Forums
Posted By: BandyCoot H.M. S/mThetis Presentation. - 11th Apr 2010 10:58am
Just a reminder folks that there is a presention by Derek Arnold (son of survivor Stoker Wally Arnold) on the sinking and subsequent aftermath of the "Thetis" disaster, coming up in May. There will be publicity about it coming up and really recommend it as an interesting and informative presentation. There were a lot of local people involved in this disaster so you may find out about someone from your own family that you didn't know about.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: H.M. S/mThetis Presentation. - 11th Apr 2010 11:18am
Could you post a reminder of the date & location please? Apols. if I missed them before.

Contemplating a trip to the Wirral May/June to meet up with Chris. Would be good to try and attend the presentation and maybe put some faces to names !!

Thanks.
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: H.M. S/mThetis Presentation. - 12th Apr 2010 4:41pm
Thursday 20th May 2010 at 7.30pm
The Friends of Greasby Library present a talk by Derek Arnold -
"HMS Thetis - the ill-fated submarine"
Tickets £2.50 (£2.00 for members of 'Friends of Greasby Library' - why not join - only £2.50 p.a.).

Please book early
For further information phone 0151 677 5714
Posted By: Anonymous Re: H.M. S/mThetis Presentation. - 12th Apr 2010 5:39pm
Many thanks for info.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: H.M. S/mThetis Presentation. - 22nd Apr 2010 7:12pm
Has anyone else had any notification of possible date change to the presentation ?? Just missed a phone call from Greasby Library about "a possible date change to the Thetis presentation...."

Message was left on the squawkbox at 1940hrs. Did 1471 at 2005. Phoned the number back, but just ringing out. Will try again in the morning.

I hope the date hasn't changed because I have hung multiple visits to various friends in the Wirral, Cheshire & Shropshire around this date. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... !!

Will add any further info. as soon as received.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: H.M. S/mThetis Presentation. - 23rd Apr 2010 8:49am
Spoke to a very pleasant, helpful person at Greasby Library just now. It is possible that the date for the presentation may be brought forward to Monday 17th May. Location would be at the nearby Community Hall (?). This is because of possible building work due to be carried out at the library.

Nothing writ in tablets of stone yet, but they are letting folk know in advance.

The building work may not happen of course. They are phoning me - and presumably others as well, with any more up to date info.

Are any other folk from Wikiwirral, apart from Bandy and Greasby Lad going to this ? The silence has been (almost) deafening.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: H.M. S/mThetis Presentation. - 23rd Apr 2010 12:59pm
Sorry Pinz, I can't get over, I will be abroad, but I did go to the presentation in New Brighton last year and can recommend it, absolutely fascinating and enlightening. Hope your arrangements for the weekend work out.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: H.M. S/mThetis Presentation. - 23rd Apr 2010 1:33pm
No worries Bandy. Thanks for the recommendation. Have read a bit about the Thetis. Amazing what a small bit of paint caused ! The REAL disaster (IMHO) was the total cock-up by the Admiralty. Sat on their fat a**es and faffing about for far too long. Turned a nasty incident into a total tragedy.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: H.M. S/mThetis Presentation. - 23rd Apr 2010 3:52pm
Cheers Pinz. Don't worry, Wally's lad will give you all the details at the presentation. I thought I knew a bit about it myself until I heard the rest of it.
Long live the Thetis Clip, a very fitting memorial to them.
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: H.M. S/mThetis Presentation. - 17th May 2010 10:18am
I spoke to Greasby library staff this morning. The talk will take place as planned - on Thursday 20th May. Despite building work, no timing changes were necessary. Their earlier phone calls had just been a precaution.

Tickets are now sold out (well I did say to book early!)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: H.M. S/mThetis Presentation. - 17th May 2010 10:28am
Beat me to it greasby_lad ! I received a phone call from the library saying the original date/time still stands. Looking forward to it. Going to claim the "I travelled the furthest" prize. ha.ha.
Posted By: Mark Re: H.M. S/mThetis Presentation. - 17th May 2010 6:36pm
Added date to calendar smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral