Forums
Posted By: DavidB Need MOT done today! - 21st Jun 2010 9:18am
After an MOT centre, is there any around the Wirral that aren't too busy?
Not too keen on the one near the Four Bridges, as they're overpriced and too strict.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Need MOT done today! - 21st Jun 2010 9:27am
Try Park Garage in Rock Ferry - thats where I always go smile

647 6430
Posted By: DavidB Re: Need MOT done today! - 21st Jun 2010 9:29am
Got it sorted!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Need MOT done today! - 21st Jun 2010 9:30am
Phoned Orchard Quick Fit on St Paul's Lane.
Never thought of Park Garage, that's Neil Philpott's place isn't it?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Need MOT done today! - 21st Jun 2010 10:25am
Originally Posted by DavidB

Never thought of Park Garage, that's Neil Philpott's place isn't it?

yes
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Need MOT done today! - 21st Jun 2010 11:20am
There is always that one oppersite lvw's down the north end...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Need MOT done today! - 21st Jun 2010 11:24am
Think that's the one he wanted to avoid Andy lol.

Though Kamil took his Civic there, expecting it to fail on a few things, and it got through with no advisories, so they may not be so strict afterall?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Need MOT done today! - 21st Jun 2010 11:52am
yer walshes, I've been there thinkin i'll fail but it sailed through. More pricy than everywhere else but you will get seen to within 2 hours and they are actually quite fair.
Posted By: Wench Re: Need MOT done today! - 21st Jun 2010 2:12pm
Nick Walsh's - had a lot of dealings with him and he's a great, honest guy. A fair few of my friends and family go to him and all are more than happy with the service there.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Need MOT done today! - 21st Jun 2010 9:38pm
Yeah, the bloke was really friendly in Walsh's, I just think 50 quid is a bit high. wink
Took it to Orchard which I've used before, unfortunately the car was overheating due to some other random thing so he couldn't test it. And I forgot to put the bonnet latch on so he couldn't open it. And the light fell out. laugh
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Need MOT done today! - 21st Jun 2010 10:04pm
Originally Posted by DavidB
Yeah, the bloke was really friendly in Walsh's, I just think 50 quid is a bit high. wink
Took it to Orchard which I've used before, unfortunately the car was overheating due to some other random thing so he couldn't test it. And I forgot to put the bonnet latch on so he couldn't open it. And the light fell out. laugh
Sounds like the printer might run out of ink if he had of tested it!
Posted By: kimpri Re: Need MOT done today! - 21st Jun 2010 11:26pm
Originally Posted by Wench
Nick Walsh's - had a lot of dealings with him and he's a great, honest guy. A fair few of my friends and family go to him and all are more than happy with the service there.
Nick is the secretary in Walsh's auto body shop,
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Need MOT done today! - 22nd Jun 2010 12:59am
Some ppl on here have had a go at people for going to places like Kwikfit but from reading this thread I guess going to anywhere that gets you through you MOT can't be scorned. FFS at least be consistent.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Need MOT done today! - 22nd Jun 2010 1:40am
When I take any of my cars for an MoT I always ask the examiner to let me know if anything, even if it passes, needs looking at.
I rely on my car to do what I want when I want it to, and EVERYTHING in the MoT is there for a reason.
I don't want someone to pass it because the lights are only just dazzling the lorry driver coming in the other direction, I don't want them to ignore the faded indicator bulb so the mum with her car full of kids doesn't see me turning, I want it to work and I want it to work properly.
Yes I hate it when my car fails, yes I hate having to pay huge amounts of money for something that seems so minor, and yes I know some places are stricter than others, but if you were BUYING a car to transport your family in, which place would you want the MoT to have been done at ?
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Need MOT done today! - 22nd Jun 2010 1:55am
Well said the Dr.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Need MOT done today! - 22nd Jun 2010 10:24pm
There is always difference of opinion with various MOT centres. I guess the biggest thing I see is how they react when stuff fails. I had a leaky brake hose on my last one that only required about half a turn with a spanner. Why they couldn't have done this whilst it was up on the ramp, I don't know.

Had to take it home, sort it and bring it back. About 2 hours of my life that I won't get back!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Need MOT done today! - 23rd Jun 2010 7:07am
They could have stripped the thread / snapped the brake pipe doing it, and where would that leave them think
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Need MOT done today! - 23rd Jun 2010 5:07pm
if they swang off it with a torque wrench then yes, but hardly likely with a small amount of force from a 12mm spanner.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Need MOT done today! - 23rd Jun 2010 5:15pm
I may be wrong but I don't think they're allowed to repair anthing they find wrong (no matter how trivial)?
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Need MOT done today! - 23rd Jun 2010 5:50pm
that's how most garages make their money, remedial works from MOTs.

I tend to fix the car myself and take it back. I hate garaqes with a passion; if I thought they were trying it on I'd contact VOSA or sue them. I only go near garages when I absolutely have to.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Need MOT done today! - 23rd Jun 2010 6:55pm
I meant they're not allowed to do (even apparently simple) repairs to a failing item DURING an MOT test.
If the vehicle remains on the premises, of course, yes, you can have them repair it but only AFTER the failed test (and then they can retest most things for free within 10 days, IIRC)?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Need MOT done today! - 23rd Jun 2010 7:28pm
You are correct CV

They can complete the MOT repair minor defects on the spot and then using the PRS (Pass after Repair at Station) system, issue the fail and pass certificate at the same time, this saves a bit of mucking around of formally failing it, then repairing, then passing it.

The only repair during MOT that VOSA are at all lenient on is headlamp adjustment - anything else VOSA will raise an issue with repairs being done during the MOT. But even headlamp adjustment is against the rules - its just to save putting the measurement equipment away to get it back out again.

The main reason for this appears to be for VOSA to collect statistics on what fails.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Need MOT done today! - 23rd Jun 2010 7:51pm
raftl makes a bit more sense with a comma after the first MOT ...

They can complete the MOT, repair minor defects on the spot and then using the PRS ....
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Need MOT done today! - 23rd Jun 2010 9:53pm
As a customer you wouldn't care if it had failed then afterwards they'd tell you that some remedial work needed carrying out. If the cost was modest you'd probably agree then let them re-test. The issue I see it having to take it away and bring it back when it's something the garage could have easily addressed when the car was on the ramp.

In my experiences some cheaper MOT garages will make a meal out of it and try and charge you above the odds for the likes of bulbs and windscreen wipers. This happened to my girlfriend the other week. Garage wanted £25 for wiper blades, we got them in Halfords for about £8 and took them along when we picked the car up.

Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Need MOT done today! - 24th Jun 2010 7:06am
you can moan all you like about garages, however when you run one you know what its like, theres all sorts of bills to pay rent, electric,gas,rates,water,wages etc etc, so they need to make some money wink

also what DD says is true, i used to do MOT testing wink
it is ILLEGAL for a tester to damage/repair a car, and there is a prison sentance involved if im right!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Need MOT done today! - 24th Jun 2010 7:06am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
They can complete the MOT repair minor defects on the spot and then using the PRS (Pass after Repair at Station) system

Even then, there is a list of what they are allowed to do on that day, and I think brakes is not included. Some MOT stations dont have Garage facilities, of which I think Walsh's is one....

I can see it from the point of the customer - wanting to get through and MOT, but if you were the tester, and you nipped the line up and it fractured - how would you explain to the customer that they needed a new brake line when it was just in for an MOT think

I have a friend with an MOT station / garage, and you get some really arsey customers who would kick off about something like that even when you are trying to help them out [Linked Image]

Ive seen bulbs changed, washer jets cleaned, and headlights adjusted to get cars through, but anything more serious is generally left as not to clog up the test bay; for a better reason.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Need MOT done today! - 24th Jun 2010 6:15pm
TO which MOT testing station you take your car to is your own personal choice. There could be a number of reasons why you may pick a particular test centre including:

* Cost
* Workshop facilities
* Ability to fit you in
* Previous experiences
* Recomendations.

If the car fails you have again another choice what to do:

* Ask the garage where the MOT took place to repair it, if they have workshop facilities and can provide you with a quote
* Repair it yourself and take it back
* Take it to another garage altogether
* scrap or sell the car.

It's always best to consider your options to make a choice on the appropiate course of action to take. Most MOT centres would be able to give a ball park cost on the remedial work or suggest an appropiate place to take the car to if they can't do it themselves.

It's like anything else you buy in life, it pays to shop around when the price quoted is expensive.

As for moaning about garages, the customer is KING. They pay the bills, without the customers there is no business. If the customer thinks they are getting ripped off they will just go elsewhere.

Garages are not unique, all businesses have overheads and how businesses are run will ultimately deteremine their success; charging customers particular prices is only a small part of it.

It's a very crowded market and there are plenty of garages and MOT centres everywhere.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Need MOT done today! - 25th Jun 2010 1:54am
Just used Cavendish today (Pass - yeah!), £47 no nonsense, usually do bulbs free.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Need MOT done today! - 25th Jun 2010 8:52am
I took the car to get MOT'd, and apart from the tester being all hissy and bitchy (saying it was only good for 'the oval'), he said I needed extensive welding to 'excessive corrosion' on the rear sills (both sides).

a) The sills are covered with 'side skirts'. These are clipped on,
b) The tester isn't allowed to remove the side skirts, or even pry them back for a better look,
c) There's no corrosion there,
d) There's NO fooking CORROSION.

Apart from seam sealer from new arches welded in, there's nothing there

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Need MOT done today! - 25th Jun 2010 9:10am
Take it back with the skirts removed so he can see they are ok... think
Posted By: DavidB Re: Need MOT done today! - 25th Jun 2010 9:27am
double post!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Need MOT done today! - 25th Jun 2010 9:27am
I'm not doing that, if he's guessing they're bad without actually being able to see them?!
I took it elsewhere and it passed. This is why I hate the MOT procedure. I was advised to take it to VOSA in Wrexham to have it inspected against the original MOT fail certificate. wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Need MOT done today! - 25th Jun 2010 1:33pm
Rub his nose in it by going back to the station that failed it and ask for a VT17, just to put the habjabs up them, if they want to back down just ask for the MOT fee back.

For the appeal process you have to fill in a VT17 and get it retested at a VOSA station AND have to pay them the full test fee in advance which they either partly or fully refund depending on the outcome of the test.

Whilst they might not be allowed to take the skirts off, they could have declared in untestable because they didn't have access to examine properly. They would have to be able to do this otherwise anyone can just glue a bit of plastic over any dodgy areas.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Need MOT done today! - 25th Jun 2010 1:50pm
It hasn't bothered any other MOT station in 8 years, they're factory fitted, with plastic clips (not glue), you can see parts of the sill through square holes in the plastic.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Need MOT done today! - 25th Jun 2010 2:52pm
Just checking the refusal regulations and can't find a corresponding paragraph, however if its too dirty they can refuse (typical inconsistencies with MOT regs).

I'd still try it on with the station and ask for a VT17 as a bluff to try and get your money back, you've got your MOT so no comeback on you.

I am very surprised at what is advisory these days instead of a fail and what has been removed from the inspection - as numerous people have said - god rest us if they do go to 2 year testing, there will be loads of death traps on the road.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Need MOT done today! - 25th Jun 2010 4:40pm
Things still break off days after MOT's, it'd still mean possible deathtraps on the road even if you had them every month - god forbid.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Need MOT done today! - 25th Jun 2010 6:39pm
Dave i took my kit off the other day as i`m getting the car ready for respray and my sills are mint, and no they aren`t allowed to remove the kit smile

Attached picture IMG_1043.JPG
Posted By: DavidB Re: Need MOT done today! - 25th Jun 2010 10:35pm
You got it back! Only seems the arches go on these cars eh?

The problem is, the two lads that work there are really sound and are fixing a car for a mate for peanuts purely because she's broke. Think I'll just leave it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral