Forums
Posted By: Davey_Martin Davey - Astra SXi - 26th May 2008 2:36pm
Well since i just bought my first motor i thought it was only the right thing to do and put it in here lol...

totally standard just now but once paid for i will still have about £400 left to play with (get a small spoiler and maybe some new headlights (angel eyes) - or may trawl ebay for some nicer wheels

Attached picture media.jpg
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 26th May 2008 2:38pm
fairy nuff, am sure it wud look good once u have finished with it smile
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 26th May 2008 2:40pm
So youve defo bought this now mate???
Posted By: Wheels Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 26th May 2008 2:41pm
Rimz smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 26th May 2008 2:45pm
Originally Posted by Corsa_Nikki0166
fairy nuff, am sure it wud look good once u have finished with it smile

wink lol

Originally Posted by Mi_Craig
So youve defo bought this now mate???

if it feels good when i test drive it and i get me loan approved i will most probably buy this, yep

Originally Posted by Wheels
Rimz smile

aye, i think so lol
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 26th May 2008 2:46pm
smile
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 26th May 2008 5:07pm
leave it std, couple of nice irmskir parts would look nice though
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 26th May 2008 5:33pm
Heh nice one matey smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 26th May 2008 6:02pm
Originally Posted by sanchez
leave it std, couple of nice irmskir parts would look nice though

will leave the engine standard most prob... have a list of things i'll be adding to it tho but money is gonna be fairly tight until i finish payin for me decks and xbox!

wheels
badgeless grill
possibly lowering springs (wheels will be bought first tho)
front splitter
sideskirts
rear diffuser
and maybe some diff lights if i see any that i like
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 26th May 2008 6:17pm
Nice first motor mate smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 26th May 2008 6:26pm
[Linked Image]

inspiring (tho not too fussy on them wheels lol)
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 29th May 2008 9:58pm
hmmm, after morethinking and sniffing around have spotted this car (gone off the silver one now lol... typical me! still plan on getting a 1.6 sxi tho!

[Linked Image]

would definitely need to buy a spoiler and get it sprayed and should still have enough to change the wheels altho they arent so much an issue as they where on the silver one i originally looked at (this is me trying not to jump on the first one i see lol)

probs go through to glasgow to see the car this weekend, already told the missus she's not got a lot of choice haha!

also like the silver astra on their site (might drive them both and see wot happens) - should be more options in glasgow anyway - where the cars are

Link to see both cars

Posted By: StuyMac Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 10:17am
Dont buy an Astra!!! nono

Ive had 100s of them as hire cars and they are awful!!!

The seats give me back pain after about 30 mins, the engine is lazy, and flat through out the revs. The steering is unresponsive and light, and they just get masses of understeer when pushed on.

Have you considered a similar spec Focus? The suspension is a little firmer, they are more responsive and the engine is a little more lively and on the whole it is a much more entertaining drive smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 12:35pm
I think he has Astra Blinkers on Stuey,

2.0 Focus, you won't regret it.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 12:39pm
frown

Davey, test drive a few differnt cars - not just different models of Astra wink

As its your first car Im pretty sure any driving experiences will be very limited, and your choices are down to price and appearance. Trust me though, drive a Focus (Even a 1.6) and the Astra will be blown from your clouded thoughts wink
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 12:48pm
For the price i don't think you can beat a Focus ESP. Rival to a Astra Sri, much lower insurance. Great base for suspension upgrades, perfect for the ST airbox and manifold. Suspension is Class, surefooted at high speeds. Brakes can be upgraded cheap.

Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 4:51pm
lol when i saw it was a 2ltr petrol i thought the insurance would be through the roof... saw this and it's actually in the colour of my choice - black!

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/FORD+FOCUS/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-9-13-112-4294967193-4294967194/advert.action?R=200816307959443&distance=45&postcode=ph1+2ja&channel=CARS&make=FORD&model=FOCUS&min_pr=1000&max_pr=2000&max_mileage=

not sure on a 5 door focus tho! - altho im beginning to realise with my budget i'll be lucky to have everything i want in my first car! lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 5:32pm
Personally, I prefer 5 doors; much better for practicality, and a lot of cars, imo, looks a bit tacky with 3 doors, like there is something missing. So don't worry about the 5 doors too much.

Just my opinion though.

smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 5:47pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Personally, I prefer 5 doors; much better for practicality, and a lot of cars, imo, looks a bit tacky with 3 doors, like there is something missing. So don't worry about the 5 doors too much.

Just my opinion though.

smile

i dont mind the astra in either 3 or 5, but the focus looks really long lol...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 5:57pm
They dont look much longer in real though smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 6:05pm
the other worry is fuel consumption lol... not to mention the road tax cost - almost double that of the astra and still £200 more a yr to insure
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 6:07pm
Lol go derv mate you'll never look back!!

smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 6:07pm
lol was waitin for that!"
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 6:10pm
tease
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 6:11pm
Its good to Torque matey.

smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 7:08pm
Looks like a good buy davey, check the ESP tho when you test drive it. Also make sure the car has 16inch wheels not 15's as the 2.0's came with 16's.

also seen this, bit more than 2k, http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/FORD+FOCUS/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-10-14-112-4294967193-4294967194/advert.action?R=200821310632084&distance=22&postcode=ph1+2ja&channel=CARS&make=FORD&model=FOCUS&min_pr=2000&max_pr=3000&max_mileage=
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 7:08pm
lol think this thread may need renaming soon... and well, i've seen a nice lookin motor (imo) that i could probably get for £1k cash

Y, 2001 Reg Fiesta Zetec, 1.25 (i think so no more or less than gf's which in retrospect is enough for me really to just zoom to n from work haha) - 54k, FSH, niceish wheels on it, recaro seats, only 2 miles away from my address - if it's crap i'll just sell it and will still have the remainder of my loan to help towards a new car (dont plan on spending it in a hurry)

Posted By: MrPhil Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 7:10pm
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
the other worry is fuel consumption lol... not to mention the road tax cost - almost double that of the astra and still £200 more a yr to insure

fuel consumption on a 2.0 focus is on par with a 1.6 focus. the 1.8 has bad mpg for the size of engine.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 8:06pm
lol tbh, i think i been lookin for too much in a first car, astra sxi is wot i'd like but if i dont find one i really want buy time i get my cash then i may well just buy a cheap fiesta (1.25, slow but cheap as chips) until i find exactly wot i want
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 8:39pm
the 1.25 fiesta's are a very good first car. 75bhp, much quicker than the mk6 ones.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 30th May 2008 8:43pm
lol gf's is quite fun to drive (probs more so cos i've just not long passed)
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 1st Jun 2008 3:55pm
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/advert+search/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-9-13/advert.action?R=200821110124898&distance=26&postcode=ph1+2ja&channel=CARS&make=&model=&min_pr=1000&max_pr=2000&max_mileage=

found this now... only 26 miles away, cheap as chips insurance - well for me in comparison to the other cars ive looked at... yea ok, not exactly a pocket rocket but should be plenty for me like - looks the part for me hehe

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 1st Jun 2008 4:03pm
Looks a tidy motor, but the MOT is a bit short, find out anything major that will need doing for it first.

smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 1st Jun 2008 4:11pm
aw yea, didnt notice the mot - hmmm
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 1st Jun 2008 6:21pm
hmmmm hate saxos mainly due to the chav link but i guess beggars cant be choosers so have found these two options:

1999 T Reg CITROEN Saxo 1.6i VTR
3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, BLACK. Long MOT, Taxed, Fully Colour Coded, Alloy wheels, Fully tinted, Rear Spoiler, Foglights, Sports seats, Radio/CD, Remote locking, Immobiliser, Power assisted
£1,795

2001 CITROEN SAXO 1.6i VTR 3dr Hatchback
Manual, 77,803 miles, Blue. Alloy wheels, Body coloured bumpers, Electrically adjustable drivers seat, Electrically adjustable passenger seat, Front electric windows, Front fog lights. £1,750.
£1,750

Attached picture media1.jpg
Attached picture media2.jpg
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 1st Jun 2008 6:28pm
Nah man......Jib
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 1st Jun 2008 6:28pm
Yeah, jib it mate!
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 1st Jun 2008 6:35pm
lol the newer of the two was sold the day the advert was first posted! - not too fussy on the older one!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 1st Jun 2008 6:44pm
Saxo's are womens cars, I mean look at them, perfectly shaped for a woman, I dunno if you have ever driven a Saxon, but I have, the ride is terrible in them and the footwells are designed for women, deffo not for male feet!!

The only lads who drive saxo's are chavs who think they look good in them, when in reality, they are shite looooool, its actually probably cos their big girls who follow their mates like sheep rather then lads lol.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 1st Jun 2008 7:05pm
lol lookin at the 106 quicksilver again

so far the main runners i have in mind are:

Astra SXi (1.6 16v)
106 Quicksilver (1.4 8v)
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 2nd Jun 2008 6:36pm
ok, what about this?

2001 Y Reg RENAULT Megane 1.6 16v Dynamique

2 Doors, Manual, Coupe, Petrol, 86,000 miles, Black. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Electric sunroof, Foglights, Head restraints, Folding rear seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Side airbags, Radio/CD Multichanger, Rear headrests, Sports seats. Insurance Group:7

£1,995

Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 3:05pm
anyone? lol

avoid? reasons? look like a potentially good buy?
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 3:07pm
Being a renault...good chance something will go wrong. Theyre stuck together with spit...

but....

Very Good choice man. I was contemplating one for my next car. Slap some nice alloys on..lower it (wheel spacers as well, to push rear wheels out a bit) would look awesome.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 3:10pm
haha looks in pretty good nick for a 8y.o car... just need to find out how long the mot is valid for (or if it is mot'd at all!) lol
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 3:12pm
Well, theyre not very common either, bit like citroen xsara coupes. So would deffo stick ut in the crowd. As you say MOT?...and as I say..questionable reliability.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 3:14pm
not the most reliable car then? lol
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 3:22pm
Same with most French Cars. If you want reliability, you wanna go Jap. But theres enough of them about, and Im sure parts arent in short demand, like with rover.

Dont be put off by that.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 3:23pm
Click Me !!!!! (Go On Davey. You Know You Want To)
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 3:29pm
my car hunting journey continues :| lol

just foned the guy there anyway and someone was away test drivin the car atm so to fone back in 20 mins or so to find out if they had made an offer on it (hmmm, sounds like a spinner) - just like the look of it, as u say, somethin different

if it's not been bought it's probly a bad sign as that's the last/final selling point - if it has been bought then so be it, just got there too late lol - either way, looks like i'm looking elsewhere for my car! haha
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 3:33pm
Have you considered a Micra 1.3 Super S??

Im not just saying it cos Im biased towards them...but for a 1.3...damn cheap insurance...Performance levels to embarrass 1.6 and 1.8 cars etc...

Itll last forever...and with a carefull bit of Lowering..new alloys....look awesome and stand out from Corsas, saxos and fiestas.

When I was at school, couple of people laughed that I had a Micra. Now Im starting to see a few more of them. as people catch on
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 4:21pm
Car Like Mine

Thats the exact Car I drive..ok its only a 1.0L....but an awesome 1.0L
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 4:26pm
Ignore that...found the 1.3 SR I was talking about

Click Me
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 5:24pm
goin to see this tomorrow night

106 Quicksilver 1.4 S reg, 45k

totally standard too which is just wot i want, not been able to find any that havent been tinkered with really

just rang the guy there and the ad is only a couple of days old so hopefully it's worth the journey.

Posted By: MGCraig Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 5:58pm
Quicksilvers are rapid pieces of kit..perfect for a bit of B-Road action
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 6:53pm
got my eye on these and these if all goes well (lookin a bit far ahead tho i know)

[Linked Image]

and

[Linked Image]

pair of them for the front and get the rear torsion bar adjusted lol
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 7:25pm
quick photoshop of the front end of how it could look with them wheels and springs

what ya reckon? lol (missus hates it but that's just cos she hates orange which makes me want them even more haha)

Posted By: StuyMac Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 7:29pm
Nice cars the Quicksilvers - not too sure about the wheel colour though ... think
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 7:38pm
thinking that meself now... the orange is a bit much... want something diff but cant find anything else that's caught my eye lol
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 3rd Jun 2008 9:07pm
hmmmmmm maybe these wheels

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 4th Jun 2008 7:08am
I'd get 306 wheels personally for a 106, they look so well. Register on the 106 forum and see what ideas you could get off their.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Davey - Astra SXi - 4th Jun 2008 6:09pm
Originally Posted by Philw
I'd get 306 wheels personally for a 106, they look so well. Register on the 106 forum and see what ideas you could get off their.

problem with that is that seems to be so common... anyways, just bought the silver astra sxi in the end (the one i originally started the topic with LOL)... just as well i never got the topic title changed!

pick it up either saturday or monday... felt really nice to drive... comes with just under 12 months mot, has a new exhaust fitted, guy that part ex'd it had the cambelts changed around 10k ago and the clutch done just before he parted with it

bodywork is pretty sound for the age... no rust in sight, or big plumes of smoke when i booted it - so yea, pretty much sold itself without the salesman lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral