Forums
Posted By: golfvr Intercoolers.... where and how much - 27th Feb 2009 3:53pm
THinking of getting an intercooler for my passat.
I know f-all about them, but the ones on ebay,seam expensive and there all different to each other.

Sure an intercooler can be taken off another proper turbo'd car like a skyline,etc.
this is an example of one if the bigger versions
[Linked Image]

What have you got/know smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Intercoolers.... where and how much - 27th Feb 2009 4:20pm
The autobahn 88 ones are pretty good - thats whats on the Nissan.

You can tell its a decent kit as it uses the "T" style clamps rather than the worm drive jubilee clips.

The bigger the cooler the more it will cool, but you will get a little more lag.

Check the owners clubs / forums and see what peopl have fitted, and how well they fit. Sometimes they will involve cutting bumpers / battery trays etc...
Posted By: golfvr Re: Intercoolers.... where and how much - 27th Feb 2009 4:23pm
thought you might have had an old spare one in ya parts bin smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Intercoolers.... where and how much - 27th Feb 2009 4:25pm
Unfortunatly not matey frown

Its the pipes for fitting the thing that are car specific - you generally get a good price on a complete kit smile

If its this one for about £300 delivered it looks like its quite easy to fit, and there is plenty of clearance round the bends, plus you get instructions smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Intercoolers.... where and how much - 27th Feb 2009 5:06pm
that deal seems worth it, if you were to get another Intercooler off the likes of a skyline, Evo etc then the price will add up for silicone hose, pipes etc.

I don't know if it's looks or performance but what about a Cosworth intercooler?

One on Passionford for 30 quid Wirral based
Posted By: grizz Re: Intercoolers.... where and how much - 27th Feb 2009 8:59pm
Just buy the proper kit you tight git ... whistle
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Intercoolers.... where and how much - 27th Feb 2009 10:05pm
Originally Posted by grizz
Just buy the proper kit you tight git ... whistle

Fook me grizz, where did you come from, out of the blue from 1 million years ago, how you doin, and yer just buy the proper kit, its the easyiest thing to do.
Posted By: grizz Re: Intercoolers.... where and how much - 27th Feb 2009 11:02pm
How you doing ?? I'm mega busy fixing lots of cool Audi rs4's & rs6 along with the odd R8 & Bentley continental GT ..

As for my answer , I've sent hours fooking about trying to get inter cooler kits to fit ..
If you can get a good proper kit for that price it's a bargain ..
Posted By: DavidB Re: Intercoolers.... where and how much - 28th Feb 2009 1:23am
I bought a Frontera intercooler for 30 quid from the scrappy. It's decent enough and it's been on the car for five years. There's an Mitsubishi Evo in the breakers on the A55 with engine and intercooler intact. She was selling the engine for 300 quid, so the IC should be cheap. laugh
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Intercoolers.... where and how much - 28th Feb 2009 3:11am
£300 omg

Bargain - buy it - they are worth £1k all day!!!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Intercoolers.... where and how much - 28th Feb 2009 4:43am
The Evo intercooler isnt too bad as the inlet and outlet point to the sides.

The cosworth intercoolers point towards the engine bay which makes routing the pipes pretty difficult frown
Posted By: DavidB Re: Intercoolers.... where and how much - 28th Feb 2009 2:16pm
It was going to go into the Starion but I had had enough by then! Well worth it, I nearly soiled my self when she said it. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral