Forums
Posted By: Touchstone Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 13th Feb 2012 7:04pm
The historic Birkenhead Town Hall is opening its doors on Saturday 3rd March 2012 for the Wirral History & Heritage Association’s 6th annual Fair.

Professor Stephen Harding will be opening the fair - Wirral born and bred, expert on Viking Wirral, and author of several books on the subject.

Exhibition and information on local history plus books and postcards will be on sale. There will also be local history and heritage groups there. Admission is free and the Fair is open from 10am to 4pm.

Wirral History & Heritage Fair
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 13th Feb 2012 8:30pm
Thanks for posting.
I'll be going
Possibly nearer the time if anyoneelse is going we can meet up at a time to be set by the war memorial
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 13th Feb 2012 11:29pm
Derek, is this the same thing that we went to a couple of years back? Where there was more history and information about the America War of Independence, than Wirral?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 13th Feb 2012 11:40pm
Yup!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 13th Feb 2012 11:41pm
Yup!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 13th Feb 2012 11:45pm
What a load of bollox then!!

Won't be going to this years event, that's for sure!!

laugh
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 14th Feb 2012 12:21am
Last year there were a lot more stands than the previous year, most of the local history societies seemed to be there.
Posted By: luckycharm Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 14th Feb 2012 5:51am
me and the kids will be there ,they had a great time looking round last year x
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 14th Feb 2012 12:13pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Last year there were a lot more stands than the previous year, most of the local history societies seemed to be there.

DD how many stands are there? Pre Birkenhead Town Hall the Local History Fair was at the Woodside Ferry Terminal, they used to have between 21 and 24 stands.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 14th Feb 2012 12:50pm
Sadly I can't zoom down for this year's event. Last year's do was really good. Yes Matt, The War of Independence lot didn't seem to have a direct link with the Wirral (maybe I missed the link) BUT it was interesting. Talking to the guys who ran it, I learned more about that war in the 10mins I was chatting to them, than I ever did in school history lessons!

Didn't count how many local history stalls were there, but judging by the amount of leaflets I picked up - a lot!

Well worth going IMHO and it's FREE !!!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 14th Feb 2012 1:35pm
Was good last year. I hope we all know where is is and don't have to follow the directions on the linked website... "turn left out of Hamilton Square station".
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 14th Feb 2012 7:48pm
Originally Posted by granny

DD how many stands are there? Pre Birkenhead Town Hall the Local History Fair was at the Woodside Ferry Terminal, they used to have between 21 and 24 stands.

Granny, not sure exactly how many stands are there, but probably more than 24. Off the top of my head I remember from last year:

Birkenhead History Society,
Wirral Society,
Wallasey History Society,
Bromborough Society,
Bebington Society,
Friends of Rake Lane Cemetery,
Wirral Postcard Society,
Wirral Transport Museum [and the obligatory buses]
Friends of Flaybrick Cemetery,
Friends of Leasowe Lighthouse,
Liverpool Geological Society etc, etc.

Like Pinzgauer, I always come away with lots of leaflets.

Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 14th Feb 2012 8:00pm
Originally Posted by Touchstone
Originally Posted by granny

Granny, not sure exactly how many stands are there, but probably more than 24. Off the top of my head I remember from last year:

Birkenhead History Society,
Wirral Society,
Wallasey History Society,
Bromborough Society,
Bebington Society,
Friends of Rake Lane Cemetery,
Wirral Postcard Society,
Wirral Transport Museum [and the obligatory buses]
Friends of Flaybrick Cemetery,
Friends of Leasowe Lighthouse,
Liverpool Geological Society etc, etc.

Like Pinzgauer, I always come away with lots of leaflets.

Think also Ian Boumphrey selling pics and postcards
Film show of Reflections on Wirral
and the McGregor? Marine Archaeology team (would like to know how they were getting on with their plans to explore off the coast of Hoylake)
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 14th Feb 2012 8:41pm
Talking of selling, that was another thing that annoyed me last time, most of the stalls seemed to be there only to sell you things.

I realise it may be these stalls that generate revenue for the event to take place, I just think the last one I went to was lacking a bit on actual content/information. I'd much rather pay a nominal fee to get in and see more than have free entry and see books for sale on every other stall etc...
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 14th Feb 2012 9:08pm
Thanks Touchstone, Looks to be quite a good variety.
Posted By: boudicca Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 14th Feb 2012 9:50pm
When at the Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March. At Birkenhead Town Hall.
Check out Bidston Community Archaeology Table. We will have lots of information about what we have done, what we are up to at the moment, and about our future projects. i.e. We propose with the help of the Rangers and Friends of Bidston Hill to build a Neolithic Round House on the field of last years dig. This dig was to determine what occupation was on Bidston Hill. If you have any questions about anything regarding our group please come talk to one of the group. As we are a Community Group we hope people will join and get as enthusiastic as we are.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 14th Feb 2012 9:57pm
Maybe you could post a bit more info about your project and what you've found on the history thread?

I'm sure people would love to see some pictures.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 2nd Mar 2012 9:39am
Just a reminder
The historic Birkenhead Town Hall is opening its doors on Saturday 3rd March 2012 for the Wirral History & Heritage Association’s 6th annual Fair.

Professor Stephen Harding will be opening the fair - Wirral born and bred, expert on Viking Wirral, and author of several books on the subject.

Exhibition and information on local history plus books and postcards will be on sale. There will also be local history and heritage groups there. Admission is free and the Fair is open from 10am to 4pm.

Wirral History & Heritage Fair

If anyone else is interested in going we could set up a time to meet at the war memorial maybe 11o' clock
1 derekdwc
Posted By: luckycharm Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 2nd Mar 2012 9:55am
Ok 11 o'clock sounds good to me ,see you there
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 3rd Mar 2012 3:40pm
I've just got back from there now. Very interesting and came back with loads of leaflets.
Posted By: challo Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 3rd Mar 2012 4:03pm
Theres a fair at hulme hall port sunlight village sunday 4/3/12 think its 10 till 5
Posted By: Jess53 Family history and heritage fair - 3rd Mar 2012 5:48pm
Went to the fair at Birkenhead town hall today and thoroughly enjoyed it. My mum met a school friend for the first time in 60 years!!!! Great stalls, great people and good time.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 3rd Mar 2012 5:50pm
Went to the Town hall very enjoyable, but came away with a thought, that all this superb information is kept by little groups and no one knows apart from the these groups, shame Wiki doesn't give each group a little forum in the history section for questions to be asked and hopefully answered, information about what's going on with the group, I also felt that today wasn't very well publicised, I'm certainly going to Hulme Hall Sunday.
has a good day at the fair meet up with our Derek and Luckycharm
came back with lots of flyers smile

Description: Nice Bus tho!
Attached picture town hall 028.JPG
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 3rd Mar 2012 8:02pm
Didn't see the old Wallasey and Birkenhead Corporation buses today. They're usually parked outside the Town Hall. Nice to see the Ribble though. What time were you there, TC?
Didn't see the old Wallasey and Birkenhead Corporation buses today. They're usually parked outside the Town Hall. Nice to see the Ribble though. What time were you there, TC?
10-30 till 12.30 was nice to see our Bezzy there
Posted By: Tatey Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 4th Mar 2012 8:26am
I was there for a while, met Derekdwc, then went to Gallaghers for a pint!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Wirral Heritage & History Fair 3rd March - 5th Mar 2012 8:30am
Didn't get there until around 1.30pm, early start went out of the window! Great to to TC's gang. Was tipped off that Derek was about but didn't manage to track him down! Lol
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
10-30 till 12.30 was nice to see our Bezzy there
© Wirral-Wikiwirral