Forums
Posted By: mondeo_st_99 whats a good reliable people carrier? - 22nd Mar 2011 6:30pm
Hi im looking for a reliable people carrier that isn't going to cost the earth to run or maintain? We need a minium of 7 seats but they need to be able to fit 5 carseats in comfortably and safely.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 22nd Mar 2011 6:36pm
What about a minibus,i,ve had mine about 6 years,and it has been the best thing i,ve done.
Lots of room to get kids in and out.
Posted By: mondeo_st_99 Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 22nd Mar 2011 7:15pm
We've thought about one but there's a few things that we're struggling to find out about them like if they have heaters in the rear and could you put child-locks on the back doors as 2 of are children are special needs with behavioral problems so tend to climb out of their seats and try and open doors and widows.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 22nd Mar 2011 7:20pm
Hi,mine is a renault master,which was used for adults with severe challenging behavior,and is also wheelchair adapted.

If you want to call round and have a look your more than welcome,i'm in New Ferry.
Posted By: mondeo_st_99 Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 22nd Mar 2011 7:31pm
Thanks for that, that would be a great help. We're at our wits end now searching and this summer we would really like to get out for family days out but don't fancy the struggle with the children on buses and trains.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 22nd Mar 2011 7:38pm
Yes i can imagine,and i can't think of a car that will take all the child seats,so maybe minibus is your only option.

I will PM my address.
Posted By: Wench Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 22nd Mar 2011 9:51pm
[Linked Image]

What about one of these? Running costs are lower and a lot more fun wink
Posted By: mondeo_st_99 Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 22nd Mar 2011 10:05pm
Haha i dont think the poor elephant would like my children swinging off his ears though smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 22nd Mar 2011 10:15pm
Was going to suggest something like this;

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/2528819.htm

Didn't realise the price of them though, seems a bit steep for what they are on the second hand market.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 22nd Mar 2011 11:11pm
Originally Posted by mondeo_st_99
We've thought about one but there's a few things that we're struggling to find out about them like if they have heaters in the rear and could you put child-locks on the back doors as 2 of are children are special needs with behavioral problems so tend to climb out of their seats and try and open doors and widows.

Can you not use a motability scheme?

Also what sort of price is "cheap"

Posted By: StuyMac Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 22nd Mar 2011 11:19pm
Originally Posted by Wench
[Linked Image]

What about one of these? Running costs are lower and a lot more fun wink

Does it run on peanuts? think
Posted By: TheDr Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 23rd Mar 2011 12:24am
Originally Posted by Wench
[Linked Image]

At least you'll have plenty of room for the chairs, it has quite a big trunk.
Posted By: TheDr Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 23rd Mar 2011 12:34am
I have a Chrysler Grand Voyager, I've had a few of them and they're good for getting people in and out of.

The Mk1, 2 and 3 all have fixed windows in the sliding doors (the Mk4 has electric windows but they can be isolated by the driver).

Dont go for the Voyager, you'll need the extra space in the Grand.

Fuel economy is dire so make sure you get one that is LPG converted. I like them, had a few, change them all the time, easy to fit TV's/DVD's etc into to keep the kids amused.

It is luxury motoring, comfortable over long distances, or go for the Mini-Bus, they work well, I'd look at the Ford Toureno or Renault T35 LWB, not the Mercedes Vito, comfortable but too tight for the child seats.

Posted By: mondeo_st_99 Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 23rd Mar 2011 7:13am
The children only get care component and as far as i'm aware it's not this that can be used for the motabily scheme? We habe about £3,000 to buy the car but then we're thinking of the cost of fixing things like head gasket or cam belt etc, also how easy parts would be to source for the car?

Posted By: starakita Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 23rd Mar 2011 9:42am
Ive got a toyota Estima Emina theres other similar models,the rear windows only open slightly the big sunroof can be locked by the driver, the rear passenger door slides open but there is a childlock. Its an 8 seater so youd get child seats in easily we got 3 adults &5 kids in 1 in a car seat plus luggage & we werent squashed. Ours has been reliable up to now but there seems to be a lot of them about so I should imagine spare parts shouldnt be hard to come by.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 23rd Mar 2011 10:16am
Chrysler Grand Voyager, Vauxhall Zafira, Ford S Max, Galaxy, Discovery, Audi Q7, VW Touran / Sharan, XC90 (Volvo), Renault Scenic to name a few, one for every taste and budget there
Posted By: marting Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 23rd Mar 2011 10:42am
hi im just about to sell a Chrystler Voyager 2000. It holds 7 seats and still has boot space. Sliding doors, full leather seats and will easily seat 5 car seats( i know we have done it!)If you are interested call me Paul on 0151 201 5758 or on 07983 220003 or email [email protected] and I can send you some pics, any questions just ask
Posted By: DavidB Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 23rd Mar 2011 11:44am
Originally Posted by starakita
Ive got a toyota Estima Emina

I'd go for this, they're spacious and have loads of gadgetry.
Posted By: SevenBabyBears Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 23rd Mar 2011 11:44am
The best car we ever had was a ford galaxy. It was the petrol version so a bit thirsty but if I ever needed an mpv again I would go for a diesel galaxy. We had it for around 5 ys and we were gutted to sell it but just didn't need a big car anymore.

We have also had a Renault Espace and never again! I know you can get good and bad with any model car but the amount of things that went wrong with that car was ridiculous, not just mechanical but electrical too. It totally put us off them.....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: whats a good reliable people carrier? - 23rd Mar 2011 9:00pm
We have the peugeot expert Tepee, very roomy, sliding rear doors, nice to drive and very good on diesel. we got the 6 seater, but you can have another 2 added. there is a lot of taxis useing them now..

[Linked Image]

© Wirral-Wikiwirral