Forums
Posted By: MGCraig Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 11:26am
Hey guys, pissed off with the MG now.

Is anyone, or does anyone know of an Auto Electrician with Diagnostics kit etc?

My Blowers, Rear Wiper, Mirrors and Air Con keep blowing the 15A fuse every time I use any one of them. Ive had the blower motor out, checking bearings and connections, all of the systems resistors etc and so far found nothing somad

Its getting annoying, specially as its getting colder so foggy windows, and I kinda need it for tonight (for the CW Bonfire meet) but definately for tomorrow evening (Going to Manchester for a gig)

Id do it myself, but Ive lost patience, and dont have the kit.

Cheers happy
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 11:33am
exploding penguines dads an auto spark with the machine, get in touch bud!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 11:57am
Cheers mate.

Ill have to postpone any "work" that needs doing to it, have no cash frown

Seriously wish I had the Alfa back at the minute...
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 1:00pm
Does it work straight after putting a new fuse in? or does it blow after a few seconds?
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 1:26pm
Hard to say, it done both.

10A blew soon as I turned the ignition...

One 15A blew after about 10 minutes of blower use
Second 15A blew after one use of rear wiper to clear the screen.

Left the bitch at an Auto Electrician now, see what he says happy
Posted By: DavidB Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 1:37pm
Probably water from the heavy rain we've been having?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 1:49pm
had a few rovers were the seal is fooked round the front windscreen and when it rains water gets into the Heater Matrixes. fooking that up.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 3:36pm
Well hes had a look at it.....and cant find the problem !!
Will need to spend a few days at least apparently.

Going to Bypass the blowers so I can use them, and then if I want to go ahead with it, hell fix it at a later date.

£58 though?

For Sale - 1 MG ZS, with slightly suspect Electrics. Enquire by PM somad
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 4:06pm
Originally Posted by MGCraig
For Sale - 1 MG ZS, with slightly suspect Electrics.

What next, a Fiat? think
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 4:54pm
A Perodua Nippa? think

[Linked Image]

Posted By: DavidB Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 5:03pm
Unplug the wing mirrors, my MG caught fire on the mirror, I think it had shorted.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 5:38pm
Mirrors, rear wiper and aircon have been unplugged.

Blowers routed to the Alternator!

He says hes narrowed it down to the engine bay, most likely the Air con. Will take about 2 days he reckons.

So Ill hand it in on Tuesday to Drayton... claim its still under warranty and let them sort it.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 6:38pm
Yep, not your problem mate, thats the only beauty of buying from a dealer, the warranty!

laugh
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 5th Nov 2009 7:54pm
Only thing I have to cling onto atm dude frown
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 7th Nov 2009 1:00am
Annnnndddd another problem.....

Front passenger electric window now doesnt work, and neither dooes the Fecking Lock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

somad somad somad

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 7th Nov 2009 2:37am
You have a serious problem mate, and you should have had it back the dealer straight away and had them sorting it out.

My 420 (same car for the uninitiated) was top of the range, and had far more electrics than any ZS or ZS+, and never had any electrical problems. There's a fault somewhere, and it is the dealers responsibility to trace it and fix it for you whilst under warranty.

Hope ye get it sorted mate, sounds like the car has a mind of its own!! HGF all we like, and isolated eletrical issues, but never really heard of this type of issue before on an MGR to be honest. You should just give up with cars lol, you are one unlucky chappy!
Posted By: AlpineA610Turbo Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 7th Nov 2009 7:22am
Agree with the above. Get it back to the dealer as no car as young as yours should have such an array of issues and if it has a warranty then they should be sorting it. Make sure you get a courtesy car too!! ;-)
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 7th Nov 2009 10:43am
By a push bike. Then again no, the brakes would probably fail or the chain fall off. omg

Stay away from mechanical things with wheels.

Maybe you have a highly powered electro-magnetic field around you, so when you get near cars you kill them?
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 7th Nov 2009 11:23am
Maybe my problem is I go for cars a bit rarer than ay, the average mundane focus or Astra. But then again, maybe theres a reason they are rare.

Im sick and tired of having so many headaches with cars. Focus for next car I think, but in saying that, Ill hate it, and be put off cars for life. Plus no doubt Ill somehow find something wrong with it frown

Im liking the idea of a courtesy car, never thought of that. Although being Drayton, I can imagine it being a Volvo of some kind... hmmmmm T5?
Posted By: AlpineA610Turbo Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 7th Nov 2009 12:23pm
I understand the rarity thing!!! I also understand dodgy electrics (mine are usually of the French variety!) Life would be very boring if we all drove focus's and astra's though. A T5 Volvo would be very nice although I suspect it would be a C30 if they have courtesy cars available. I also have a Volvo S60 2.5T and it goes like stink, can see why the bizzies use them!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 7th Nov 2009 1:13pm
craig you need jap or german for reliablility!
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 7th Nov 2009 1:18pm
as already said,half your problem is the cars you are choosing!!

Try something German and over-engineered!! thumbsup
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 7th Nov 2009 2:55pm
Jap... No Thanks. Not into the idea of Jap. Only sort of Jap cars Id like would be silly stripped out ones...and Im not into all the big wheels, bodykits + drifting stuff anymore.

Not my scene.

As for German! My dads had 2 A3s, both had problems with them (yes, even a brand new one) and my bro brought his 528 schnitzer up from London the other day, so we could fix his electrics, front light dipping mechanism AND his ridiculus draining battery.

NO THANKS raftl raftl

I think the main problem Ive been blighted with here, is shoddy workmanship from "Supposed" professionals! I had it with the Alfa, and Im having it with the MG

Is it too much to ask to send it back to the Auto Electrician, demand my money back and to set the car back to the way it was??
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 7th Nov 2009 3:10pm
fair play craig, its always a gamble buying a car mate i know lol, but i do hope you can fix the rover, must be wrecking your head!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 7th Nov 2009 8:03pm
Not having much luck are you mate frown

The warrenty will stand for all of those problems though smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 11th Nov 2009 2:22pm
How are you getting on with getting this sorted mate?

Have you taken it in? Have they found the fault? What was it?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 11th Nov 2009 2:33pm
Originally Posted by Beaker
How are you getting on with getting this sorted mate?

Have you taken it in? Have they found the fault? What was it?

The fault?
He bought a Rover.

*getting my coat very quickly* seeyu
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 11th Nov 2009 5:00pm
Shush snooze...time to get over the OAP Micra raftl

Still in the garage, was unable to get a courtesy car as they were all booked out.

They rang up today to say theyre still looking for the problem, but reckon its behind the dash.

Lost interest now though, just had enough.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 13th Nov 2009 6:19pm
Problem found, and cured laugh

Turns out a single wire from the main loom had become trapped, and started causing havoc :S

All sorted under warranty happy
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 13th Nov 2009 6:21pm
Nice one fella!! Made for ye, now you can get back to enjoying the car!! What a simple and silly problem, gutted it took so long to diagnose.

The 75/ZT suffer from one massive electrical problem, well sort of... the ECU is located in the drainage plenum!! I have to check it once a month to make sure the drains dont get blocked, or my ECU will be swimming!! What a stupid idea that was, the guy who designed it must have lived in the Carribean or summit lol.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 13th Nov 2009 6:30pm
Apparently.... and I dunno if this 100% true or not.
MGR have good electrics, but they ruined them by securing the loom and every other random bit of wire very tightly to the body. Every bump you go over, can cause a problem like mine. With a normal rover, it shouldnt prove too be too much of a problem, but obviously can still happen.

The MGs being stiffer, will more often than not see this problem at some point, thanks to the wires chafing etc etc. A silly solution like that, causing so many problems eh somad
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 13th Nov 2009 6:36pm
Possibly true, have not heard anything like it on the MGR forums over the years, but I have also not seen many electrical issues at all (except a couple of common electrical-related starting faults amazingly on the BMW M47 diesel lumps for some reason).

I know they were random with how much wiring they installed, in some cars the ECU can have upto half a metre excess wiring leading to it, in others it can be so tight the only way to gain any flexibity at all is to remove the plug, so it would'nt surprise me if the stretching of the wiring on some cars does not have a part to play in it.

I know things got very hard for them in the final 12 months, as they were struggling to obtain credit from their suppliers, so they were being stingy/downgrading everything where they feasably could for the facelift range, right down to the quality of steel being used in panels and cloth on the seats etc... Probably some of the best built car's you will ever see thanks to the dedication and will of the staff, desperately fighting for the future of their jobs, just a shame they didnt have all the best quality components anymore.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 13th Nov 2009 6:41pm
Sound proofing in the body, centre air vent on the dash for demisting windows etc etc raftl

Saving money, and making the car lighter as well hahahaha
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 13th Nov 2009 6:42pm
Yep, unfortunately "Project Drive" was in full swing by the time they made your car. Twas a shame tbh.

Although un-noticeable by most, even the 75 took a hammering from PD... removal/downsizing of badges, unless you had the leather interior, it went from thick, expensive upholstery to cheap-ass thin cloth like the type you get in Ford Mondeo's and Vauxhall Vectra's, the dashboards changed from real wood to plastic wood lmao etc.

frown

But hey, you have the second best looking car of the MG-R and Rover-Group period, so your okay!!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 13th Nov 2009 7:39pm
I've found the wiring on the MG to the be probably the best quality I've seen. All the connections are properly soldered and the wiring is good quality stuff, with properly thick stuff used with adequate insulation. I removed a loom from my Astra and the bulkhead stripped off the insulation on some of the wires.
I just think you've just had a bit of bad luck, I've never bought a car that didn't have something go wrong with it. wink
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 13th Nov 2009 7:54pm
But isnt "your" MG the TF, the proper MG?
I can imagine them not cutting corners with the sports car, but with the Mongrels, Id imagine them not caring to be perfectly honest.

You are right though, I have had bad luck. Makes me laugh, Ive had as much bad luck with the MG as I did the Alfa, yet everyone still hates the Alfa and seems to praise the MG. Amazing what power Jeremy Clarkson has over people eh raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 13th Nov 2009 7:58pm
The F/TF was still based on a Rover concept; the MG affiliation was simply badge engineering, albeit there was never a Rover badged version lol.

Any car not made at Abingdon, is not a true MG, and this includes the Rover-Group produced MGB, RV8 and MGF/TF. Abingdon was closed down in 1986.

I don't buy into all this crap btw, but the MG owners clubs are very funny about non-Abingdon built cars, and for some reason a lot of them seem to really dislike the "Zeds". When the F owners start slating the Zeds on the MGR forums, they always get put in their place with the use of the Abingdon argument...

smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Dodgy MG Electrics! - 14th Nov 2009 9:05am
Glad you finally sorted it matey.

WRT the electrics, dad had sold 2 Rovers when their electrics became ropey, and the 2 I had where not brilliant in the electrics dept frown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral