Forums
Posted By: StuyMac SCRAPPAGE SCHEME MISSES 'IN DEMAND' CARS - 5th May 2009 1:00pm
Originally Posted by Pistonheads
Small print could block cars with three month waiting lists

New car buyers looking to cash in on the £2k scrappage scheme incentive could be scuppered by small print that excludes cars with a delivery time of more than three months.

Special order cars like the new Ford Focus RS could be excluded from the scrappage scheme as the delivery time exceeds the three-month limit due to its high demand. Other models may also be affected due to the surge in demand for more popular cars that will delay the production of special order vehicles.

At present BMW, Citroen, Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes, Mini, Nissan, Renault, Ssangyong, Toyota, Volkswagen and Volvo have all signed up to the scheme in which all cars in the range are subject to a £2k discount when trading in a vehicle that is at least ten years old. Half of the money is put up by the manufacturer and the remaining £1k is funded by the government.

Some dealerships are already reporting a huge upturn in business, registering hundreds of interested parties looking to exploit the discounts on offer. Hyundai claims the scrappage scheme proposal has increased interest in its cars by 400 per cent.

Representatives from the Retail Motor Industry Federation will meet with government officials tomorrow to discuss the finer details. The scheme is due to come into effect later this month.

...although Is good to see the £2k split - I thought it was funded by the government 100%
Posted By: MGCraig Re: SCRAPPAGE SCHEME MISSES 'IN DEMAND' CARS - 6th May 2009 4:24pm
So hang on....

If I was to hand in my Alfa, Id get a definite £2k to go towards buying a new car?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: SCRAPPAGE SCHEME MISSES 'IN DEMAND' CARS - 6th May 2009 4:27pm
Depending what the car was and if it were affected by the above.

Dammit - I wish our Picasso was over 10 frown The Micra is 10 this year but its the best car we've had so far raftl
Posted By: MGCraig Re: SCRAPPAGE SCHEME MISSES 'IN DEMAND' CARS - 6th May 2009 4:30pm
Well, Fiat have signed up to the deal as well, offering the Panda for £4,995 (with the £2k added after handing ur car in) and Alfa is basically Fiat, so dunno.

My Alfa is exactly 10 years old, and I know my dad seems to be linking me to newer 147's for sale..almost as if hes hinting at something...
Originally Posted by MissGuided
The Micra is 10 this year but its the best car we've had so far raftl

hmm........ stick a turbo on it huni!
That will make it the mutznutz!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: SCRAPPAGE SCHEME MISSES 'IN DEMAND' CARS - 6th May 2009 5:19pm
yuz jus jeluss
Posted By: DavidB Re: SCRAPPAGE SCHEME MISSES 'IN DEMAND' CARS - 13th May 2009 12:39pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8041228.stm

"They're massively disappointed," he said. "They were hoping for a lot more from the government."

Two grand isn't enough? You greedy shits. 300 million pounds is going towards this scheme. There's so many things wrong with this on every level. frown
Posted By: Waddi Re: SCRAPPAGE SCHEME MISSES 'IN DEMAND' CARS - 13th May 2009 2:24pm
IIRC you must have owned the car for 12months aswell.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: SCRAPPAGE SCHEME MISSES 'IN DEMAND' CARS - 14th May 2009 7:48am
Originally Posted by AlfaCraig
So hang on....

If I was to hand in my Alfa, Id get a definite £2k to go towards buying a new car?

Not quite - you get £2k taken off the price of the new car.

This still means the dealers can set the initial asking price.

Still think its a pretty good incentive - if you dont like it, dont do it...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral