Forums
Posted By: Volly Reverse Light switch/relay on a Zafira........ ?? - 25th Nov 2009 11:01pm
Hi,

Does anyone know where to locate the switch / relay that activates the reverse lights on a Vauxhall Zafira?

Both my reverse lights stopped working last weekend so I replaced both bulbs tonight and still no luck.
I'm guessing that there's probably something wrong with the switch or relay or whatever that activates them when I put the car in reverse gear but I don't know where it is situated within the car.

Here's the spec:
V reg ( 1999 )
1.6 Petrol
"Lift Up" mechanism on gear stick for reverse action.

Any clues would be appreciated as I'd like a general idea of what area to look in before working my way through the whole car this weekend.

Cheers,
Volly
Reverse switch is either at the side/rear of gearstick below floor or on a switch on gearbox housing. First i would check wiring on switch (prob on gearbox on Zafira!), check connectivity and for breaks. Check for corrosion on terminals too. Switch can be tested easily with a simple multimeter or a bulb and some wire for continuity. Suspect either switch or wiring, commonest causes!
Thanks for that - so I'll be checking the bottom part of the gear stick or the gear box housing - should be somewhere around there.

Cheers,
Volly
It's on the top of the gearbox, look for two wires going in - it's on a thread and screws in, should be 15mm socket. They've been using the same switch, which is basically a plunger on the end of a switch, for decades. You can take it from any Vauxhall and it'll be the same.
WONDERFUL!!

Thanks a lot
Been a while since i worked on a new fangled vehicle, im into anything pre 1971 now. Most of the switches are on the gearstick housing for my cars! Hope you get sortedtho
© Wirral-Wikiwirral