Forums
Posted By: granny Planet Earth Tonight - 25th Mar 2017 11:50am
Earth Hour

Turn off: all your electricity on planet earth tonight.

Time: 8.30pm - 9.30pm

Reason : World wide experience to enjoy less light pollution for an hour and do our bit for the environment.

http://www.unilad.co.uk/sensitive/h...all-their-electricity-at-8-30pm-tonight/

Wondering who has shares in the candle factory... grin

I have my own thoughts about this sort of crap, it sort of runs alongside the following but includes office space and computers and lighting 24/7 in high rise office blocks:

As part of Earth Hour, street lighting will remain switched on for safety reasons, but street lighting contributes to 50% of the sky glow in urban areas.

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Planet Earth Tonight - 25th Mar 2017 1:10pm
I will make a symbolic gesture and take the batteries out of my torch.
Actually I think I am out at that time so no problem will make sure all the lights are out.
Think they would get more support if it was say 2am till 3am..
Posted By: Dilly Re: Planet Earth Tonight - 25th Mar 2017 2:31pm
I don't like the dark nono
Posted By: joeblogs Re: Planet Earth Tonight - 25th Mar 2017 5:20pm
i will be turning everything on full whack between those hours,the bath with no plug in taps on full,every light on and will be revving my oil burner up with the dpf off,bloody tree huggers be telling us global warming is real soon
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Planet Earth Tonight - 25th Mar 2017 6:58pm
What a laugh, telling you to burn candles instead (a fossil fuel that gives off the very pollution these guys are against).

Will be placed firmly in the do-not-action pile.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Planet Earth Tonight - 26th Mar 2017 9:31am
As regards light pollution, I'd have thought PIR detectors on street lights the best way of reducing it. With LED lights which can be switched on or off in nanoseconds replacing sodium discharge lamps which take minutes to warm up, it is feasible and will save money.

Why light up a suburban road or a motorway all night when there is nobody on it?

I used to stay regularly in a rather charming village in Bucks. All the houses were thatched, and there were no street lights at all. Eventually, the Parish council got them put in, but people disliked not being able to see the stars, and the rate of burglary shot up! Previously, darkness had made it difficult for them, and using torches would have made them stand out. The new illumination made it a lot easier for them. After a few months, the lights were all switched off by the villagers opening them up and removing the fuses, and the village reverted to darkness again.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral