Forums
Posted By: DavidB Removing rust with electrolysis - 11th Jul 2010 10:37am
Finally got round to rebuilding more calipers, so I thought I'd do the electrolysis thing.
All you need is a plastic bowl, a big sacrificial piece of metal, a battery charger, bicarbonate of soda and a rusty piece of metal.

Fill plastic bowl to cover rusty item. Put a tablespoon of Bicarbonate of soda in for every gallon water (about 5 litres).

Connect black wire (negative) to the item being de-rust-ified, and the red to the sacrificial metal (a big spanner in this case). You can submerge the black wire, but don't submerge the red wire, or it'll short and blow the charger:

[Linked Image]

Five minutes in and bubbles were rising from the caliper and the rust was 'flowing' to the spanner:

[Linked Image]

Half an hour later, and the water was turning a murky brown:

[Linked Image]

2 hours later, and the caliper was invisible due to rank water (I wasn't sitting there watching all this wink ):

[Linked Image]

I turned the caliper every three hours to get proper coverage (the side facing towards the spanner got cleaner):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...:

[Linked Image]

This was about 9 hours of being in soak - there will be a very loose layer of rust which comes straight off with a wire brush or from scraping with a screwdriver:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Poor spanner:

[Linked Image]

Next time will use a proper surrounding metal thing.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Removing rust with electrolysis - 11th Jul 2010 10:52am
Looks to have worked a lot better than the vinegar happy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Removing rust with electrolysis - 11th Jul 2010 11:30am
Thanks for that. The results look quite impressive ! Any idea of what sort of load/amperage was involved when it was in "full fizz" mode ?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Removing rust with electrolysis - 11th Jul 2010 11:59am
full fizz mode lol, I think 12v is enough, maybe 24.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Removing rust with electrolysis - 11th Jul 2010 12:00pm
oh and prob at 2amp
Posted By: DavidB Re: Removing rust with electrolysis - 11th Jul 2010 12:13pm
I used 3a. smile Should've taken a photo before, it was covered in that scaly, thick rust.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral