Forums
Posted By: MattLFC GM To Wind Down Saab Brand - 19th Dec 2009 7:17am
Originally Posted by BBC News
GM says it has failed to sell its Swedish car brand Saab and will begin "an orderly wind-down of Saab operations". GM had been in talks with the Dutch speciality car maker Spyker over a sale. Talks with Sweden's Koenigsegg also fell through earlier this year.

"We regret that we are not able to complete this transaction with Spyker Cars," said GM Europe boss Nick Reilly. GM has been trying to sell Saab as part of its turnaround plans since January.

Mr Reilly added that all debts would be paid and that the winding-down would be "an orderly process". On a conference call, GM vice-president John Smith said it became clear that there were serious problems with the Spyker talks that could not be resolved. He said: "We reached a point of impasse, we decided to deal with it and move on."

A statement from the firm said that Saab would continue to honour all warranties, while providing service and spare parts to current Saab owners around the world.

I don't know whether im surprised or not by this... I guess, the writing was always on the wall as far as Saab and GM were concerned, but I honestly thought that someone would be prepared to take on the brand...

BBC News Report
Posted By: DavidB Re: GM To Wind Down Saab Brand - 19th Dec 2009 12:28pm
Seems Sweden really wants to hold onto it - they are really proud of the brand.
Thanks GM, thanks city bankers, thanks government.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral