Forums
Posted By: MissGuided Watch your speed - 30th Jul 2009 3:20pm
Watch out along Mount Rd today - just after Levers Causeway roundabouts heading towards Prenton - police with speed gun.

Also - Claughton Village - Council CCTV car is parked outside Harbour Lights pointing uphill.

Think they may have got me on the first one frown How much is a speeding ticket?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Watch your speed - 30th Jul 2009 3:23pm
Pretty sure your ok smile

I think they stop you there and then if they have a gun - Im sure Mr Tastic will be able to offer more certain confirmation though grin
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Watch your speed - 30th Jul 2009 3:29pm
Where's the legal eagle when we need her?
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Watch your speed - 30th Jul 2009 3:44pm

"Handheld guns - Used by an officer standing at the side of the road. They point it at the numberplate, pull the trigger and get a readout of your speed. They then wave you in as you pass, or stop you with another vehicle further down the road. These are not easy peices of kit to use, so they won't always get a read. They can not do a postal prosecution for speeding based on these. If you're speeding, they will pull you over.

Traffic cars (parked) - you may see a traffic car with a camera (normally a black round one stuck to the rear roof) watching traffic, often on motorways and dual carriageways. This is ANPR (automatic numberplate recognition). It is for checking your number plate against the Police National Computer (PNC). This reports if your car is taxed, tested, insured, registerred to someone with a license, not generally got anything dodgy about it, eg been seen near a crime scene. This is not a speed measurement device. To measure your speed they need to use a handheld gun or VASCAR.

Traffic cars (in motion) - Traffic cars are equipped with calibrated speedometers and odometers. Traffic car follows you a set distance behind. Sets a stopwatch and trip counter. Follows you for a set distance. Average Speed = distance divided by time, which is calculated by VASCAR. Blue lights come on, you get pulled over and given a ticket.

Note - not all traffic cars are marked.

Mobile speed cameras ("Talivans"). A van (normally a van) with a speed camera in the back, often pointing out of a hatch in the back door down the road, or out of the side door if the vehicle is parked, for example, on a motorway bridge. You go past too fast and a ticket automatically comes in the post."
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Watch your speed - 30th Jul 2009 3:47pm
Thanks Phil, I feel better already shifty
Posted By: insanekitty Re: Watch your speed - 30th Jul 2009 6:35pm
barstard talivan got me a month ago.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Watch your speed - 30th Jul 2009 6:49pm
Originally Posted by insanekitty
barstard talivan got me a month ago.
is that official name for council smart car? Talivan? raftl
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Watch your speed - 30th Jul 2009 6:51pm
Have you seen the smart car with the HUGE camera on its roof? Car looks like it's going to tip over..
Posted By: DavidB Re: Watch your speed - 30th Jul 2009 9:06pm
If you'r not doin anyfin rong, uve got noffin to hide.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Watch your speed - 31st Jul 2009 9:34am
Another variation to look out for. A while back, I was going through a village with a 30 limit. I was doing 30 (of course). Near the national speed limit sign I spotted a police motorbike in a layby with officer looking into a gizmo above the number plate. As my Pinz speedo is in kmph only, I've stuck dayglo dots on the glass at various mph. speeds.

I stopped, turned round and asked the bobby if he would check my speed on a run past. This he gladly did. I did spot on "my" 30mph. Returned to bobby for result ..... 29mph. Most happy.

After he had spent a while gazing in/under the Black Beast, I asked him about his set-up on the bike. (Back to topic) It's a mini version of the side of the van jobbies. ANPR with speed overprint on screen. All are clocked. If you are speeding, the first you know about it is the dreaded brown envelope thudding onto the mat ! They don't flag you down.

A motorbike, end-on is not so easy to spot. Be warned ! This might just be a Scottish thing. I haven't seen one south of the border as yet.

I learned something new that day AND got my speed mod. calibrated as well ! A pleasant, cheerfull bobby too.

Up here, it's a £60 fine and 3 points which last for 4 years. BUT... in certain areas, you can elect to go on a "Speed Awareness Course" under certain circumstances. It will cost you another £70 and half a day in the classroom BUT you won't get any points on your licence. My wife got done in Cumbria last month and has to go to Carlisle for her lecture. Better than points though !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral