Forums
Posted By: Cali_16v Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 3:58pm
This is a bit of an odd question i know but here goes........

To save weight on a car is it worth replacing panels with glass fibre panels. i.e bonnet, wings etc etc.

I knw what your all going to say "carbon fibre". I have deep pockets but not bottomless ones.

So will it save any weight as i've seen a bennet, wings and rear wheel arches for my car all made from glass fibre and the price isn't to bad either.
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 3:59pm
It will crack well easy tho wont it, Like the body kits do ?
Posted By: jonny boy Re: Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 4:15pm
Originally Posted by Dazzz
This is a bit of an odd question i know but here goes........

To save weight on a car is it worth replacing panels with glass fibre panels. i.e bonnet, wings etc etc.

I knw what your all going to say "carbon fibre". I have deep pockets but not bottomless ones.

So will it save any weight as i've seen a bennet, wings and rear wheel arches for my car all made from glass fibre and the price isn't to bad either.

often fibreglass parts can weigh more than original items... make sure you check
a glass 100e (my car) bonnet weighs more than a standard one, cos they are built for strength and not weightsaving.

and they will only crack if a) shitty product (ill prepared) to begin with or b) abused
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 4:36pm
Originally Posted by jonny boy

and they will only crack if a) shitty product (ill prepared) to begin with or b) abused

Like most body kits these days....
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 4:51pm
So not worth it really then, oh well, looks like it might be a one off carbon item

Counts money, 1p, 2p, 3p, 4p .........
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 5:01pm
Carbon fibre is the way to do it but it just costs so much and just think how gutted you would be if you crashed your car frown

Or even more gutted if some old lady whos blind crashs into you frown
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 5:05pm
I drive to fast for someone to crash into me ha ha

if i'm gonna crash i'd make sure it was there fault so they would have to pay me out for the broken parts.

My work is an RTA solicitors so sue them for every penny they got.

Carbon fibre is getting cheaper but just not as cheap as i would like it to be.

Back to counting, 47p, 48p, 49p, 50p, Have i got enough now, NO, Looks down backof sofa, woo-hoo 20p.
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 5:07pm
LMFAO, What car have you got mate, If you dont mind me asking tease
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 5:10pm
Click to see
Posted By: Civic_Coupe_Sean Re: Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 5:13pm
Oh yeah i did look at this before and i was looking at one on ebay myself 2L looked nice was £595 buy it now smile
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 5:17pm
why mate, the weight you'll save will not be alot, just spend your money on tuning the engine - thats were the power for speed will come from !
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 5:21pm
Just looking for a quick fix to be honest mate.

Want to get cams and pullies for when i get the belt changed but your talking big money on top of the money for the belt change.

then again might aswell just save and get the whole lot inc lightened flywheel at once.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Glass fibre - 11th Jan 2008 6:03pm
happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral