Forums
Posted By: AX_125 Car advice - 7th Feb 2011 8:30am
I was pretty set on buying a 2006/07 Focus diesel estate with around 70k on the click for around £4.5k as i need something cheap, practical and reliable as a family car.

However I drove a Toyota Avensis Diesel Estate over the weekend and was very impressed with the build quality. It was a 2004 with 120k for £3k. very cheap insurance and repair costs. I was a little nervouse due to high mileage and the lack of a decent service history. 2 previous owners, once a company car.

What do you tthink?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Car advice - 7th Feb 2011 9:08am
Ive had a few Toyota Avensis's over the years as hire cars. Can vouch that they feel well put together, but Ive never had a high milage one.

Compaired to other cars however, I found them to be more thirsty think

For a car that size, you cant go wrong with a Mondeo - if I where in the market for that sort of car, with that sort of budget, Id prolly go Mondeo TDCi
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Car advice - 7th Feb 2011 11:03am
MPG is exactly the same, insurance is much cheaper on the Toyota and servicing costs are also cheaper.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Car advice - 7th Feb 2011 11:10am
MPG may be the same on paper, but in real life Ive always found the Mondeo to be better on fuel.....
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Car advice - 7th Feb 2011 12:22pm
The Toyota works out around £200 per annum cheaper on insurance so it kind of evens it out.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Car advice - 7th Feb 2011 3:22pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
For a car that size, you cant go wrong with a Mondeo - if I where in the market for that sort of car, with that sort of budget, Id prolly go Mondeo TDCi

until it hits 100k ish and it eats it HP pump bye bye £1000 at least! frown mondeo tdci no thanks
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Car advice - 7th Feb 2011 3:42pm
Obviously I only got new ones as hire cars, but they where and still are available on our managers company car list.

I know of at least 5 in our office, all over 100k on the original pumps.

Its one of those things that "may" fail on any Derv, my Step mum has a 307 HDI, a very good diesel motor, and that has just needed a new high pressure pump at 90k.

IMO The Mondeos are more comfortable, economical (not that Ive looked in to service costs) and more spacious...
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Car advice - 7th Feb 2011 6:56pm
Originally Posted by AX_125
I was pretty set on buying a 2006/07 Focus diesel estate with around 70k on the click for around £4.5k as i need something cheap, practical and reliable as a family car.

However I drove a Toyota Avensis Diesel Estate over the weekend and was very impressed with the build quality. It was a 2004 with 120k for £3k. very cheap insurance and repair costs. I was a little nervouse due to high mileage and the lack of a decent service history. 2 previous owners, once a company car.

What do you tthink?

The price is right if its got full service history, They are about the best high miler diesel out there, Honda's are good too. K
© Wirral-Wikiwirral