Forums
Posted By: MGCraig Martin Brundle Cleared over "Pikey" Comment !! - 14th Aug 2008 10:00pm
ITV has escaped punishment after the word "pikey" - a slang term for gypsy - was used in a sports broadcast in June.

Host Martin Brundle was interviewing Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone before the Canadian Grand Prix, where part of the track had crumbled.

"There are some pikeys there at turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that," he asked.

Media regulator Ofcom said it would take no action after ITV apologised and addressed the issue with its presenter.

The broadcaster argued that "pikey" was now used more widely but conceded that it still remains a derogatory term.

BBC Sport Report

I think theyre missing out on the fact that the people repairing the track were a mix of Tarmac specalists and Marshalls. Marshalls, who volunteer their own time to help ensure the Races run smoothly. Im not having a go, but its a bit harsh that he, an ex Formula One Race Driver, didnt acknowledge the marshalls properly..

For Shame ITV no

TBH I think he was just making a joke of the situation.

An F1 circuit is never gonna hire some one with an Irish accent to relay part of the track with "some material we have left over from this here driveway"!
he was messing! the people that took time to complain about that deserve a poke in the eye!
Posted By: Wheels Re: Martin Brundle Cleared over "Pikey" Comment ! - 15th Aug 2008 9:35am
i thought it was funny raftl
he could have quoted snatch "i fcking hate pikeys!" then they can complain!
Originally Posted by Sir_longmong
he was messing! the people that took time to complain about that deserve a poke in the eye!

....with a red hot poker :Grin:
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Martin Brundle Cleared over "Pikey" Comment ! - 20th Aug 2008 12:30am
Originally Posted by Sir_longmong
he could have quoted snatch "i fcking hate pikeys!" then they can complain!

lol :r:fookin ell yumyum
© Wirral-Wikiwirral