Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe Inside Tyre Wear? - 9th Jul 2008 7:21pm
Right, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to suspension, so I'm after advice to sort this problem.

Car is lowered 40mm front and 35mm rear and theres no uneven wear on any of the other tyres, execpt rear offside which has wear on the inside of it.

What would be causing this, where can I get this sorted or what can I buy to sort it?
Posted By: NEWBOY Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 9th Jul 2008 7:23pm
Tracking
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 9th Jul 2008 7:29pm
ok cheers thumbsup

will get it sorted smile
Posted By: spinking Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 9th Jul 2008 10:07pm
Originally Posted by NEWBOY
Tracking

On the rear?????

cambers cahnged as you have lowered it jot so inside wheel/rubber has more contact with the floor.

Your tyres wearing cos your think its called casters which is out.

Phone Chris mate he has the bits needed to get it set right.
Posted By: NEWBOY Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 9th Jul 2008 10:38pm
Didnt read the bit about the rear but yes, tracking on the rear can be out - Best getting it laser alighned.
Posted By: NEWBOY Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 9th Jul 2008 10:38pm
Definetly not the castor angle
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 9th Jul 2008 10:52pm
Im confused now lol
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 10th Jul 2008 3:11am
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
Im confused now lol

dont take much does it joe thumbsup
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 10th Jul 2008 5:47am
Joe, on the pic below shows camber settings, this might be the problem you are having. (bottom pic)

[Linked Image]

As said above go and get the tracking done and set and it might get rid of the problem. Demon Tweeks sell some parts to get rid on Negative camber.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 10th Jul 2008 8:42am
IIRC the camber on an E36 isnt adjustable....

HAve you checked the obvious - tyre pressures, springs are sitting in the cups correctly...?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 10th Jul 2008 9:15am
Yeah, I've checked the obvious. I check the tyre pressures on a regular basis.

Will get the tracking done then.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 10th Jul 2008 9:18am
Tracking will only adjust the toe on the front wheels think

If its an alignment issue you will need a full geometry check and I think the closest place to do that its Demon Tweeks.

Have a look at the rear bushes / arms and check for wear and damage smile
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 14th Sep 2008 4:29pm
there is track rods on the back of all big cars mad ini i hate doin 4 wheel alighment
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 23rd Sep 2008 3:05pm
Rear trailing arm bushes go out to lunch very easily on E36's. And tracking is not possible beyond 1 degree of movement from elongated mounting holes...
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 23rd Sep 2008 3:35pm
Dont need to go somewhere like Demon Tweeks, thatll cost a fortune Im sure.

Just need a flat surface, 2 pieces of string, 2 weights, 4 Jerry Cans, a ruler and a spirit level (Preferably Digital) for camber, and youll be fine laugh laugh yipee
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 23rd Sep 2008 4:27pm
..if its a worn bush, the alignment may only go out under load - at a standstill it may appear fine think
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 24th Sep 2008 3:32pm
I have all the camber and tracking gauges if you need it checking Joe...(not string and sticky back plastic etc lol)
Posted By: Scooby Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 4th Jan 2009 12:04am
If i have read the posts correctly then the track, camber and/or castor will not make any difference as the wear is only on one tyre and not both......

This would suggest a worn suspension bush or a broken coil spring on one side (The side with the worn tyre).

Now if my memory serves me right you drive a E36 BMW ? If so then the rear suspension bushes are prone to collapse (Especially if wheelspin's/drifting/erratic drivig) so i would get these checked thoroughly. They are infront of your rear wheel just on the inside of your sill area.

I would post a picture for you but i have forgotten how too..... Now thats really bad !

If it were camber/castor then typically both rear tyres would wear down. Hope this helps you ? If your stuck you know where i live, feel free to pop in for a cffee and i will have a look for you.

Retired Scooby frown
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 4th Jan 2009 12:08am
Flippin Eck! Long time no see

Cheers for the advise and offer mate, but this problem was a while ago and I think it's sorted now wink
Posted By: DavidB Re: Inside Tyre Wear? - 10th Jan 2009 8:46pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Tracking will only adjust the toe on the front wheels think

Toe can cause increased wear on the inside or outside though! It removes the wear from the front to the sides. smile

This tyre, which was -one week old-, was toed out by 1 degree!

[Linked Image]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral