Forums
Posted By: OxtonHill Arno at the Secret Gardens - 11th Jun 2015 2:15pm
Refreshments & Face Painting, available in the Arno during the Secret Gardens event..Sunday 21st June.

Attached picture 11337000_906172419444998_4710583267559425177_o.jpg
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 11th Jun 2015 2:25pm
And abuse and disruption for local residents
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 11th Jun 2015 2:49pm
Which is what exactly?
Posted By: palemoon Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 13th Jun 2015 5:50pm
Where can I get some info' ?
Posted By: Giggler Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 13th Jun 2015 5:56pm
Here

http://www.opengardens.co.uk/open_gardens.php?id=287
Posted By: palemoon Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 13th Jun 2015 6:28pm
Thanks a lot.
Posted By: Giggler Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 13th Jun 2015 9:41pm
Ok. I wanted to know too. Not been before.
Posted By: workinclasshero Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 13th Jun 2015 10:47pm
secret gardens sounds posh for cannabis farm
Posted By: Hamman Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 14th Jun 2015 8:07am
Bacon Butties and Tea, Coffee, Cakes Etc also available all day at the 64th Birkenhead (Sea) Scout H Q,
The Old Coach House
Columbia Lane (Off Columbia Road) Oxton. For a map, see the link below

http://www.birkenheadseascouts.org.uk/contact.html
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 14th Jun 2015 1:37pm
Sorry must apologise for the post thought you were that stupid bunch of clowns called the Oxton society but no your part of a group who have interest in the Arno and fields note the word field a.k.a car park for one day of the year if I was to drive and park on there any other day I'd end up with pc plod on me doorstep so congratulations to all who allow this to happen
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 14th Jun 2015 2:30pm
Originally Posted by sean99789
Sorry must apologise for the post thought you were that stupid bunch of clowns called the Oxton society but no your part of a group who have interest in the Arno and fields note the word field a.k.a car park for one day of the year if I was to drive and park on there any other day I'd end up with pc plod on me doorstep so congratulations to all who allow this to happen

To be fair, its a small price to pay for the amount of other good work the Oxton Society does.

I presume the Friends of the Arno and Oxton Fields are partly funded from Oxton Society in some way.

I'm not a member of the society nor know of anyone that is though I did mean to join.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 15th Jun 2015 8:38am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
I presume the Friends of the Arno and Oxton Fields are partly funded from Oxton Society in some way.

The Friends of the Arno and Oxton fields are not funded in any way from the Oxton society. We raise all our own funds as best we can. We maintain the rose garden with volunteers.

All proceeds raised on the Secret Gardens event by the friends will be used in the Arno rose garden & Quarry.

Maybe sean99789 would like to volunteer some time, otherwise in the future it just might turn into one big car park...permanently.

Our blog page is here:
http://friendsofthearno.blogspot.co.uk/

Our Facebook page is here:
https://www.facebook.com/friendsofthearno
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 15th Jun 2015 10:23am
Hi Oxtonhill,you say that you maintain the rose garden which is always neat and tidy so well done you,but pray tell,why isn't the upkeep the responsibility of the council?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 15th Jun 2015 11:10am
I've always loved the Arno; it was one of my grandmother's favourite places and we often used to go there.
It's always puzzled me as to why it was named after an Italian river but today, after a little research, I found this on the site "Old Wirral"

A document dating from the reign of Edward III, dealing with an enquiry into the question of
encroachments into the Forest of Wirral, treats with the occasion when Richard de Oxton was
called to account for having in his possession a quarter of a rood of land in Oxton, near
Arnehowe. At the period of this document, the use of the words erne, earn or arne, for eagle was
quite common. How is well-known as a word for hill, so could it have been that the name for the
Arno in medieval years was Eagle Hill?
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 15th Jun 2015 12:51pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
why isn't the upkeep the responsibility of the council?

As with all Council cutbacks, they just cannot find the funding anymore, the council cut the grass for us and deliver mulch & compost, but thats it. The reason we have a rose appeal at present is because the council just have not had the time or manpower over the last few years to maintain it or deliver on all the Parks & gardens in the Wirral.

About 6 dedicated volunteers visit on a Monday & the 1st Saturday of the month. The rose appeal is going well, we hope to have some new arches & a sun dial introduced in the near future.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 15th Jun 2015 12:56pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
I've always loved the Arno; it was one of my grandmother's favourite places and we often used to go there.

The area around the Quarry has also been occupied during the Neolithic, Bronze & Roman periods.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 15th Jun 2015 1:14pm
I believe the friends make money out of the Secret Gardens event and that is what I meant by "in some way" you are funded by the Society, perhaps I could have worded it better, apologies.

The friends do a brilliant job, the Arno was one of my favourite places on earth, combining the quarry and formal gardens at one place was a master-stroke by the founders - of course we also used to have the spoil heaps on what are now the fields which was an additional bonus, it is a shame that some of that couldn't be kept but I understand the reasons.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 15th Jun 2015 1:20pm
The Oxton Society seem to be the lead on this event. I have old program's with the same line up.

Attached picture Secret gardens.jpg
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 15th Jun 2015 1:23pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
I believe the friends make money out of the Secret Gardens event and that is what I meant by "in some way" you are funded by the Society, perhaps I could have worded it better, apologies.

Thank you, and this is the first time in all the years the Secret Gardens Event has taken place that the Rose Garden & Arno are featured in it.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 15th Jun 2015 5:02pm
The Friends of the Arno and Oxton Fields have also raised funds which have allowed them to put the new outdoor exercise equipment and goal post on the Oxton fields for anyone to use.

They have also raised funds and organised the planting of lots of native trees. Sadly some of them have been snapped and killed.

This year the Rose Appeal was launched to raise money to re-stock the rose beds in the Rose Garden, as many of the beds are virtually empty. 550 bare-root roses have already be planted by volunteers early in the year. We pruned all the roses by hand during February and early March.

We are always in need of practical help, even if just a few hours once a month. We also organise litter picks which are advertised on our Facebook page. help
Posted By: granny Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 18th Jun 2015 9:43am
This is a lovely event and although I won't be able to visit this year, it is really hoped the weather is good and a successful weekend is had by all.

Good luck.
Posted By: Giggler Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 20th Jun 2015 4:48pm
Hi. Does anybody have any advice to share with me on which gardens I really should see?
Its my first time. I have collected my tickets and am surprised at how wide an area the gardens cover. Oxton seems quite hilly.
I won`t be able to see all 20 this year.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 20th Jun 2015 7:29pm
Just choose a route that suits you, some gardens get very busy and take a long time for queues to get round, there has only been one garden that I was disappointed with in the past.
Posted By: Giggler Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 20th Jun 2015 8:30pm
Thats the problem. I don`t know Oxton at all. 5 adults and 1 child. Age range 11 to 73. So I don`t know which routes would be easier. I imagine we`ll only do half anyway. But would rather choose the ones without queues!
Posted By: Giggler Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 21st Jun 2015 10:03pm
We all thoroughly enjoyed it. Well worth the money. I`m ready for my bed now with all that hill walking!
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Arno at the Secret Gardens - 22nd Jun 2015 8:22am
I've been before and volunteered, but couldn't help this time as it was on Father's Day and I had responsibilities elsewhere. I think it's a lovely event and a lot of hard work goes into organising and running it; I hope it went well for everyone. Pleased to hear the Arno rose gardens are being refreshed, too.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral