Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 2:10pm
....now bear with me on this one, Im not just posting some sick and gorey video for the sake of it.

I will however warm you the video is not for the feint hearted!!

Ive seen the video many times before and in the past thought it was just the marshal that was killed.

After watching the whole thing all the way through, it appears the marshal that was hit was carrying a fire extinguisher, which unfortunatly hit the driver in the head - also killing him.

What makes it more shocking is the promise of the driver...

Extract from Wikipedia:

Thomas Maldwyn Pryce (June 11, 1949 – March 5, 1977) was a British racing driver from Ruthin, Wales. He was famous for winning the Brands Hatch Race of Champions (a non-championship Formula One race) in 1975 and for the circumstances surrounding his death. Pryce is the only Welsh driver to have won a Formula One race and is also the only Welshman to lead a Formula One World Championship Grand Prix: two laps of the 1975 British Grand Prix.

Pryce started his career in Formula One with the small Token team, making his only start for them at the 1974 Belgian Grand Prix. Shortly after an impressive performance at the Formula Three support race for the 1974 Monaco Grand Prix, Pryce joined the Shadow team and scored his first points in Germany in only his fourth race. Pryce later claimed two podium finishes, his first in Austria in 1975 and the second in Brazil a year later. Pryce was considered by his team as a great wet weather driver. During the practice session for the 1977 South African GP, run in wet conditions, Pryce was faster than everyone, including world champion drivers Niki Lauda and James Hunt. Pryce's third full season at Shadow was cut short by his fatal accident at the 1977 South African Grand Prix, where he collided at high speed with track marshal Frederik Jansen Van Vuuren.

In 2007, it was announced that a statue of Pryce would be erected in his home town of Ruthin by the local council to mark the 30th anniversary of his death. On the 23rd January 2008, the Trust Fund members met in the Rhuthun Castle Hotel, under the chairmanship of David Richards (Prodrive), to discuss the progress of the intended memorial to be placed in Upper Clwyd Street in Rhuthun. After a positive meeting, moves are afoot to have this monument in place before the end of this year.

[youtube]kxqOauWe9qg[/youtube]
Posted By: jadeCere Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 2:36pm
ouch that had t hurt that was noway he was goin to survive
Posted By: DavidB Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 4:04pm
Thought it was going to be a picture of a keyboard with the F1 button popped out.

After a positive meeting, moves are afoot to have this monument in place before the end of this year.

I bet it's not!
Posted By: jadeCere Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 4:05pm
haha lol thats what i thought at first
Posted By: DavidB Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 4:48pm
Ah why not:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 5:16pm
gutted....killed by a fire extinguisher....

water way to go no
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 5:50pm
joe, there is a relevant instruction on fire extinguishers for you I think its step 2 that says "strike knob!" smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 5:57pm
show some respect no
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 7:17pm
Completely agree with Toto.

He was a fantastic driver, something Wales was very proud of.

His death isnt really a joke, or anything to joke about
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 8:50pm
i was joking about a fire extinguisher and striking joe, not at the dude getting chopped by the car or the driver!

dismount that high horse! happy
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 9:02pm
kk dude, Ill let you off this one time...

The new Back straight at the refurbished Anglesey Race Track (Trac Mon) has been named the Tom Pryce straight, in case anyone was interested.
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 9:03pm
never actually heard of him or that incident before now
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 9:05pm
Originally Posted by Sir_longmong

same as me but hey you learn sumit new everyday but full respect to the driver and steward happy
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 9:35pm
Well, it was a long long time ago, but its Tragic, as obviously not only the Marshall was killed, bu the way that Pryce was killed, and yet no-one even knew.

His car carried on down the track, and just went into the barrier, and no-one knew until they got to him. He was basically decapitated from the Extinguisher. Very Unlucky and very Saddening
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 11th Aug 2008 9:38pm
Originally Posted by Mondeo_Scott
Originally Posted by Sir_longmong

same as me but hey you learn sumit new everyday but full respect to the driver and steward happy

withthat
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 12th Aug 2008 1:45am
very said
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 12th Aug 2008 7:21am
Originally Posted by Mi_Craig

The new Back straight at the refurbished Anglesey Race Track (Trac Mon) has been named the Tom Pryce straight, in case anyone was interested.

...and If I havent looked in to that clip more, I would have seen the name of the straight, and never known the reasoning for it...
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Fatal F1 Accident - 22nd Aug 2008 12:23am
that one's gonna hurt in the morning

the marshall running across the track tho, wot a pillock, like, seriously

surely there should have been marshalls on the same side of the track as the stranded car - other than the initial one attending to the car in the clip
© Wirral-Wikiwirral