Forums
Posted By: StuyMac All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 21st Jan 2009 11:49am
Basically if your car isnt SORN it must be insured or there will be a fine on its way to you..... omg

Personally I think its a bit OTT - I can see where they are coming from but it will no be on offence to have a taxed car, on your property if it doesnt have insurance think

New regulations make it an offence to own an uninsured vehicle

New rules on insuring vehicles have been set out that will make life much harder for those who own taxed vehicles without insurance.

Road Safety Minister Jim Fitzpatrick today announced that it will become an offence to keep an uninsured vehicle. Current law only punishes people for driving an uninsured vehicle, meaning that people can only be caught on the road.

These new regulations will follow existing rules on road tax in making it possible to identify uninsured vehicles using databases from the DVLA and the insurance industry.

Cars identified as uninsured will be flagged up, and a warning letter sent to the car's registered keeper. Failure to respond to the warning letter will result in a £100 fine, and failing that the owner could find their car seized and crushed.

Around 2 million motorists are estimated to drive around uninsured (6.5% of all motorists in the UK), and these drivers are said to add approximately £30 per year to all of our insurance premiums.

Mr Fitzpatrick said: 'The selfish minority of drivers who refuse to insure their cars push up premiums for other motorists and kill or injure thousands of people each year.'

The new regulation does not affect cars with Statutory Off Road Notices (SORN).

Posted By: Wheels Re: All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 21st Jan 2009 12:34pm
So if I bought a car to "Do up" and kept it on my drive in a SORN condition id be ok?.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 21st Jan 2009 2:21pm
As long as its SORN your OK - its if you leave it there with some TAX just running out...
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 25th Jan 2009 10:12pm
OTT.

When I took my car off the road, I had just over a months tax left, so I didnt bother trying to claim back the few quid from sending my tax disc back, instead, I took it off the road, cancelled my insurance and waited for the tax reminder to come through a few weeks later, when I then declared it SORN.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 25th Jan 2009 10:26pm
This really is getting ridiculous.

This country needs a damn good kicking no

I`d rather be a fooking redneck!
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 25th Jan 2009 10:35pm
yep. Rediculous
Posted By: Mark Re: All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 25th Jan 2009 11:55pm
could this be another job for the Traffic Wardens ?
Looking behind peoples gates ?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 26th Jan 2009 5:17pm
THB Mate, I dont think they will need to be that cunning.

They will look on the DVLA database and it the car doesnt have tax and isnt sorn, and doesnt show on the MID as insured - youll get a letter.
Posted By: DavidB Re: All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 28th Jan 2009 5:24pm
Is this how it is now, has it been passed?
Ridiculous, why does a quango like the DVLA have powers like this?
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 28th Jan 2009 5:32pm
yeah i believe it has been passed

so if you have an untaxed car and its not on a SORN

either insure and tax it, or SORN it and park it on a drive/in a garage

they will catch you out
wot utter stupid ridiculas ideas these people have they all need there head banging together i think just to knock some bleedin sence in to these fools
Posted By: Sanchez Re: All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 28th Jan 2009 6:19pm
withthat

Nothing better to do other than think of ways to create money from nothing a justify a job. Imo they really need the shit kicking out of them.
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 28th Jan 2009 8:41pm
I found this out the hard way, my car has been parked up for 6 months, i didnt get a reminder or anything, only thing i got through was a nice fine frown
Mr Fitzpatrick said: 'The selfish minority of drivers who refuse to insure their cars push up premiums for other motorists and kill or injure thousands of people each year.'

Yes because we all know its only the uninsured that kill or injure people on our roads.

I was caught and fined for driving with no insurance. I moved house, we forgot to inform the insurance company yadda yadda yadda. I did it, it was wrong, I got a fine and 6 points on my licence. In the time I was driving without insurance I didnt have a accident and didnt drive dangerously.

A relative was caught doing 43 in a 30 past a school and got a fina and 3 points.

Is driving without insurance really that much more dangerous than speeding past a school?

Sorry for the off topic rant.
Posted By: Dave100e Re: All cars must be insured - on or off road! - 28th Jan 2009 11:39pm
Driving without insurance isnt dangerous at all. Unfortunately drivers without insurance are more likely to have no MOT or tax aswell. If they have an accident theyre more likely to flee too.

The actual cost to us though, is a big 'pot' as such, which most insurance companies pay into which we can claim from if we are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.

At the end of the day though, why should i spend four figure sums on insurance, like many others, only for some scumbag dolite fook to not bother his arse to pay up. Its not right at all. I agree with what they are doing but theyre going about it the wrong way. I havnt even heard of this except on here so theyre not exactly making an effort to let us know about it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral