Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Wirral through the Ages - 4th Feb 2014 2:31pm
Pyramids Shopping Centre Birkenhead

17th February to 30th March 2014

From Monday 17th February to Sunday 30th March shoppers are set to treated to one of the most exciting and comprehensive physical histories ever presented on the Wirral when Wirral Through The Ages opens its doors.

Situated between Infinites and Boots Opticians at the heart of Pyramids Shopping Centre; this unique pop-up museum will chart over 7,000 years of history on the Wirral and include finds from the Mesolithic period; the first Roman pottery discovered in Bromborough, the Overchurch rune stone (one of only three sculpted rune stones from the Anglo Saxon period found in Cheshire) Viking artefacts and much, much more.

Wirral Through The Ages is a collaborative partnership between Pyramids Shopping Centre and Big Heritage, a not-for-profit heritage social enterprise led by Dean Paton. Apart from the exhibits, collated and professionally interpreted by Dean and field archaeologist and lecturer, Joanne Kirton; the Pyramids ‘museum’ will also feature three changing exhibits over the six weeks. One will be the re-creation of a Roman barracks showing a gladiator being operated on, the second will be a Viking house and for the final two weeks, a World War 1 trench.

Derek Millar, Commercial Director for Pyramids Shopping Centre, said: “Our shoppers can look forward to a very special six-week exploration of the area where we live and work. As the main shopping hub at the heart of Wirral’s largest town, we have developed this project together with Big Heritage to celebrate our communities and showcase the very special historical treasures which we have – particularly those from the Bromborough dig.There will be something for everyone to enjoy and we hope families will make the most of the free museum which starts at the beginning of the half term holiday.”

Wirral Through The Ages is being delivered in association with the support of the Museum of Liverpool, Grosvenor Museum and Cheshire West and Chester council.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Wirral through the Ages - 4th Feb 2014 2:42pm
Maybe if it moves to the Croft shopping centre Bromborough or Cheshire Oaks, I will go and enjoy the experience, Birkenhead nah.
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Wirral through the Ages - 4th Feb 2014 3:52pm
Sounds very interesting rudebox , were do YOU get your info...
Posted By: PlasticScouser Re: Wirral through the Ages - 4th Feb 2014 4:06pm
I wonder how much support Wirral Council contributed? Mmmmm......
Posted By: YinYang Re: Wirral through the Ages - 4th Feb 2014 9:15pm
Thanks for posting the details Rudebox.
Posted By: Papa_Juliet Re: Wirral through the Ages - 4th Feb 2014 10:18pm
Originally Posted by PlasticScouser
I wonder how much support Wirral Council contributed? Mmmmm......

Not very good considering Cheshire West & Chester Council are providing support.
Wirral Council appear to be conspicuous by their absence looking at the publicity poster on the shopping centre home page.
Grange and Pyramids

Can you imagine the uproar on here if Wirral Borough Council supported a similar event outside their boundaries?
Never mind, as a Cheshire West & Chester Council tax payer I think it's wonderful my local council is contributing to the culture of it's former fellow Cheshire neighbours.

Posted By: granny Re: Wirral through the Ages - 5th Feb 2014 12:19am
It sounds very exciting. Maybe this is what Archaeo was talking about.

Wirral Council and Chester and West Cheshire Council have taken steps towards a merger for combining certain services.

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/n...irst-steps-towards-merger-wirral-5908445
© Wirral-Wikiwirral