Forums
Posted By: Davey_Martin My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 6:09pm
well the package i was looking to buy suddenly vanished from all the sites it was on (the package i'm referring to was 2 x Kenwood KFC-W3011 subs & Kenwood KAC-7203 amp that also came with a box for the subs) - then i had my eye on the same package but with the Juice JA690 amp, but not knowing whether it was any good (after looking all over the net) i decided against it and so the venture to find my package continued (keep the comments to urselves raftl )

deciding i was gonna have to spend more to get wot i wanted i increased my budget by £50, to £200 and settled for the below:

Click

I will post some pics up when it has arrived and been installed thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 6:30pm
Good stuff

Least you don't have to buy the cable separate
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 6:38pm
lol yea, that's true - these kinda things easy to install? never done it before lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 6:41pm
Should be.

The hardest part will be finding a route from your battery to your boot.

What stereo have you got? Does it have a sub connection?
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 6:46pm
yea it's got sub, front and rear connections, sony mex-bt3600u
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 6:50pm
Should be simple then thumbsup
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 7:26pm
kool

the headunits installed and everything is workin fine - just need to add me subs etc when they arrive haha
Posted By: MGCraig Re: My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 7:48pm
Davey, I (and I think most people as well) connected the battery to the boot by passing the power cable underneath the carpet, following the contour of the floor.

It can be quite difficult, but a metal coat hanger can often prove to be useful laugh
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 11:23pm
lol am confuddled, u both say connected frm the battery? - i thought it ran off the power supplied to the headunit and somethin? now i am lost? :)) is it likely to come with step by steps on the basics? lol

i shouldnt have bought it now lmao, all i know is, under my bonnet, there is an engine, a battery and some other fiddley bits lol
Posted By: MGCraig Re: My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 11:25pm
Well yea, but all power comes from the battery. Wire from the battery leads to the fuse and then the headunit (which is all earthed and hopefully hooked up to the speakers).

You will then have the wire going from the headunit, to where you want the sub and amp combo, such as the boot.

The amp will also need to be earthed as well, if I remember correctly.

But that wire from the headunit to the subs and amp will need to travel to the boot, where it isnt disturbed.. such as under the carpet. That can take a while to do though, depending where the carpet is secured down.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 11:28pm
kool, well it comes with a wiring kit... hopefully has everything i need :-s lol... head unit is connected to thebattery fine, everything (other than the stalk/steering wheel controls work which i assume id need to puy extra cables for)

so does that mean i can just focus on wiring the head unit to the amp in my boot? might try aon (astra owners network) to see wot they say is the best route lol
Posted By: MGCraig Re: My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 11:35pm
Ahhh.. Stalk steering wheel controls. That has me stumped sorry. Never had to deal with them. Id imagine that the controls are already connected up to the headunit, as that is the bit that selects the songs etc etc...

I wouldnt imagine needing any more wiring for that, but its definately best to check.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: My new purchase - 5th Dec 2008 11:42pm
dunnoo, was fitted by some guy at halfrauds - for free fortunately... as i ssay, everything else is spot on just no working "stork" controls - hmm, maybe he just forgot/didnt notice? lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: My new purchase - 6th Dec 2008 12:05am
should still work the the stalk controls, no problem.

You need a live feed (+12v) from your battery to power the amp.

You also need a ground connected to your amp.

So that the amp isn't on when your engine/stereo is off, there is a feed from your stereo to say "yep, I'm switched on, switch the amp on, power the subs and give me some bass" or something like that lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: My new purchase - 6th Dec 2008 2:52am
Can't the stalk control's on some car's, especially OEM ones, be head unit dependent somethimes?

My Clio had them, but they would not work with the head unit as they required the original head unit to work, and I prefer to use my own lol.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: My new purchase - 6th Dec 2008 9:11am
the cheap headunit i had in prior to installing this one was an aftermarket ripspeed one and they worked fine with that?

think
Posted By: MGCraig Re: My new purchase - 6th Dec 2008 12:15pm
Maybe take the car to Halfords today or when your free... just ask if theyve connected it up properly, or if the headunit is compatible with the stalk controls.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: My new purchase - 6th Dec 2008 12:28pm
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...d_10001_partNumber_930925_langId_-1#dtab

* AAC compatible: Yes
* Bluetooth compatible: Yes
* Built-in Bluetooth: Yes
* Built-in DAB: No
* CDR/RW compatible: Yes
* Camera input: No
* DVD Player: No
* DivX Compatible: No
* Dolby compatible: No
* Front AUX: Yes
* MP3: Yes
* Made for iPod: No
* Power output: 4 x 52W
* RDS: Yes
* Rear Aux input: No
* Remote Control Included: Yes
* SD Card Slot: No
* Screen Size: n/a
* Stalk control compatible: Yes
* Total Number of Pre-Outs: 3
* USB Port: Yes
* Video input: No
* Video output: No
* WMA compatible: Yes
Posted By: MGCraig Re: My new purchase - 6th Dec 2008 4:05pm
Better drive back to Halfords, see if they can sort it out. Either that, or a smaller/cheaper Audio Centre somewhere, if you know of any.

Id recommend Halfords though, because if its fecked, they may be able to supply and fit you with a new one, and/or connect that one up properly
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: My new purchase - 6th Dec 2008 4:27pm
yea i think i'll have to, will go on monday when im not so full of cold - i hope lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral