Forums
Posted By: paxvobiscum advice needed about scratched car - 3rd Jul 2011 8:18pm
Last night I misjudged a gateway and have what seem to be superficial scratches on car door. Have red Nissan Micra. If it can be t-cutted is there a standard red product or what should I buy?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: advice needed about scratched car - 3rd Jul 2011 8:22pm
Were you attempting to make 'go-faster' stripes? smile

Sorry - I'd say T-cut and then one of those 'colour magic' products would do the job. Check out Half-frauds - they do their only range of colour polish, slightly cheaper than named-brand. Or check out ebay.
What I wouldn't do, if scratches are superficial, is try and cover them with a coloured paint pen. Its dead hard to match the colour.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: advice needed about scratched car - 3rd Jul 2011 8:50pm
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Were you attempting to make 'go-faster' stripes? smile

Sorry - I'd say T-cut and then one of those 'colour magic' products would do the job. Check out Half-frauds - they do their only range of colour polish, slightly cheaper than named-brand. Or check out ebay.
What I wouldn't do, if scratches are superficial, is try and cover them with a coloured paint pen. Its dead hard to match the colour.

Thanks MissGuided for this helpful advice. I was going really slow and was shocked when I heard the noise. Very narrow gateway and I mis-judged it.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: advice needed about scratched car - 3rd Jul 2011 9:13pm
how deep is the scratch? id start by panel wiping the affected area, with maybe thinners, then wash and t cut, best bet for a decent finish, BTW plenty of elbow grease when applying the t cut and wiping off, allow the t cut to fully dry to a mist.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: advice needed about scratched car - 3rd Jul 2011 9:21pm
pax - I feel for you. I've done it twice now. Once, driving into The Pyramids multi-storey car park - I misjudged the turn-in and my mother was yacking at me at the same time. It was bad - I took it to Andersons on Shrewsbury Rd - did a fantastic job. Other time was with my current car - reversing into the drive. Still scratched, got the bumper mainly. Also got me some parking sensors in the rear bumper (off e-bay) so I won't do it again raftl
Posted By: ponytail Re: advice needed about scratched car - 4th Jul 2011 4:51am
Tried the t-cut years ago, it looked fine at the time but eventually ended up reapplyling again and again.

For a professional job and if its a deep scratch, I would recommend isolating and sanding down the area then use a body compound filler. When it has dried overnight you then apply the car's own paint colour - you research the actual colour using the car's VIN.
Posted By: Brocks Re: advice needed about scratched car - 4th Jul 2011 1:50pm
Run your fingers across the scratches...If you can feel them to the touch, Then you're probably chasing your tail. If not then use Meguires Scratch-X - Halfords sell it I think. It should polish out the scratch without taking most of teh original paint with it:

If you can get to this: http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20546 He's a demo I did!
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: advice needed about scratched car - 4th Jul 2011 4:19pm
Originally Posted by Brocks
Run your fingers across the scratches...If you can feel them to the touch, Then you're probably chasing your tail. If not then use Meguires Scratch-X - Halfords sell it I think. It should polish out the scratch without taking most of teh original paint with it:

If you can get to this: http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20546 He's a demo I did!

Thanks everyone for all your help which will help me decide best option.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral