Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Mark Steel's in Town. R4. Feb 5th. - 29th Jan 2014 10:16pm
The next edition of "Mark Steel's in Town" is from Birkenhead. R4 at 6.30pm Wed. Feb 5th.

An amusing critique of various towns across the UK. He gets away with murder in what he dredges up about a place, descriptions of the locals and chunks of history etc. Usually very funny, but depends on your outlook and taste I suppose.

Well worth a listen imo.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Mark Steel's in Town. R4. Feb 5th. - 30th Jan 2014 9:00am
This is a really funny show, I heard the one in Northern Ireland the other week.

He was also at Gallaghers the other week:

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/10938136.Close_shave_for_comedian_Mark_Steel_at_Birkenhead_pub/
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mark Steel's in Town. R4. Feb 5th. - 30th Jan 2014 9:31am
Thanks for putting the link up Gibbo. Yes, the Derry/Londonderry show was brilliant! As was last night's show in Southall, London. Mark Steel seems to have the knack of making people laugh at each other, their religions, race, background - you name it. If anyone else tried to make fun of Hindus, Sikhs etc. in a place as "mixed" as Southall, they'd be hanging from the nearest lampost!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Mark Steel's in Town. R4. Feb 5th. - 30th Jan 2014 11:24am
I loved the anecdote about Derry airport. IIRC it has a railway line running through it and the trains have to stop when planes are landing.

One day a train was approaching as a plane was coming into land. The train didn't stop until the very last minute.

When the driver pulled into the station he asked the station manager who had priority!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Mark Steel's in Town. R4. Feb 5th. - 5th Feb 2014 7:14pm
T'was very funny,I thought.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mark Steel's in Town. R4. Feb 5th. - 5th Feb 2014 8:13pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
T'was very funny,I thought.

Ditto !

I'm glad Gallagher's got a decent mention. Well done Frank.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Mark Steel's in Town. R4. Feb 5th. - 7th Feb 2014 11:58am
Great show, very funny, especially the bit about the Recession Bar.

I don't think it will do anything to encourage tourism as it was a bit negative (The Derry and St Davids episodes weren't like that), and didn't really explain that the posh impression was directed more at West Wirral than B'Head.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Mark Steel's in Town. R4. Feb 5th. - 7th Feb 2014 12:19pm
You can still catch this on iPlayer BBC for the next five days.
I thought it was hilarious, I love Birkenhead warts and all, I
think Birkenhead is the jewel in the crown of Wirral.Disagree by all means but make an effort to get to know the place Please.

Posted By: missmahjong Re: Mark Steel's in Town. R4. Feb 5th. - 9th Feb 2014 9:40pm
Just listened to this , enjoyed it ,found it quite funny in places. Never think to see what is on the radio.... Maybe i will now.. Thanks for posting.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral