Forums
Posted By: MGCraig Re Spraying - 1st Sep 2009 2:49pm
An idea of prices guys?

What sort of price dya reckon Id be looking at to get a spoiler for the MG sanded and painted in Xpower Grey?

I was gonna buy one in the colour already, but they wanted £115 for it. Ive seen spoilers go for around £40, and was wondering if it would be cheaper to get one in any colour, and have it re-sprayed with one of the local bodyshops.

Im not desperate for it to be done asap, but would be nice in the enar future to have the spoiler on it happy
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Re Spraying - 1st Sep 2009 2:55pm
I got the Grille and Spoiler prepped and painted for that maroon Nissan for £50 IIRC
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Re Spraying - 1st Sep 2009 2:58pm
Did you do that yourself, or take it somewhere?

The Xpower Grey is apparently very difficult to spray yourself, quite a few layers etc.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Re Spraying - 1st Sep 2009 3:03pm
I gave it to someone to paint....

Try SprayForce - no harm in asking for a quote smile
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Re Spraying - 1st Sep 2009 3:06pm
Cheers fella laugh
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Re Spraying - 1st Sep 2009 4:41pm
Try Kerr Chan aswell.

He might give you a discount for being a cruisewirral member wink

View Larger Map
Posted By: DavidB Re: Re Spraying - 1st Sep 2009 4:52pm
Get down to Halfords and get some rattle can paint. It's rubbish for vertical stuff (like panels on the sides of cars), but for things you can lay flat it's ace. Get two tins and a tin of cellulose lacquer. Don't even bother sanding if you do quick, swift sprays.
I am master of bodge jobs though.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Re Spraying - 1st Sep 2009 6:27pm
Originally Posted by Violet
Get down to Halfords and get some rattle can paint. It's rubbish for vertical stuff (like panels on the sides of cars), but for things you can lay flat it's ace. Get two tins and a tin of cellulose lacquer. Don't even bother sanding if you do quick, swift sprays.
I am master of bodge jobs though.

ill agree on that! most of my old mini panels where done like that... good finish too smile
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Re Spraying - 1st Sep 2009 6:56pm
Problem is, to get a Grey similar from Halfrauds it has to be mixed, and if you wanted blue paint from them, and physically gave the yellow and green paint to mix for them, it would still turn out red.

Its very difficult to get a decent finish with it, many people on the MG-Rover forums have tried and failed it seems. Plus with getting it done professionally, you either get a decent finish, or you get your money back/get them to redo the job at no extra cost.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Re Spraying - 1st Sep 2009 11:04pm
Just pay someone to do it, much easier than arsing about yourself and screwing it up. You want it to be perfect, not put it on and wish you had got a pro to do it, because everytime you look at it you think... thats not quite right somehow!!

Id actually probably say the pre-coloured one might be a good idea, but then you may find your car's colour has changed very slightly over time, and it isnt 100% match; so you may find it better to get someone to colour-match generic bumper instead.

Where is the pre-coloured one from, Xpart? If so, they may be able to get one for you to look at before you buy. If not, id probably be hesitant to buy a pre-coloured one, especially over the net.

I wouldnt have thought getting it painted would be more than £70 or so, so even then it would only be the same price as the pre-coloured one.

smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Re Spraying - 7th Sep 2009 1:00pm
Think you've decided, get it done professionally. No mistakes or regrets then. wink
Posted By: Dave100e Re: Re Spraying - 24th Sep 2009 10:52pm
If its got any metalflake or extra layers then the paint might be expensive.

I can always ask Matt (with the green mk3 Golf VR6) when i next see him what he reckons and what hed charge. I need to ask him about doing something else for me anyway.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral