Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Your old car worth £2k in scrap...? - 8th Apr 2009 9:52am
Originally Posted by Pistonheads
New car sales fell again last month with new registrations down 30.5 percent against March 2008.

£2k incentives for scrap cars proposedThe figures prompted renewed calls from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders for the government to introduce a subsidised scrappage plan in its forthcoming budget. March is usually the highest volume month for new car sales, suggesting there may still be worse to come.

In contrast, Germany reported sales soaring by 40 percent last month as customers took advantage of the scrappage subsidies already in place there. The strong German figure helped constrain the year-on-year March sales slide across Western Europe as a whole to a drop of just 7.2 percent according to JD Power analysis.

The SMMT wants the government to introduce a £2000 per car scrappage incentive for drivers trading in old cars for new ‘cleaner’ models. According to chief exec Paul Everitt, the UK is the only major European market not to have implemented such a scheme.

Aside from the cost to taxpayers, the treasury is reportedly concerned by counter-arguments that a scheme would benefit carmakers from outside the UK, and also that any demand pulled forward will be lost later when incentives are removed.

Posted By: AX_125 Re: Your old car worth £2k in scrap...? - 8th Apr 2009 9:57am
Good idea in theory, but it will wipe out cheap car market for people that can't afford new cars.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Your old car worth £2k in scrap...? - 8th Apr 2009 2:49pm
Incentive for the dealers to sell more brand new cars.
It goes against the government's current environmentally conscious policies (ie more taxes).
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Your old car worth £2k in scrap...? - 8th Apr 2009 2:53pm
I thought it was to the contrary and that, yes dealers would sell more cars, but for every one scrapped a newer clearer one would replace it.

It wouldnt mean more cars as the min scrap value would only apply on one car replacing the older car.

It would also help the now flagging car industry sell more cars.

Also, its just a suggested incentive - your not going to be forced to scrap your car, it may just help some people replace their older, uneconomical cars, with newer, cleaner replacements.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Your old car worth £2k in scrap...? - 8th Apr 2009 3:14pm
Also means alot of people will go into more debt as they think they are getting a good deal.

Don't forget the price of new cars has gone up by nearly £2000 for some models. So it is giving with one hand and taking with the other.

Posted By: golfvr Re: Your old car worth £2k in scrap...? - 8th Apr 2009 3:47pm
The only way to play this would be too, sell ya own car for a decent sum in my case £2500ish

Buy a £100 duffer, for the 2k discount

my car £2500
£2000 duffer discount

£4500 off my audi TT which is 25k which I cant afford smile
lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Your old car worth £2k in scrap...? - 8th Apr 2009 5:43pm
My car is worth more scrap than it is selling it anyway
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Your old car worth £2k in scrap...? - 9th Apr 2009 9:39am
TBH I think you would only get the offer if you where PXing it against a new car...

I doubt you would get £2k for just scrapping your car as you could just then go an replace it with something of the same age.

TBH I think its a good idea, it wont kill the 2nd hand car market, it will just give people more options when looking at getting a new car.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Your old car worth £2k in scrap...? - 9th Apr 2009 4:56pm
You have to have owned your car for a year.
Loads of people are opposed this, me included, I think it's just bizarre and pointless.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral