Forums
Posted By: StuyMac PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 8th Sep 2008 8:22am
Originally Posted by Pistonheads

Fines are cheaper than insuring your car;

It's enough to make most decent-minded motorists' blood boil. But the AA says the penalties for drivers not taking out insurance are just not severe enough.

Put simply, it's still cheaper for drivers not to bother insuring their motor and take the risk of being caught and taking a court fine.

Research from Direct Line released last month revealed that there are 1.5 million uninsured drivers on the UK's roads. Now the AA say fines for uninsured drivers averaged £182 in 2006, while the majority of car insurance policies cost in the region of £1,000. Low-cost second-hand cars also make driving without insurance an attractive option to motorists.

A spokesman for the AA said: "There is a lot of car confiscation and car crushing that goes on for uninsured drivers." But, he added, that the prospect does not appear that bad "when you can pick up a car for £500 or £600 pounds which is cheaper than the insurance policy".

Insured drivers face extra costs of between £30 and £50 due to uninsured motorists.
Maybe they should just crush the drivers - that'll teach them! hammer
Posted By: StuyMac Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 8th Sep 2008 9:43am
think

Would deffo put an end to it raftl
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 8th Sep 2008 11:47am
yeah, lol

most uninsured drivers get 6pts and a £250 fine (once the court fees are added)
TBH yup we are still getting the unisured drivers out there..but LOADS lees than there used to be.
Mostly its people who have a) forgotten to renew their cover or b) driving 3rd party on their own comprehensive insurance...and not covered cuz they are under 25.
or c) the direct debit has bounced and the policy has been cancelled as a result.
Less and less people are knowingly driving without insurance...FACT
Added to which our bosses are really climbing into vehicle seizure figures and wanting more and more.

Added to which we are gonna be lifting cars for no MOT very soon..next couple of months i think..
you have be warned!

Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 8th Sep 2008 4:59pm
warnings always gratefully recieved by all matey
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 8th Sep 2008 5:37pm
think only £250.... might aswell stop paying my £200 a month insurance then grin
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 8th Sep 2008 5:41pm
dont let Audi see that

he'll have you for that comment
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 8th Sep 2008 5:45pm
withthat nono doh
I think maybe the police force needs to develop a giant foot with which to stamp on the little scrotes who knowingly dodge insurance. You could dangle it from the police helicopter.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 8th Sep 2008 6:24pm
raftl
Posted By: peodude Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 9th Sep 2008 8:36pm
The fine is not the problem, more the 6 points that come along with it, for new drivers that means resitting there test, and the older ones only have 2 chances
Posted By: peodude Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 9th Sep 2008 8:36pm
The fine is not the problem, more the 6 points that come along with it, for new drivers that means resitting there test, and the older ones only have 2 chances
Posted By: DavidB Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 9th Sep 2008 9:20pm
Surely not? I got done for having no insurance when I bought my car a while ago (driving it back! Unlucky!). IT was a nightmare. Got 6 points and fine, and insurance is nearly impossible to get and is fooking expensive!

Insurers are taking massive advantages over the compulsory laws.
There should be a minimum third party which costs 10 - 20 pounds per month.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 10th Sep 2008 9:10am
Insurance - is a form of risk management primarily used to hedge against the risk of a contingent loss. Insurance is defined as the equitable transfer of the risk of a loss, from one entity to another, in exchange for a premium.

Unfortunatly, the greater the risk, the more you will have to pay, and insurance most cover minor bumps to major addicents where millions have to be paid out.

There should be no excuse for no insurance, and surely 6 points and a fine is better than the prison sentence should anything really happen and you dont have the cover.... think
Posted By: MGCraig Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 10th Sep 2008 10:38am
Originally Posted by Station

Thought there was a minimum Insurance policy, aka 3rd Party.
Unfortunatley for you ste, you were caught for not really doing anything morally wrong. But there are people out there, who just choose not to pay insurance, whatever their situation may be. You see on these traffic cop programs, theyre nearly always around the housing estates of like sheffield etc... areas where it can either be said that poverty is more apparent...or that people generally have more disregard for the law, and will do anything they want.
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 10th Sep 2008 12:56pm
Originally Posted by Mi_Craig
Originally Posted by Station

Thought there was a minimum Insurance policy, aka 3rd Party.
Unfortunatley for you ste, you were caught for not really doing anything morally wrong. But there are people out there, who just choose not to pay insurance, whatever their situation may be. You see on these traffic cop programs, theyre nearly always around the housing estates of like sheffield etc... areas where it can either be said that poverty is more apparent...or that people generally have more disregard for the law, and will do anything they want.

Nt far wrong...there seems to be a thought process in the uk..im and adult therefore its my god given right to drive a motorvehicle irrespective if I have a driving licence/insurance etc or even if im sober! lol....

Its the hardcore "service users" that keep me in a job...
Posted By: MissGuided Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 10th Sep 2008 1:15pm
OK so how do you hit such people where it hurts?
Originally Posted by MissGuided

You take their car from them...lol
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 10th Sep 2008 3:52pm
should make them watch while you crush it too
Posted By: StuyMac Re: PENALTIES FAIL TO DETER UNINSURED DRIVERS - 10th Sep 2008 4:06pm
Originally Posted by Auditastic
Originally Posted by MissGuided

You take their car from them...lol

Unfortunatly, that only deals with the problem, not the cause.

After reading the average fine in 2006 was £182 - I seriously hope that has at least doubled, if not tripled!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral