Forums
Posted By: mistybluered Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 5th Mar 2011 10:16pm
Recently bought, When you first start the car the car ticks over fine at the right revs about 750 revs but after it warmed up the revs are running high and stays high at about 1500-1700 revs sometimes it can go as high as 2000- 2500 when your slowing down to a stop? if you turn the lights on and the heater on the revs go back to 750. Does anyone know what could be causing this as its got me baffled, Checked Air flow hoses for holes but non! the turbo kicks in at about 2000 revs and works fine
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 5th Mar 2011 10:19pm
how old is it?
Posted By: mistybluered Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 5th Mar 2011 10:23pm
T reg 1999
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 5th Mar 2011 10:27pm
is it smokey? stab in the dark either coolant temp sensor or chokes kicking in
Posted By: mistybluered Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 5th Mar 2011 10:38pm
not smokey it doesn't over heat but i must be honest the car heater doesn't throw out much heat either! could it be the idle sensor (isn't that the choke)
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 5th Mar 2011 11:04pm
could be, if you get stuck pm me ill take a look at it at my garage
Posted By: anniebo28 Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 6th Mar 2011 5:55am
defo look at the idle control valve, early fiesta's had the same problem. but also have a look inside the inlet manifold and at the top of the cams aswell, could be a bit more serious.
Posted By: mistybluered Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 9th Mar 2011 10:41am
When you say it could be a bit more serious what else could it be!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 9th Mar 2011 11:06am
Id guess that it will be a problem on the fuel pump / fuel delivery system - maybe something sticking in the diesel pump or a diaphram sticking open allowing more fuel to enter the engine and run on.

Disconnect the pipe circled in red and if it drips diesel then the diaphram in the unit circled in black will probably need replacing.

[Linked Image]

If it is that the part is very cheap and easy to fit smile
Posted By: mistybluered Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 9th Mar 2011 3:17pm
Well Chris gilly came to the rescue, The fuel pump timing was out and Chris sorted it! I would take mine and the wifes car to C G Motors any time

Thanks Chris
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 9th Mar 2011 3:37pm
Originally Posted by mistybluered
Well Chris gilly came to the rescue, The fuel pump timing was out and Chris sorted it! I would take mine and the wifes car to C G Motors any time

Thanks Chris
Love to know how you spotted that Chris, or is it a stock fault?
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 9th Mar 2011 7:44pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by mistybluered

Thanks Chris
Love to know how you spotted that Chris, or is it a stock fault?

it wasnt the timing, it just wanted me to work abit of magic on the pump wink just needed the fueling tweaking, and there was lots of air trapped by the coolant temp sensor so the coolant was properlly blead and topped up. smile
Posted By: mistybluered Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 9th Mar 2011 8:00pm
Either way it is now working a dream

thanks again
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Mondeo LXTD Revs too high. - 9th Mar 2011 9:51pm
glad to hear! anytime smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral