Forums
Posted By: dizdazdoz How many L plates - 5th Jul 2011 4:16pm
Wasn't sure whether this is the right place r Law & Order?

My wife is insured on our car and her instuctor has said that driving it will help with her lessons. I was wondering if there is a maximum number of L plates as we were thinking 2 front & 2 back incase 1 falls off, or are you limited to 1 at each end.
Posted By: LilJen Re: How many L plates - 5th Jul 2011 4:17pm
put as many as you like on as long as ther not covering ur windscreen haha
Posted By: reddragon Re: How many L plates - 5th Jul 2011 4:28pm
1 each end of the vehicle
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: How many L plates - 5th Jul 2011 5:18pm
There is nothing wrong with putting two at front and two to the rear. However, unless it is a driving school vehicle, they must not be displayed when a non-learner is driving.
Posted By: TheDr Re: How many L plates - 5th Jul 2011 6:25pm
Agree with DD, must be a minimum of 1 at each end of the vehicle and must be visible from a "reasonable distance", so sticking them to the flat bonnet of your car might be useful to low flying aircraft, but naff all use to anybody else.

If you're only going to use one (each end) most suggest that putting it on the offside gives the most protection/visibility when overtaking etc.

When I was teaching my daughter to drive I bought one of the little roof "L" signs from eBay, think it cost about £20, but as the penalty for no L plate is three points (even if you claim it has blown off, as it must also be "fitted securely") I thought it was well worth it (daughter hated it), still in my garage if you feel the need and want to borrow it.

Last two points, if you put them on the glass, it must not obscure your view, and if you're not a driving school it is an offence to display L plates when being driven by anyone other than a learner.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: How many L plates - 6th Jul 2011 5:13pm
Cheers peeps, Dr I may well take you up on the offer of the roof thing, will see how other motorists treat her when we are out, if I feel we are not getting seen enough I will take up the offer.

Cheers
Posted By: TheDr Re: How many L plates - 6th Jul 2011 6:31pm
No worries, it's only sat there so if you need/want to use it.

It does have a big blank space for the company name on it, maybe I should vinyl a WikiWirral sign for it smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral