Forums
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 11:33am
Just took my car for an MOT and it failed frown

Its failed once before but only on registration lamp not working.

This time its failed for

001 Offside Headlamp Insecure

002 Offside Outer (Sill) Suspension Component Mounting Prescribed Area is excessivley corroded

003 Centre exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gasses

004 Nearside front brake hose has insufficient room to move resulting in fouling on any part

005 Offside front brake hose has insufficient room to move resulting in fouling on any part

Are these easy and cheap fixes coz i havent got a clue!

Posted By: Sanchez Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 11:57am
Sounds like half of them are made up, where did you take this bud?
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 12:05pm
Walshs on cleveland street just hoping its not an expensive problem to sort.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 12:17pm
Have you tried contacting Chris Gilly?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 12:44pm
Originally Posted by DJ_Karl_David
Just took my car for an MOT and it failed frown

Its failed once before but only on registration lamp not working.

This time its failed for

May need a new / 2nd hand headlight

002 Offside Outer (Sill) Suspension Component Mounting Prescribed Area is excessivley corroded

welding required - cost will depend how much, if its accessable etc...

new center section needed, or if the exhaust isnt to bad, welding

004 Nearside front brake hose has insufficient room to move resulting in fouling on any part

005 Offside front brake hose has insufficient room to move resulting in fouling on any part

both of these just sound like the flexi pipe is incorrectly secured, and should be a 2 min fix - DIY smile

Are these easy and cheap fixes coz i havent got a clue!

Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 6:30pm
cheers mate.

Hopefully wont cost me too much then.

Hopefully chris gilly see's this and can inbox me a rough quote wink
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 10:00pm
pop down and see me buddy, ill take a lookand do it as cheap as physically possible smile

broken brackets mostprob, mght be able to plastic weld wink

holed prob just a small hole near a drain hole

maybe a failed clamp

might be a twisted? same as below

Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 10:49pm
if i pop down tommorow with the fail sheet can you can asses the damage?
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 10:50pm
id need to see the car buddy smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 10:58pm
I had the headlight insecure thing and corrosion last year. I took it somewhere else and it passed. They sound like, as Sanchez says, a bit fickle and made up. Walsh's have a tendency to do the prescribed mounting point has corrosion thing as well.

Brake hoses just need zip tying up, surely? Doesn't sound expensive anyway.
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 11:09pm
Originally Posted by chris_gilly
id need to see the car buddy smile

Ill be in it! dont do walking haha got a week on current MOT anyway. apparantly im ok to still drive it til 11th march
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 11:10pm
great, any idea on a time?
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 11:11pm
Whenevers best for you mate.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Mot fail help. - 3rd Mar 2011 11:15pm
anytime after 10 buddy smile
Posted By: rockster Re: Mot fail help. - 4th Mar 2011 10:29pm
I stopped taking my cars to walsh's years ago because they were getting too fickle.
The only thing going for them is you dont have to pre book.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mot fail help. - 4th Mar 2011 10:58pm
Originally Posted by rockster
I stopped taking my cars to walsh's years ago because they were getting too fickle.
The only thing going for them is you dont have to pre book.
One of the young lads is a pain there, I've driven round the block to avoid him the last two times I used them and got two passes.

I disagree with retest fees, they give the garage an incentive to fail if they are a bit slack, retest is really easy money.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Mot fail help. - 4th Mar 2011 11:00pm
i go to my old work with my cars, no retest fees regardless of fail

seeyou monday karl wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mot fail help. - 4th Mar 2011 11:15pm
I hate asking what the retest fees are - its like saying "I know there is something that should fail"
Posted By: 1971efc Re: Mot fail help. - 4th Mar 2011 11:31pm
stay away from walsh`s,, i took a car there once with brakes and it came off the ramps without brakes so i couldnt drive it away and a £400 repair bill
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mot fail help. - 5th Mar 2011 12:02am
Originally Posted by 1971efc
stay away from walsh`s,, i took a car there once with brakes and it came off the ramps without brakes so i couldnt drive it away and a £400 repair bill
You may notice their signs are red - don't take a car in with EFC stickers on it raftl
Posted By: 1971efc Re: Mot fail help. - 5th Mar 2011 1:31am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by 1971efc
You may notice their signs are red - don't take a car in with EFC stickers on it raftl
maybe so but they do one car a day with a made up mot failure and a £400 bill,, that works out at 2k a week and 100k a year,,, nice money if you can get it
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Mot fail help. - 5th Mar 2011 11:11am
If this is the place where they have another garage over the road (or use to) I have a story:

My dad put his car in for the mot inn the mid 90's and it failed on the emissions, he took it a few yards to their other garage to have the emissions sorted got the paperwork and went back all in about 10 minutes . . . and it failed on the emissions again. They said it was HIS fault and took no responsability until he threatened legal action, all in all it took them 3 goes and around an hour of pi55ing around to get it right, needless to say no family member has been there since.

Also if they really are this bad I feel sorrty for taxi drivers as I believe it's the only place that can mot taxis, maybe I am wrong?
Posted By: DavidB Re: Mot fail help. - 5th Mar 2011 11:29am
I've seen other places that do taxi's, but it seems to be the most popular. They're not that bad there tbh.
I don't like the idea of MOT stations having a garage alongside it = we fail it, and then we fix it.

You don't pay a retest fee if you bring the car back before the end of the next working day.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Mot fail help. - 6th Mar 2011 11:20pm
They are the only VOSA Test station for Taxis on the Wirral....
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Mot fail help. - 7th Mar 2011 8:45am
Walsh's don't charge for a retest... I've taken 3 cars there in the past 4 months and I've found them very fair
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Mot fail help. - 7th Mar 2011 8:55am
Originally Posted by polo_phil
Walsh's don't charge for a retest... I've taken 3 cars there in the past 4 months and I've found them very fair

Same, they charge a fair whack as they will see your car with no notice in under an hour.
Posted By: starakita Re: Mot fail help. - 7th Mar 2011 9:47am
weve taken our car to walshes mainly cos they were taxis in the past. we had a shogun that got through ok & a citroen which got through just had to get a new tyre there was no retest fee cos we took it back next day,although cos the citroen was a taxi over 8 years old it had to go through every 6 months council licensing rules.
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Mot fail help. - 9th Mar 2011 10:51am
just to let you all know it passed this morning on its retest after chris gilly worked his magic on it
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Mot fail help. - 9th Mar 2011 11:00am
Great news! joyride
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Mot fail help. - 9th Mar 2011 7:44pm
good to hear karl!
Posted By: markyport Re: Mot fail help. - 11th Mar 2011 12:44am
I agree, Not taking your car to Walshys can save you alot of money.
Apparently, As i`ve been told by alot of friends that when your car goes in there they make up other jobs for you to repair first before they can do the initial work you put it in for.
So I took my car in there anyway and they told me I needed this and that doing, So I then took it to A reputable well known garage for second advice and they told me that all I needed to do was get a new clutch and that was it.
They fitted the clutch very well and they were the cheapest aswell.
So advice is NEVER goto Walshys Garage for anything...
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Mot fail help. - 11th Mar 2011 8:39am
As I said earlier.,.. I have found Walsh's very fair for MOTs. granted I could probably have saved a few quid if i'd shopped around and booked it into somewhere else. But since I live right by Walsh's it is convienient for me to just drive in and out...

I don't and wouldn't take my car to Walsh's for general repairs because I use a very good garage (Chris_Gilly) for that smile
Posted By: reddragon Re: Mot fail help. - 11th Mar 2011 9:23am
My late uncle was only licensed to drive reliant 3 wheelers and he took his car in for Mot at Walsh's as the one behind the brown cow in bebington didn't do reliant tests anymore as it only had 3 wheels they cudn't do it straight away as they had to sort a pit where they could make a plaform for the front wheel to rest on anyway when my uncle returned to Walsh's he was told there was a major problem with his reliant he asked what so they said we'll show you so they took him to the " OUT " side of the testing bays and there was his car with all the front corner smashed up. One of the mechanic/testers had decided to take it for a test drive as he had never driven a 3 wheeler before as he turned left from Walsh's down corporation road the car toppled over onto it's side and smashed the body which is fibreglass naturally Walsh's had to repair the car which took over a week. Naturally my uncle was fuming but to make the problem lighter Walsh's said but your car passed it's m.o.t.
Apologies for this being long winded.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral