Forums
Posted By: JessandAnn Sand replenishment Egremont shore - 12th Jan 2013 11:36am
Want to know about the sand replenishment project along the Egremont shore? Come along to the Earlston Road library, Wallasey,16th February at 2.15pm, where a talk will be given by a representative from the company responsible on the progress and how it will affect the natural habitiat of wildlife along the shoreline, and what are benifits of replacing the sand. We would like to see a shore line like it used to be back in Egremont once again!!
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Sand replenishment Egremont shore - 12th Jan 2013 4:31pm
Sound interesting! Please forgive my ignorance, what did the shoreline used to be like?

K
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Sand replenishment Egremont shore - 12th Jan 2013 5:01pm
before the groynes got built along this side of the mersey, the "beach" was mainly exposed sandstone bedrock, with hundreds of little rock pools containing tonnes of natural life. Beyond the sandstone was broken rock leading out to mussel beds and ragworm beds, the Mersey estuary is one of the biggest feeding grounds for migratory birds and much of this habitat was lost with the introduction of the groynes and sand depositing.
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Sand replenishment Egremont shore - 12th Jan 2013 6:19pm
Thanks Jabber,

If we put more sand on top of the bedrock, then isnt this taking Egremont to a different environment rather than back to what it was?

If it improves the area then I am absolutely in favour, it does sounds like they want somewhere to get rid of the sand they are going to dredge to allow bigger ships into the new panamax container terminal.

Or have I got this wrong?

K

Posted By: kamikazi Re: Sand replenishment Egremont shore - 12th Jan 2013 6:44pm
Turns out a hundred years ago, it was all beach, sounds like a winner Source

K
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Sand replenishment Egremont shore - 12th Jan 2013 7:04pm

Sorry, don't know how to post an image. The pic shows somewhere between Egremont and New Brighton in 1930s, with plenty of sand. The eagle-eyed may recognise buldings across the water, and there's a nice old ferry boat (I think?) in background, with white funnel.

Attached picture Egremontbeach1_zps4b0874bd.jpg
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Sand replenishment Egremont shore - 12th Jan 2013 11:38pm
Thanks, uptoncx! It's an old family photo; second from the left is my Mum, tall lad on the right is my uncle.
Posted By: granny Re: Sand replenishment Egremont shore - 12th Jan 2013 11:58pm
Originally Posted by Greenwood
Thanks, uptoncx! It's an old family photo; second from the left is my Mum, tall lad on the right is my uncle.

Lovely picture Greenwood. Tells a happy story all of it's own, of how things used to be.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Sand replenishment Egremont shore - 15th Jan 2013 10:38am
I called the library, they know nothing about the talk. Anyone with more information? The name of the company would be a start.

I wanted to go along to ask where the money is coming from to carry out the work, especially as the council is looking for 300 million in cuts!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Sand replenishment Egremont shore - 15th Jan 2013 1:53pm
Remember playing in the sand at Seacombe/Egremont as a kid, I'm 70 now. Was away a lot so don't have a clue about it disappearing, just know we all used to love it.
Posted By: JessandAnn Re: Sand replenishment Egremont shore - 19th Jan 2013 5:07pm
Hi come along to the meting of the Friends pf Egremont on 16th February 2.15 at Earlston Road library. We are trying to put Egremont back on teh map and are organising a festival for this summer with community activites, donkeys atc, come and find out more and about the groups helping to be part of this new era of Egremont history. Check us out on face book and Twitter, website to follow shortly.
Posted By: JessandAnn Re: Sand replenishment Egremont shore - 26th Jan 2013 3:48pm
Hi Have been usked by John Lamb to post this on his behalf.

From John Lamb regarding my talk on February 16th.

I am a school teacher from Liverpool, can I stress I have no link with
any company whatsoever, or Wirral Council but I do have a long
standing interest in New Brighton.

In 1987 I first suggested using diggers and trucks to move 100,000
tonnes of sand on to the beach in front of Fort Perch Rock. From this
scheme the beach here has continued to grow and improve the quality of
life for those living in the area. It has also provided a sand beach
setting for many of the recent improvements in the town.

In August 2012, I submitted a proposal to Peel Ports to recreate the
beautiful dry sand beaches that once existed between New Brighton and
Egremont. This ‘sand replenishment’ would cost Wirral Council
absolutely nothing, being an alternative use for dredged sand,
otherwise disposed of in the Irish Sea.

Peel Ports welcomed the proposal ‘subject to initiatives being
undertaken in a sustainable and environmentally responsive manner’.
The Egremont shore supports significant numbers of wading birds and is
a ‘Site of Special Scientific Interest’ (SSSI).

It is the purpose of my talk on February 16th is to propose a revised
programme of ‘sustainable and environmentally responsive’ sand
replenishment as part of a wider scheme to improve wildlife habitats,
particularly for wading birds along this stretch of shoreline.

The improvement of wildlife habitat at Egremont is also a priority for
‘Natural England’ the Government body who would give consent for any
sand replenishment scheme within an SSSI. There is considerable scope
to create partnerships between local residents, Wirral Council, The
Peel Group and Natural England, whilst also involving research bodies
such as the University of Liverpool.
Human interference, such as offshore dredging took the sand away from
the communities of Egremont and New Brighton and only human
interference can put the sand back.

By definition, only a sustainable and economically viable scheme to
benefit wildlife will gain consent from Natural England and therefore
benefit Egremont residents. This is the main aim and I hope to show