Forums
Posted By: phalinmegob vauxhall airbag warning light - 30th Jun 2009 8:07pm
hi all,my airbag warning light has suddenly started coming on but only when the car is doing over 2000rpm(approx), cavalier 1.7td with isuzu engine.going to angelsey in a few weeks and worried about my car now.a freind said i should change alternator but that has nothing to do with the airbag does it?
any idea,s....also anybody now of a good place to get my shims done...still have not had that fault sorted.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: vauxhall airbag warning light - 11th Jul 2009 2:34am
does it do it when static aswell as moving??
i cant really see the alternator causing the fault as the battery light would be light up. just check all the connectors, fuses, the sensors and ECU. its prob worth getting it on a diagnostic machine.. but if your not sure dont mess!
airbags are explosive and very harmful so if your going to mess then disconnect the batt and leave for a shortwhile atleast 10 mins
sorry i cant help more smile
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: vauxhall airbag warning light - 11th Jul 2009 3:09am
could be down to any number of things

usually earth connections, dry joints, or loose wiring under the drivers seat

as above, don't go poking round without disconnecting the battery. i personally would advise leave it for at least 1hr before touching anything

if in doubt, take it to the nearest garage that is equipped with Tech2 diagnostic equipment. to get the codes read usually costs anywhere between £10 and £30, but a lot more at the main dealer
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: vauxhall airbag warning light - 11th Jul 2009 11:25am
Don't discount the alternator, it could be a good call, it could be the first sign of the alternator brushes going, especially if mileage above 80,000 miles.

The 12v rail gets very noisy and some bits of kit don't like it. Get someone with a meter to checked the voltage with everything switched on (lights, rear-screen heater, fogs, full fan etc) and the revs about 1500, if the voltage is not stable then the bushes are on their way out. This is not the best test, perhaps someone else can suggest better?

Any other unusual symtoms, occasional stalling, radio not as good as usual are also indicators that the alternator is going.

The alternator warning light is useless for this because as long as the brushes are making some contact occasionally, the light goes out. I've had flat batteries due to alternator failure and the light still didn't come on.

A call at the car electrics place at top of green lane station road (actually old-chester road, queen st, chamberlain st junction) may put your mind at rest.

On the other hand it may be nothing to do with alternator - have you taken the relevant fuze in and out in case it has dirty contacts?
Posted By: DavidB Re: vauxhall airbag warning light - 13th Jul 2009 7:49pm
Alternator can light up lights on the dashboard - I had the same thing on a 1.7 diesel Corsa where the handbrake light lit up. Can't really explain why it does it, it just does.
Isuzu engine alt also has an oil pump for the turbo, make sure you get the right one. wink
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: vauxhall airbag warning light - 17th Jul 2009 8:18pm
i registered on a vauxhall forum and seems to be quite a common problem with this model,almost certainly an overcharging alternator.so i have been driving around with the rear window demister on to use some of the extra charge as advised by a few people there.airbag light goes off when i switch the demister on or put the heaters on full but thats too noisy.will sort alternator when i can get some money together.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: vauxhall airbag warning light - 17th Jul 2009 8:35pm
Brushes aren't dear (don't go to main dealer), but if it has been like this for a while then there will be some damage to armature and you might need new slip rings fitted.

I wouldn't leave it, the 12 volt rail will be noisy and worst case might damage ECU, also the battery is probably not getting fully charged and may let you down.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral