Forums
Posted By: Handbag Nissan Micra dilema - 5th Jun 2011 2:44pm
Bought myself and old Nissan Micra LS (K10 series) for £250 last Saturday. As a first time driver I decided to buy something small and cheap that wasn't going to cost me a fortune to insure and run.. well some little sh1tbags stole the car early hours of Saturday morning, I now need a new ignition, new steering wheel, new steering column (as they have sheered the top of mine off when they stole the steering wheel)and new column housing, I phoned all the scrapyards and none of them have got the parts I need in. I can buy all but the column housing online second hand for about £200 including P&P and VAT, and then get a quote from a local mechanic to fit it all. The dilema is is it really worth spending the money to repair a car I had stolen less than a week after I bought it? problem is that the Police and I have a pretty good idea who stole it and they're really local to me frown I'd really value some opinions...
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 5th Jun 2011 2:55pm
Dirt bags, the cost to the owner is really bad.

You should be able the secondhand parts for less than this, there are enough micras from that era getting scrapped at the moment. Japanese car parts are so dear new, I guess that bolsters the secondhand price quite a bit.

As you probably realise, you can get a complete car for those prices and get money back on the shell afterwards - but you need the facilities frown
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 5th Jun 2011 8:37pm
Its also worth considering you may get £100 if you scrap the car.

Its a loss of £150, but depending on how much you are going to need to spend to get it back on the road, it may be an option worth considering frown
Posted By: TheDr Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 6th Jun 2011 1:50am
StuyMan is right, the old K10 weighs about 675kg so you're looking at about £100 (ish) with todays scrap prices, okay so it's a loss on what you paid only last week but if you add the £200 for parts you need and whatever you get charged to fit them you're looking at about £350 - £400.

Last week I went with a friend to pick up a W reg Fiat Punto with 12m MoT and 6m Tax which cost him £350 (and he's keeping it, this isn't a sales pitch), so the cars are out there, it's just up to you which way you decide to run with it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 6th Jun 2011 5:44am
Originally Posted by Handbag
Bought myself and old Nissan Micra LS (K10 series) for £250 last Saturday. As a first time driver I decided to buy something small and cheap that wasn't going to cost me a fortune to insure and run.. well some little sh1tbags stole the car early hours of Saturday morning, I now need a new ignition, new steering wheel, new steering column (as they have sheered the top of mine off when they stole the steering wheel)and new column housing, I phoned all the scrapyards and none of them have got the parts I need in. I can buy all but the column housing online second hand for about £200 including P&P and VAT, and then get a quote from a local mechanic to fit it all. The dilema is is it really worth spending the money to repair a car I had stolen less than a week after I bought it? problem is that the Police and I have a pretty good idea who stole it and they're really local to me frown I'd really value some opinions...
If you decide to buy the parts, I will fit them for FREE for you, I know what its like being a new driver and keeping your car on the road.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 6th Jun 2011 6:02am
it is cheaper at scrap yards if you take parts off your self, so if you phone round scrap yards in liverpool, if you find parts you need, if your not able to takr parts off yourself I will even give you lift to scrap yard and take parts off, all i ask is that you cover the tunnel money. Your car will be back on the road, carnt let the thieving ... force your car off the road
Posted By: norma Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 7th Jun 2011 5:30pm
sorry to hear about your car , my daughter has a nissan micra for sale it is running but is being sold as spare or repair she is asking £300 for it but is open to offers the car has to go asap as she is getting a ne one tomorrow please contact me if you are interested
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 7th Jun 2011 10:26pm
Really crappy that mate, i am originally from Egremont for 30 years, my mum still lives there, we had the occasional issue but never had any major problems, the neighbours looked after each other, unlike the area i live in now (wally village).

Get talking to the neighbours about it, you never know one of them may have a word with the lad, i know when i was a kid in that area a right word in the right ear fixed many a problem that the police couldnt.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 7th Jun 2011 11:28pm
That's shit that mate, with the cost of just being able to get from A to B in a car being what it is, this is not what you need.

I hope whatever you decide isn't too wallet raping for you!
Posted By: Handbag Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 9th Jun 2011 11:16am
Thanks for the replies and offers of help, I really do appreciate it...

Got rid of the car for scrap only got £80 for it but to be homest I decided I just wanted to see the back of it..
Trying to look on the bright side tho, as when the car was found a short distance from the house left in the middle of a junction on a slight hill with the handbrake left on and no steering wheel...the police and some neightbours helped us bounce it out of the junction so I saved myself £150 recovery fee...
The car was parked right under a council operated CCTV Camera which is working (waiting for the control room to check the footage) and the forensics got some prints off the inside of the steering column housing.

Back to the drawing board, I guess I'll be in the market for a new car in a couple of months when I've one some saving.. Learned some hard lessons about cars tho, next time I will check out how secure they are before I buy.
Posted By: Handbag Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 9th Jun 2011 11:22am
What I forgot to say was that when I took the scrappy to come and collect the car I noticed that someone had broken into the car again but this time on the passenger side door... you're not going to believe this but... they had stolen.... wait for it.... a bottle of Mr Muscle glass cleaner from the passenger footwell... unflippingbelieveable!!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 9th Jun 2011 12:14pm
What I forgot to say was that when I took the scrappy to come and collect the car I noticed that someone had broken into the car again but this time on the passenger side door... you're not going to believe this but... they had stolen.... wait for it.... a bottle of Mr Muscle glass cleaner from the passenger footwell... unflippingbelieveable!!!!!!

Do you live in Beirut?
Posted By: Handbag Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 9th Jun 2011 12:33pm
LoL you'd think so wouldnt you tease

Rice Lane, Wallasey... so yeah Beruit tease
I have to say though the people who live in Rice Lane are really lovely and never cause a problem, but we get a lot of trouble from other areas nearby...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Nissan Micra dilema - 9th Jun 2011 12:36pm
LoL you'd think so wouldnt you ;P

Rice Lane, Wallasey... so yeah Beruit tease

Either that, or you really don't have much luck pal!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral