Forums
Posted By: MGCraig Ron Dennis Steps Down !!! - 19th Jan 2009 1:39pm
Ron Dennis is to step down as team principal of McLaren and hand over to current number two Martin Whitmarsh ahead of the new Formula One season.

Dennis, 61, who has run McLaren since 1981, will stay on as executive chairman of the McLaren Group.

The 51-year-old Whitmarsh will take over McLaren's F1 operation on 1 March.

"It's time for Martin to take over. It is 100% my decision - this is a job he will embrace and from now most race-day decisions will be his," said Dennis.

"I still have huge passion for F1 and I want to be supportive of Martin's responsibilities, but that will come purely in the form of voicing an opinion.

"Maybe they'll get my opinion when they don't want it! But I hope Martin will listen to my opinions, even if ultimately - as it will - the ultimate decision rests solely with him.

"This is the right time for this decision. But don't see this as some sort of retirement because it is the exact opposite.

"The first thing I must do is raise my own game because everybody realises this is a tough period in which to work. My decision - and it is solely, and exclusively my decision - has been made on the basis of what is best for McLaren.

"However, really I want to downplay this decision, because today is about the new car, where we're going forward as a team - it certainly isn't about my stepping down," added the 61-year-old.

Dennis merged his Project Four racing company with Team McLaren Ltd to form McLaren Racing in 1980 and took over as team principal in 1981.

Whitmarsh has been at McLaren since 1989, when he assumed the role of head of operations.

And he said: "It doesn't feel like a bombshell to me - Ron has reached this point and I was keen for him to dictate a timeframe - but I certainly didn't push him.

"I've worked with Ron for 20 years and he has had an incredible career, but Formula One is changing and evolving and so is this business."

The 2009 Formula One season opens with the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on 29 March.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Itll be a shame. Dennis has really helped Turn Mclaren around. Lets hope they can keep up the brilliant form of recent years, and keep F1 successful for the British happy
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ron Dennis Steps Down !!! - 19th Jan 2009 1:42pm
I read that on Pistonhead this morning...

Its a shame as Ron has been there for nearly 30 years now, and done a cracking job.

At least he isnt bowing out totally smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral