Forums
Posted By: Danny888 MOT - 25th May 2011 9:27am
Where does cheap MOTs on the Wirral and how much?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: MOT - 25th May 2011 9:33am
That one by liddle (village motors I think) in liscard charges £27 I think.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: MOT - 25th May 2011 9:34am
Would stay away from cheap places as they seem to find faults from what I heard. Would go somewhere that charges around £45-£50 and is recommended really.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: MOT - 25th May 2011 9:48am
Originally Posted by dizdazdoz
Would stay away from cheap places as they seem to find faults from what I heard. Would go somewhere that charges around £45-£50 and is recommended really.

If your car is around 56, 57 plate then cheapy ones are good, anything older any your right dizdazdoz, they will find loads of probs, that arnt really probs...
Posted By: Danny888 Re: MOT - 25th May 2011 9:56am
£27 in Halfords, £35 in Kwik Fit

Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous Re: MOT - 25th May 2011 9:59am
Does Chrisgilly do MOT's?

Failing that, I would never hesitate to recommend Toronto Garage

Unit 2: 23 Tarran Way West Tarran Industrial Estate Moreton
Tel: 0151 678 2780

Mike Kirkham has looked after all the cars in our family, some decent metal, for as long as I can remember. He would never 'find' a problem with your car and as far as I can remember, the MOT is around £40.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: MOT - 25th May 2011 10:56am
Chris dont do MOT's, I get him to do a pre mot for me for added security before the real one, my car is a 99 plate so worth it.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: MOT - 25th May 2011 11:07am
I can vouch for Village motors, 27 quid, top job, if you want a "proper" MOT they are the boys, if you want new tyres, brakes and all the other things that come with it then take it to kwik fit!

there is another garage but it isnt cheap, it is mike O by the bridges in birkenhead, another old school mechanic, if your car passes you know your car is in good condition.
Posted By: saiyan_gmt Re: MOT - 25th May 2011 11:49am
I can also vouch for Village motors used them a couple of times on cars of various ages and never had a problem smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: MOT - 25th May 2011 12:05pm

That's not true, the price doesn't define the result of the MOT.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: MOT - 25th May 2011 12:58pm
Originally Posted by DavidB

That's not true, the price doesn't define the result of the MOT.

I did say FROM WHAT I HEARD . . . I have been told that things that should be a warning for the next MOT or need sorting soon will often be failed at cheaper places then they charge for a re-test or they charge for the work if poss.

Not all cheap ones do this for sure but I would always recomend going somewhere recommended rather than just turning up and paying £27.
Posted By: neilmcc Re: MOT - 25th May 2011 1:13pm
i always use upland service station manor drive upton they are the most geniune place i have found and have used them ever since i passed my test
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: MOT - 25th May 2011 1:34pm
Highly recommend Kelvin Motors in Seacombe, £40 and free retest, they aren't touting for repair work and are sensible. Their failures are just about spot on statistically with VOSA's guidelines.

Second choice is Cavendish in Birkenhead.
Posted By: MikeT Re: MOT - 26th May 2011 5:55am
Originally Posted by Danny888
Where does cheap MOTs on the Wirral and how much?
The ambulance station in Liscard used to do MOTs and you knew they were impartial as they were not touting for repair work. Not sure if they still do them, might be worth a call.

Personally, I use Mike Hurst in New Brighton. Charges full whack but is a genuine and trustworthy guy, no bullshit at all.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MOT - 26th May 2011 8:41am
Walsh's aint bad, but it depends who you get, as to how confident you can be with them being fair.

As said though, generally, the cheapest isnt always the best, many garages will undercut others on MOT's and then fail you - thats not to say every cheap garage does, and on the flipside, there are some bad apples for the more expensive garages as well!

Its a minefield out there, which is why im a firm believer that MOT's (like eye-tests), should be carried out only by impartial, authority-run centres, where the business operating the services, has no financial interest or benefit from giving you a bad result.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral