Forums
Posted By: mightybubble dodgy rev counter - 2nd Apr 2010 5:34pm
hi all,
just brought my 1st ph1 almera GTi. very pleased with the car grin only problem tht i have is incorrect reading at the rev counter.
sometimes it goes straight into the red when the engine starts, but at the moment it shows 2000rpm at tick over.
next time i start the engine it might not work for 5 mins then do the same (register 1000 above actual engine speed) anyone else had this problem? or do i just swap the rev counter and hope its tht?
ive checked the signal from the ecu and it rises and falls with the engine so dont think its this?
any advice would be appreciated
Eddie
Posted By: StuyMac Re: dodgy rev counter - 2nd Apr 2010 6:08pm
Sounds like its the clocks...
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: dodgy rev counter - 2nd Apr 2010 9:34pm
withthat

change clocks first if everything else is ok smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: dodgy rev counter - 4th Apr 2010 7:51pm
Something's knackered, can you smell burning or similar?
Posted By: Neil_c Re: dodgy rev counter - 27th Apr 2010 6:02pm
If the car is not hunting and idles at the correct speed, then it's likely to be the counter. Scrap yard job should do the trick. Taking a dashboard apart is no easy trick and you have to be very careful not to scratch the plastic. It is do-able, but it just takes time. Start by pulling all the knobs off and looking for plastic screw blanking plates.

The diagnostic unit (most garages have one) can read the rev output from the ECU to check it's ok, but they will likely charge you a diagnostic fee.

If the car sounds ok and doesn't hunt, it's probably not worth the hastle of reading the ECU.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral