Forums
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Can anyone fit my springs ? - 1st Mar 2008 10:46am
Ok, So i got some brand new G-Max springs for my civic coupe, Can anyone fit them for me please as iv been told its a pain on the civics cause its got front and back struts or summat like that lol

Please help frown
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 1st Mar 2008 11:33am
i know a man who can ...for a price!
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 1st Mar 2008 11:33am
Whats the price ?
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 1st Mar 2008 11:43am
no idea...lol..ask him...Tony on A+m conversions, sealand 01244818868.
The ONLY person i trust with my car...an exceptional mechanic!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 1st Mar 2008 11:56am
It's easy if you have the right tools. You need a spring compressor which is about 12 quid from Halfords.

[Linked Image]

You remove the strut from the car, then you put the spring compressors on the spring, and then remove the top mount, the spring will then just come out, then you uncompress it, and then compress the new spring and put it on and then it's a reversal of the first bit.

The rear's are really easy. Hardest thing about the fronts are the bolts are usually tight.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 1st Mar 2008 11:57am
Top mount:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 1st Mar 2008 6:36pm
The place in Morton behind the shell want £100 just for fitting omg
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 1st Mar 2008 6:58pm
Shorter springs will normally fit without the need for compressing wink

You just have to be very careful if you let the std ones go with a "ping" as they have some preload on them.

Civics also have a pretty complicated front setup - more so than other cars.

I just fitted heavier springs to the race car today, and it took nearly 45 mins a side :ong:
Posted By: red20 Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 1st Mar 2008 6:59pm
thats about right to be honest id do if for about £80
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 1st Mar 2008 7:38pm
Ill ask Toto for ye matey, if you see him before I ask him, tell him I told you to ask him what price he can get ye.

He know's a few peeps in the trade that do stuff lyk this.

smile
Posted By: krisGTi Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 1st Mar 2008 11:30pm
av got a set of spring compresors if u wanna lend them mate.

an there easy enough to do ur self matey
Posted By: spinking Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 2nd Mar 2008 7:55am
Originally Posted by Civic_Coupe_Sean
Ok, So i got some brand new G-Max springs for my civic coupe, Can anyone fit them for me please as iv been told its a pain on the civics cause its got front and back struts or summat like that lol

Please help frown

Andy (sanchez) knows these cars verywell matey he might help.

I'd do it but i tend to break things raftl
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 3rd Mar 2008 8:21am
Just DIY!!!

Its a bit of a prick doing the fronts, but the backs are dead easy. The new shorter srpings shouldnt need compressing, and you can get the std top mounts off if you are careful without the need for compressors.
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 3rd Mar 2008 1:19pm
Iv got the clamp compressors things just need someone to do it for me haha raftl
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 3rd Mar 2008 1:43pm
Id do it for £50....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 3rd Mar 2008 3:05pm
Cost me £100 from that place in Moreton, behind Shell.

Safer than killing myself with spring compressors.

Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 3rd Mar 2008 5:39pm
If you fancy bringing your car round to my garage after 10pm any day this week, I can help you with it.

They're pretty piss to do once you know how and I should still have Kris' spring compressors

Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 3rd Mar 2008 6:00pm
Want me to come down tonight mate, Then i can give you a lift home asewll ? smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 3rd Mar 2008 6:03pm
if you want mate, I'll meet you at my garage about half 9 if thats good for you?
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 3rd Mar 2008 6:03pm
Just started to hail lol.

What time you going up ?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 3rd Mar 2008 6:05pm
weather seems ok here lol

I should be there about half 7 if it doesnt rain
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 3rd Mar 2008 6:07pm
Ok mate, I'll give you a text about 9ish and see what your doing smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 3rd Mar 2008 6:07pm
sound thumbsup
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 3rd Mar 2008 6:12pm
If we do it Joe, I will sort you out with a bit of money when i get paid smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 8:26am
Anyone missing any teeth, or has the car been slammed raftl
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 11:30am
got one side at the rear done.

didn't manage to get the other side done as the bold are quite rusted and all my 14mm spanners and sockets are now fooked.

will have another go tonight
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 11:34am
Yeah, plenty on WD40 - be very careful though, those 14mm's (17mm on the front) are well known for sheering off due to the rust...
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 11:45am
Tell me about it lol, Got one new spring on the rear tho raftl

Might have ago at the front today now iv seen how its done, But leave that rear bugger for Joe raftl
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 11:49am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
plenty on WD40

gone through half a can lol
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 11:50am
Joe got all battard, Bless him frown
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 11:50am
...the rear is easy, the front is the tricky end, there is an upper and lower arm on the EGs (and most Hondas) and there is very little room to get the strut out as there is also a fork that goes each side of the drive shaft. Ive had to rebuild the CVs twice due to streching them too much frown
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 2:36pm
thats why I started with the rear Stu, cus I knew it would be easier, just made more difficult by all the bolts being rusted

had to take the upper arm off to get the lower arm low enough to get the strut out
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 2:41pm
Sean, see if you can get a 1/2" 14mm socket
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 2:51pm
Got one of each sitting here mate smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 2:51pm
IIRC 1/2" is 13mm and wont fit....

If they are tight you deffo need a snug fitting 14mm - a ring spanner may be better - so you dont round the nut off...
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 4:23pm
smack 1/2" 14mm socket means 14mm for the nut/bolt on one side and the other side is 1/2" for the bar/rachet
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 4th Mar 2008 6:11pm
Well took about 2 hours but i got the front right one done lol, So thats 2 down 2 to go raftl

Riding on the piss now tho haha raftl
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Can anyone fit my springs ? - 5th Mar 2008 4:41pm
3 down, one to go smile

Did the front one all by myself today, Well happy with myself haha raftl

Pics are in my MMC topic tease
© Wirral-Wikiwirral