really looking for a sporty vehicle, the insurance on mine just goes up and up, doesnt seem worth it anymore (I will soon be paying 300 more per year than when I first got the car), I did plan to go the remap, suspension and brakes route, but that just adds even more to an overinflated insurance cost, so no more fast and sporty, more comfortable and ploddy.

Im not Mr Mechanic, but if its not too hard I'll give it a go.

Im just looking for a safe tank with a few toys but not too bad on the MPG or repair bills (seems to be loads of them being broken up).

My other old school favourite would be a volvo 850r, had an 850 before and absolutely loved it. But its quite hard to find a low mileage one in decent nick.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 17th Sep 2011 1:07pm
What do you drive at the moment?

LPG is always an option on them?

Going back that far there's always the risk of things going wrong but I reckon that's the reason these cars are such good value.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 17th Sep 2011 4:48pm
As my avatar. Skoda Octavia 2 VRS. LPG wasnt possible a couple of years ago on TFSI engines, maybe now. But how many garages are around that have LPG? Cant say Ive seen many (if any).

TBH its not so much the mpg I get atm, which for a 2.0 turbo is really not that bad. The insurance is a big bugbear especially when you cant even change the wheels without adding an extra 400-500 to the policy oshocked
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 17th Sep 2011 4:54pm
How old are you?

I'm 25 and I've lowered my Z4 and put different wheels on it, and they didn't add anything when I told them. In fact, £600 all in.

ps. picked the projector up, cheers.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 17th Sep 2011 5:12pm
32 with 12 years no claims, fully comp is £650 (the cheapest by about £200-300) no mods allowed, but the longer I have the car the insurance is going up not down, started at around £450. Its just ridiculous.

It does depend on your insurance company how mod friendly they are, but no-one can get close in price. Maybe its the New Ferry postcode. Am moving to Oxton soon and my insurance quoted me an extra £150 per year. Insurance is a license for the greedy to print money, nothing more.

Maybe I need to find a small local broker.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 17th Sep 2011 5:19pm
I am with Elephant at the moment. Granted my postcode is a bit better, but you're 7 years older than me with a less risky car and 5 more years no claims. It shouldn't be higher, I wouldn't have thought.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 17th Sep 2011 6:08pm
Maybe postcode makes more of a difference than expected.

I would think a p38 rangey diesel would be a lot cheaper though.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 17th Sep 2011 6:45pm
doubt your insurance will be much cheaper, if not around what you pay now and not as economical as your current motor.

also there are some complete nails around, we spent 6 months looking before we bought ours. you will pay a premium for a decent one. i just sold my 2001 hse, 160,000 miles with a knackered head gasket for £2100 so that should give you an idea of how much extra a tidy one will go for.

don't worry about what you hear about eas problems with them, nothing costs too much to sort out.

no personal experience of the diesel but know a few people who've had them and they all seemed happy with them.
just bear in mind when a diesel goes wrong 99% of the time you can expect a big repair bill.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 18th Sep 2011 9:43am
Couple of my friends have the 2.5TD

Its the BMW lump, and pretty bomb proof. For the range Rover it was detuned to make 136bhp, rather than 143bhp, but the Range Rover makes more torque to help lug the weight round. Both my friends see low 20's mpg wise.

Due to their age pattern parts are easy to come by cheap, and the engine is a common lump, so nothing is mega pricy under the bonnet. Biggest expense is going to be the fuel cost as they are very thirsty, even for a derv.....
Posted By: Littlebear Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 20th Sep 2011 10:57am
Think this engine came in the Omega diesel as well. I don't think you'll get much in the way of problems with it apart from the obvious sensors. LPG is good on V8 Range Rovers as well (30mpg in relation to petrol).
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 20th Sep 2011 6:41pm
Thanks all for the above.

I was looking at a few lpg ones, problem is how many garages in the Wirral sell lpg?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 20th Sep 2011 7:27pm
Originally Posted by rhoobarb2002
Thanks all for the above.

I was looking at a few lpg ones, problem is how many garages in the Wirral sell lpg?
Most, if not all the Shell stations. CLICKY
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 20th Sep 2011 8:05pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Most, if not all the Shell stations. CLICKY

Hmm, thanks for that. So would a 4.6 (or indeed the 4.0) petrol Rangerover with LPG be cheaper to run (short runs, traffic, not very often needed for motorway) than a 2.5 Diesel?

Or maybe BioDiesel would be an option?.

I wouldnt be above asking chippies for their old veggie oil laugh lol

The above are more curiosity question. It just seems a shame that all these thirsty cars are dead cheap atm.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 20th Sep 2011 8:58pm
Go for the biggest and loudest petrol engine you can, and LPG it.

Posted By: Littlebear Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 20th Sep 2011 9:03pm
I'd go for the V8 with LPG. I think they're generally better kitted out than the diesels as well if the engine denotes the trim level (Vogue?). They also sound amazing.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 20th Sep 2011 9:11pm
I'm with Littlebear.

Take into account that those that went for the best engine will have spent more on options.

Diesel engines also seem to cost a whole lot more when they go bang!

Does this BMW diesel engine have swirl flaps?
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 10:17am
Hi, i know you cant polish a turd but have a look at the Range Over website, may be of interest in the styling fronts.
Posted By: Lord_of_the_M53 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 10:22am
Does anyone have any opinions on the 2.5 BMW diesel versions of these?

They seem to be quite cheap for the spec, and Im going to need something cheaper on insurance and fuel in the future. Are they high insurance? Or high revs/low ratio gears = low mpg?

i had a discovery 2 with this engine was good at towing etc but wasnt very economical imagine it would be worse in a heavier range rover, get a v8 lpg still not economical but as lpg is cheaper its the only option.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 10:24am
Originally Posted by AlexB

no They only started appearing around 2003 on the later, high pressure diesel motors.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 10:27am
Originally Posted by StuyMac

no They only started appearing around 2003 on the later, high pressure diesel motors.

A mate of mine had a 320d. The flaps broke and ended up inside one of the cylinders. It wasn't a cheap fix!
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 10:45am
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
Hi, i know you cant polish a turd but have a look at the Range Over website, may be of interest in the styling fronts.

LOL

TBH I prefer the 'polished turd' styling of the p38 to the newer 'bling bling' style. Thats why I asked instead of an older plate, new style rangey. Maybe I am the only one, but the new ones dont look very rugged/off roady, more chelsea tractor.

The 'classic' just looks too old now.

Same as the discos, I wouldnt mind a series 1 or 2, but not 3 or 4, they just dont look the part anymore. frown

ANd the evoque?, bleh, moon buggy.

My sister has a brand new sport vogue, its an ugly beast to say the least, I just dont like them.

The overfinch one, now thats nice, but waaaaay out of my price league.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 10:46am
Ive heard the storys on the newer ones, and my car has been de-flapped wink

The older, 2.5 engines are very strong, Ive had one in a 325tds and had no problems, a friend also had one in a 325tds and did 120k miles in it, needed a fuel pump at some point, but other than that nothing beyond regular service items. He was also on the original clutch after 170k miles when he sold it and he towed with it (not that that would matter in an auto). A couple of friends are also currently running P38s, and again, they have had no major issues.

I used to get 50mpg from my old 325, but the Rangys struggle to do 1/2 that frown
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 11:05am
[Linked Image]

I recommend one of these bad boys, Corvette engined LT1 580Bhp

Goes like a rocket, makes the 4.6 look like it couldn't pull you out of bed, well worth the investment, if you've got the spondoolies to play with.

Will smash alL Cayennes, X5'S, 6'S, ML's not another 4 x 4 thats close, guaranteed
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 11:11am
I love your Dad's RR Les, I just wouldn't want to put fuel in it.

Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 11:50am
Haha you're not wrong mate 5.3 Litre gets about 12mpg :(,

Will have to get a video of it flying, sound out of the quad pipes is unbelievable
Posted By: Littlebear Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 11:55am
Some of those Range Over stuff is really awful.
You'd have to wear those JJB shorts and Reebok Classics with that lot, and name your kid 'Kai', if you know what I mean.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 12:13pm
Some of the OF's can look tacky same as the Kahns but don't know too many scruffs that can afford a 100k car little bear lol most don't spend that on their house laugh

Interior is hand stitched by bentley cost 13k think of the tracksuits you could by with that
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 12:17pm
To be fair you could have one of these and get a bit of change back for similar money on a 58 plate

[Linked Image]

Still prefer the Overfinch on the basis you dont have to pay 6k for a clutch after 2000 miles not practical really,
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 12:19pm
You could also stretch to two possibly 3 of these second hand for the same money , not worth having unless its a GT tho imo

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 12:30pm
Originally Posted by Nelzy84
don't know too many scruffs that can afford a 100k car

Joking aren't you, that's how Kahn make their money.

Scruffs with some money which gives the ability to raise finance.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 12:33pm
don't know too many scruffs that can afford a 100k car

Joking aren't you, that's how Kahn make their money.

Scruffs with some money which gives the ability to raise finance.

Bet their books are full of Dealers and gangsters ahaha
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 12:34pm
To be fair though don't know too many peeps who drive a motor like that and wear lacoste ahah i used to wear that stuff when i was 15!, Prada, Armani, Gucci & Ray bans only, it's part of the qualification criteria, Primani, Next and M&S are all defo out !
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 1:22pm
What about Oxfam specials Nelz?

To be honest my truck is far better than that Overfinch....... shifty
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 1:24pm
Originally Posted by polo_phil
What about Oxfam specials Nelz?

To be honest my truck is far better than that Overfinch....... shifty

Oxfams and help the aged are well and truely on the list, seen some cracking tweed trackies in the window last week,

I'd have to agree mate nothing trumps Philzilla's Mitzi Beast
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 1:31pm
Got to love haggling in a charity shop... or even better stealing stuff...

It's an Isuzu Nelz!... Can't believe you'd get it mixed up with a bushymit frown
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 1:38pm
How is your Trooper on fuel phil?
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 1:45pm
Averages around 28mpg.

I don't floor it everywhere though and don't really go over 70 on the motorway
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 1:46pm
That sounds pretty good to me!
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 1:52pm
Aye not bad for an 11 yr old 3.0TD

I believe the automatic versions average about 5mpg less
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 1:52pm
TBH I quite like the Lotus version (just did the handling I believe, no engine work) of those. and those figure sound quite good for such a large vehicle.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 1:54pm
I may be wrong but I think the Lotus edition Bighorns were on the previous model and came with the 3.1td or a big petrol unit...
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 1:56pm
3.1TD or 3.2V6 I believe, not sure about model version though.

[Linked Image]

Think thats a '92
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 1:59pm
that sounds about right! All the ones I know of are pre 1998
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:17pm
Great, I've just spent an hour looking in the classifieds for a Range Rover!!

http://pistonheads.com/sales/3171544.htm

Def going to go and check this out. I can't believe how much depreciating they have done.

Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:25pm
Got to love haggling in a charity shop... or even better stealing stuff...

It's an Isuzu Nelz!... Can't believe you'd get it mixed up with a bushymit frown

Sorry Phil, Trooper power, Love it, uncle had an Piazza (little sports car) in the early 90's was the effin bomb dude

Couldn't remember what your trusty steed was, thought i was being cleve looking at your avatar - FAIL NELZ,
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:26pm
Al, if your interested mate let us know, can get you standard vogues, HSE and Cayennes for Peanuts mate, 4.3 vogue can be picked up trade for around 8.5k

HSE's are mickey mouse imo, under powered 2.5 Boooooooooo
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:27pm
uncle had an Piazza

Awesome! laugh

Looks good Al. You'll be able to collect lots of wood in that!
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:30pm
Couldn't remember what your trusty steed was, thought i was being cleve looking at your avatar - FAIL NELZ,

I will forgive you...

Al, if your interested mate let us know, can get you standard vogues, HSE and Cayennes for Peanuts mate, 4.3 vogue can be picked up trade for around 8.5k

HSE's are mickey mouse imo, under powered 2.5 Boooooooooo

...if you hook me up homie! I have some peanuts at home... No tea for you tonight Dumbo sorry...
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:33pm
I can hook you up bruvva, throw in some pisatchios and we be in businaz
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:34pm
Sweet. I don't want a Gayenne though!
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:35pm
uncle had an Piazza

Awesome! laugh

Looks good Al. You'll be able to collect lots of wood in that!

A piazza, gramatical heathen these days, it was purple / blue and used to live on Poulton Road, u may have seen it in the past rember buzzing of it as a kid, turbo Pizza i nicked named it, inventive little sh** that i was
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:35pm
Sweet. I don't want a Gayenne though!

Agreed, there for Hom's and peeps who wanted a RR but couldn't afford a proper one smile
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:37pm
Early 90s I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between a Piazza and a Scirocco...
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:39pm
Now you mention it, yeah v similar will try google a pic, think it had pepper pot wheels when he originially imported it
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:41pm
[Linked Image]

One of these bad boys, similar colour without the metal flake
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:43pm
Actually... I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between a Piazza and a Trooper in the early 90s!

I wont ask where you 'pick up' these vehicles from wink
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 2:52pm
Les, planning on sticking the Z4 up when it's sorted so I will definitely come and have a chat. Don't want a Cayenne, ideally a TDV8 of some sort I suppose but prices are higher on them and I'm told the V6 is a pig.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 3:06pm
IMO the depreciation is mainly because of engine size, thirsty cars cost a hell of a lot to run with fuel prices the way they are.

My brother in law recently sold a Jag s-type 4.2 V8 for peanuts, the garage were reluctant to take it because they would have trouble selling it on with that size engine.

Well I think Rangeys are out of my day-to-day budget, I am tempted by the Hilux double cab with a truckman top.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/...cab-hl3-4x4-4dr/summary/51891?sort=Price

And at an average mpg of 34 for the 2.5 diesel, thats not bad.

But prices seem very strong for them. I would also think finding one that isnt a tired work horse would be another challenge
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 3:09pm

I am tempted by the Hilux double cab with a truckman top

Nice! But I always think these size/type vehicles aren't very practical for the overall size of them!
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 3:27pm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-HI...t=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2567a38f69

That would be the kind of thing I would aim for.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 3:33pm
IMO the depreciation is mainly because of engine size, thirsty cars cost a hell of a lot to run with fuel prices the way they are.

My brother in law recently sold a Jag s-type 4.2 V8 for peanuts, the garage were reluctant to take it because they would have trouble selling it on with that size engine.

Well I think Rangeys are out of my day-to-day budget, I am tempted by the Hilux double cab with a truckman top.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/...cab-hl3-4x4-4dr/summary/51891?sort=Price

And at an average mpg of 34 for the 2.5 diesel, thats not bad.

But prices seem very strong for them. I would also think finding one that isnt a tired work horse would be another challenge

Good call barb of the roo

I've always liked the Hilux good work horse, have you looked at Mitzi Warriors? similar kind of styling etc.

Your right on the big engine size scenario, Bread and butter cars are making far mor dollar, with the economy being fecked, everyones going Eco warrior and buying quality s**t like Aygo, IQ's, Smart, G Wiz and Yaris's, do my head in, peeps need to respect the bad ass 4 / 5l monsters, how many lambo's, ferraris do you see in a one litre haha

Same with the electric cars, great for emissions, or is it? given all the power still needs to come from the grid IE a big dirty power station somewhere it seems to me like the Eco - nobs are robbing peter to pay paul, how about capping Chinas manufacturing emissions and grounding all non essential flights etc, stuff that actually will make a difference.

Shame your brother only got peanuts 3-4 years ago it would have been top dollar, love jags, still an old XJRS kicking about in works, classic motors
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 21st Sep 2011 3:49pm
I've always liked the Hilux good work horse, have you looked at Mitzi Warriors? similar kind of styling etc.

Indeed, the Mitzi warrior/animal, or any of the l200s are nice (not sure of mpg figures for those), and more value for money, by quite a margin against a hilux, guess that goes with competing against the tried and trusted.

I dont care for the new ones though, they seem to be going more for the sleek design, fashion vehicle factor like the new range rovers. Kind of defeating the purpose of what they are meant to be, as you put, workhorses.

I dont mind workhorses being tarted up, alloys, bodykits, whatever. But coming pre-made like that just seems pointless.

Guess Im backward like that.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 22nd Sep 2011 8:20am
Well Ive been t'internetting a few pickups. L200 Animal, Hilux Invincible, Ranger Thunder and Navara Outlaw.

I think the hilux is the close winner. The l200 seems to have a lot of customer complaints about expensive issues (this could be down to the fact that there are more l200's than any other pickup in the UK, so that would mean more complaints), the Navara having similar issues. The Ranger looks good, but there arent many reviews on it and they seem to be average ratings at best. The spec is higher and they are cheaper, but the consistent 'bullet proof' reviews of the Hilux along with its reputation and history mean its the winner. High resale prices and lower spec is a kick in the ass, but not intolerable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilux
scroll to reputation, wouldnt get any better commendations I dont think.

Im surprised I hadnt seriously considered pickups before, aside from the '10-4, good buddy' jokes, they are 20 insurance groups cheaper than my current car, Im hoping that means a big drop in insurance costs. Its just a case of finding insurers that will insure what is technically a commercial vehicle as a normal family vehicle.

Hmm, lots for me to ponder.....
Posted By: AlexB Re: Range Rover P38 Opinions - 22nd Sep 2011 8:21am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Polar_Special

You can do anything to it and it'll still work!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral