Forums
Posted By: SevenBabyBears Cambelt change? - 25th Nov 2010 12:58pm
Hi, we have just bought a Peugeot 206 hdi and it states in the manual that the belt should be changed at 144k? Does this seem a bit high. There is 68k on the clock at present....
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Cambelt change? - 25th Nov 2010 1:10pm
It is correct that some of the HDi engines run high-mileage/lon-life cambelts, and 144k is something I have heard of many times, but id still be looking to get it done pre-100k if I were you, certainly something to consider.

Also, get the tensioners and water-pump done at the same time, its not much more cost for the parts.

Diesel cambelts don't tend to suffer the same amount of strain/wear as petrol, because they are lower-revving, but the general rulle is, whatever the service schedule says, half it or thereabouts, to be on the safe side. If the belt breaks, the cost of a repair to the engine is prohibitive to the point you may need/be cheaper to source a new engine, so for the sake of the cambelt change cost, its worth keeping on top of it.

smile
Posted By: SevenBabyBears Re: Cambelt change? - 25th Nov 2010 1:15pm
Thanks for that, we've never had a diesel before but OH is working a lot further afield now so needs must. The petrol was killing us so hoping it's a lot more economical.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Cambelt change? - 25th Nov 2010 1:16pm
That is a bit high - I drove a car well in 150k without ever having it's belt changed though. I'd get it changed if you feel like it, it's peace of mind over having the engine fixed because it went. smile
Posted By: SevenBabyBears Re: Cambelt change? - 25th Nov 2010 1:23pm
We had a clio in the past that the belt went on us on the Arrowe Park flyover in Woodchurch. It would have cost us over £600 to get it fixed according to the garage so it ended up getting scrapped. That was an Xreg 1.1 petrol and had about 89k on the clock. OH was gutted! Can't afford for it to happen again.
Posted By: johncon Re: Cambelt change? - 26th Nov 2010 8:59pm
Totaly agree with matt never run to full reccomended change time.
and always change belt / tensioners pump ect its a couple of hundred quid job but nothing to what it would cost if the belt lets go
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Cambelt change? - 26th Nov 2010 9:24pm
Originally Posted by SevenBabyBears
We had a clio in the past that the belt went on us on the Arrowe Park flyover in Woodchurch. It would have cost us over £600 to get it fixed according to the garage so it ended up getting scrapped. That was an Xreg 1.1 petrol and had about 89k on the clock. OH was gutted! Can't afford for it to happen again.

thats abit dear! parts for the 8v motor are cheap as! shouldnt be paying more than 300-400! tops!
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Cambelt change? - 26th Nov 2010 9:35pm
from auto data

peugeot 206

Service intervals

Every 20.000 miles

Timing belt

replacement every 90.000 miles or 10 years under normal conditions

replacement every 72.000miles or 5 years under adverse conditions

© Wirral-Wikiwirral