Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Car Repair Costs Increasing - 22nd Sep 2009 12:32am
Originally Posted by BBC News
UK garages have increased the average price they charge to repair vehicles in the past year, despite the economic downturn, a survey has suggested.

The average price per hour of a mechanic's time rose from £75.17 to £75.85, said insurer Warranty Direct. There was an almost 5% fall in labour rates charged by franchised dealers, however cheaper independent workshops raised prices by 0.8%.

Average rates varied from £94.44 an hour in London, to £61.65 in Cornwall. The overall UK average franchised garage charged £90.16 an hour, while the typical price for an independent firm was £56.10.

The survey of 5,000 premises uncovered rates peaking at £190.35, however this was considerably below the high of £198.86 seen a year ago.

Motorists should shop around to "avoid being stung badly", said Duncan McClure of Warranty Direct. He added that the prices charged by franchised dealers had become "unsustainable" and so had begun to fall. "The way some workshops were increasing their charges year after year couldn't continue."

BBC News Report
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Car Repair Costs Increasing - 22nd Sep 2009 8:21am
jesus they re on more money than doctors. I'm openin up my own garage.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Car Repair Costs Increasing - 22nd Sep 2009 8:47am
BMW in Liverpool charge £112+vat per hour in labour omg
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Car Repair Costs Increasing - 22nd Sep 2009 9:00am
jesus chew, glad i bought a merc now and not a beemer!
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: Car Repair Costs Increasing - 22nd Sep 2009 10:52am
I had my M3 serviced(could have done it myself but wanted the full main dealer history)and it was £101 per hour..so with parts it was £1,105..FOR A SERVICE!!!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Car Repair Costs Increasing - 22nd Sep 2009 10:54am
oris, what a joke
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Car Repair Costs Increasing - 22nd Sep 2009 11:32am
wow thats dear i only do £25 an hour so you all know were to go smile

Originally Posted by MattLFC
Originally Posted by BBC News
UK garages have increased the average price they charge to repair vehicles in the past year, despite the economic downturn, a survey has suggested.

The average price per hour of a mechanic's time rose from £75.17 to £75.85, said insurer Warranty Direct. There was an almost 5% fall in labour rates charged by franchised dealers, however cheaper independent workshops raised prices by 0.8%.

Average rates varied from £94.44 an hour in London, to £61.65 in Cornwall. The overall UK average franchised garage charged £90.16 an hour, while the typical price for an independent firm was £56.10.

The survey of 5,000 premises uncovered rates peaking at £190.35, however this was considerably below the high of £198.86 seen a year ago.

Motorists should shop around to "avoid being stung badly", said Duncan McClure of Warranty Direct. He added that the prices charged by franchised dealers had become "unsustainable" and so had begun to fall. "The way some workshops were increasing their charges year after year couldn't continue."

BBC News Report
Posted By: hoseman Re: Car Repair Costs Increasing - 22nd Sep 2009 7:12pm
Main dealers tho, they know you need THAT stamp in your service book!!
Used to have my own garage years ago and think only charged £40.00 plus parts for a service, and thats wheels off the lot!!!! Used to put a 30% mark up on parts and that was still cheaper than Joe Public paid as i got trade discount!
Main dealers are fooking useless anyway!!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Car Repair Costs Increasing - 23rd Sep 2009 9:32am
Originally Posted by Sanchez
jesus chew, glad i bought a merc now and not a beemer!

Give Mercedes a call and see what their hourly rate is wink
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Car Repair Costs Increasing - 23rd Sep 2009 3:16pm
I will, prob more expensive knowing my look frown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral