Forums
Posted By: hyundai Best place to buy a car - wirral - 24th Sep 2008 8:00pm
hi all,

anyone know the best place to buy a car on the Wirral? I know buying privately is often a good way but i'm just looking for some options because the car i was going to use has died on me.

cheers
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 24th Sep 2008 8:05pm
One tip - if you use Lookers then check the website price because it will be less than the forecourt price for the same car. I've bought 2 cars from them and both times, the minute I've pointed out the cheaper price they have honoured it. They won't tell you it's online cheaper - little minxes!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 24th Sep 2008 8:09pm
Don`t go to stoneacre, i used to work there and the cars get severley abused before they leave no
Posted By: mike849 Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 24th Sep 2008 8:14pm
and dont but a mechanics car! i did and the engine went within 5 months! no
Posted By: hyundai Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 24th Sep 2008 8:28pm
thanks for the advice so far guys.

Ste - you've put me off there, i don't want an abused car :-(
Posted By: Pomp Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 24th Sep 2008 10:49pm
Arnold Clark
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 24th Sep 2008 10:53pm
Originally Posted by mike849
and dont but a mechanics car! i did and the engine went within 5 months! no

if u mean that fez u bought off my brother it was mint lol

and to the person that started this thread, a better question would be the worst place as there are a lot more good places than bad.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 24th Sep 2008 10:58pm
The Wright Car Centre on the Chester High Road is quite good too
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 25th Sep 2008 8:12am
For cars up to about £3K try Peter Foreman Car Sales. 76 Wallasey Road, Wallasey (opposite The Boot). I had a very good deal from them. All cars with 12 months MOT and warranty. After 6 months the one I bought for £1.5K had a radiator leak - and the new rad was fitted with no quibble. I would go there again

Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 25th Sep 2008 10:59am
steer well clear of wallasey car superstore on liscard rd...or whatever its been renamed as...aswell as the one on leasowe rd by solar campus...cant remember that place either...bloody painkillers!
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 25th Sep 2008 11:32am
Mybe easier to mention what type of car you would like.

Don't be pulled in by the "Oh we got this in PX from a Bmw sale" etc, always insist on a test drive.

Insist on a 30 day warranty and 12 months Mot.
Posted By: hyundai Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 25th Sep 2008 8:33pm
hi all,

i've bought a new battery for my hyundai in the hope it's just the battery that's died on me. the engine seems to want to turn so i presume its the battery.

if it works i've no need for a new car now i'll find out tomorrow though, fingers crossed, i could do without spending hundreds on a car, rather the £43 for this battery if it works!

cheers for the info, i'd avoid some of the places mentioned though
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 25th Sep 2008 8:40pm
Does the car just click when you turn the key? if so try hitting the starter motor if you can see it easy when you turn it over. Might just be the solanoid (sp).
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 25th Sep 2008 8:42pm
need a hand dude to look at it pm me
Posted By: hyundai Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 25th Sep 2008 8:46pm
no , the engine makes a 'rrrrr' sound like its trying to start.

i've tried a trickle charger and a proper battery charger, both of which didn't charge the battery.

it has been sitting on my drive for about 2 years now, i think it may have got started up 1 year ago, but it's more than likely the cells are dead in the battery from what i read?

edit: cheers robbo ill see what this battery does and if theres no luck ill drop a pm
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 25th Sep 2008 8:46pm
Originally Posted by Auditastic
steer well clear of wallasey car superstore on liscard rd...or whatever its been renamed as...aswell as the one on leasowe rd by solar campus...cant remember that place either...bloody painkillers!

Wallasey car superstore (on Seaview Road) were prosecuted for money laundering and had several cars repossesed.

Links view (on Leasowe Road) have extortionate prices (even on their part exchanges).

smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 25th Sep 2008 11:16pm
If the engine is turning, it's not the battery or the starter motor! Try your plugs and your leads (and fuel).

I have to say this, always steer clear of 'modified' cars. I've seen some death traps and fire-hazards from dodgy modifications (esp wiring). They're a nightmare to put right again.
Posted By: hyundai Re: Best place to buy a car - wirral - 28th Sep 2008 7:09pm
Bought a new battery and it works now, spot on laugh No need to buy a new car, it only cos £43 for the new battery, much less than i thought it'd end up costing.

Just need to sort out road tax & insurance now and i'm away.

cheers for the help
© Wirral-Wikiwirral