Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 21st Oct 2009 6:01pm
Hms Illustrious at the pierhead from tomorrow 'til Tuesday next week. Theres a busy programe of events including a flyover on Friday.

More details: Wirral Globe
Posted By: Wench Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 21st Oct 2009 6:17pm
I think it's very rude that they are doing the fly-past just as I sit an exam frown Do they not know that a) I'd love to be able to watch it and that b) I'm special (in a non velcro shoes, non licking windows kind of way) no
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 21st Oct 2009 6:21pm
rudebox any more bacon btties on the way

I'll make a tray for you
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 21st Oct 2009 6:32pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
rudebox any more bacon btties on the way

I'll make a tray for you
hahaha- i KNEW what your post would be!! Yer, bacon butties derek lol. Gonna get saveaways tomoz for Friday. Bit of a mooch on the ship-work up an appetite-then al get me apron on....
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 21st Oct 2009 6:51pm
The fly past sounds amazing.

*stamps feet and sulks*
Posted By: purfek Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 21st Oct 2009 7:10pm
THE incredible sight of 40 Royal Naval aircraft of all vintages and types flying along the Mersey will take place on Friday at 2pm
The event will start tomorrow with the arrival of HMS Illustrious, the UK’s strike aircraft carrier, which will dock at Liverpool Cruise Liner Terminal at 2pm and remain until Tuesday
more fuller write up in the daily post here
Liverpool Daily Post events link
Posted By: purfek Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 3:31pm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: purfek Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 3:34pm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 6:44pm
Anyone going for the 2pm+ 4pm flyovers?
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 7:02pm
I am smile looking forward to it too smile
Posted By: Brocks Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 7:04pm
I'm Going. Can't decide were to go though. Liverpool side I'm shooting into the sun but Wirral is away from the buzz of the crowd.
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 7:05pm
good point, but think i am going to stay over this side (wirral)
Posted By: Wench Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 7:06pm
I'm considering ditching the exam to watch it raftl
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 7:07pm
Me Me Me Me Me Me Me

Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 7:08pm
wench - lol....do it, do it, do it!!!!! hehe....bet you cant wait to smell her (27th) laugh
Posted By: Wench Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 7:12pm
I would love to but I daren't no

Never mind smell her, eat her raftl
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 7:14pm
lol...i know smile

i will be taking pics of tomorrow smile

I am really looking forward to it on the 27th, cant wait!!!
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 7:17pm
i'm gonna head down tommorow as well for pic's.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 7:47pm
Im working just up the river from her in the Canada Dock, gonna get a brill view of the flyover!!
I heared off the ship demo guys that she is due to be de-comissioned next year and cut up in Liverpool (Canada Dock of all places!)
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 22nd Oct 2009 7:51pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Me Me Me Me Me Me Me

softy-no 3 wink wink x
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 23rd Oct 2009 1:21pm
Really impressive flyover! :-)
Posted By: Wheels Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 23rd Oct 2009 1:35pm
AARRRGH!!! some Ginger idiot kept getting in my shots and then I was angry and could not focus my camera!!! AARGH!

mad
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 23rd Oct 2009 3:18pm
That was brilliant!
Why did I find it quite emotional?????
My mates husband got some brill photos which I'll but up later
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 23rd Oct 2009 4:19pm
Im looking forward to seeing peoples photos. I was stuck in work but we all climbed to the top floor and we could see the fly past from the site (laird Street).

Edit: I have just noticed the other thread. nice photos everyone!.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 23rd Oct 2009 4:51pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
That was brilliant!
Why did I find it quite emotional?????
My mates husband got some brill photos which I'll but up later
i got goosebumps all over and felt emotional too. I didnt venture down the prom, top of the path with a mug of tea in me jim-jams. Hehe. Watched the 'parking chaos' unfold from me bedroom window...
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 26th Oct 2009 11:35pm
some photos to tag on
Too late to go onboard so took a few odd ones

Attached picture helicopter 1 resized.jpg
Attached picture Illustrious pilot boat resized.jpg
Attached picture helicopter 2 resized.jpg
Attached picture Illustrious swans resized.jpg

Description: waiting for the ferry
Attached picture waiting for the ferry resized.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 26th Oct 2009 11:38pm
any idea what the sign on the funnel is

Description: funnel sign
Attached picture signs on funnel resized.jpg

Description: ships at RO RO ferry
Attached picture RORO SHIPS RESIZED.jpg

Description: on way back stopped off to see some of Joe's mates
Attached picture Joe's friends resized.jpg
Posted By: kimpri Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 27th Oct 2009 12:16am
ye didn't stay long looked like they been on the piss all day
end up fightthe pcgets a call, busted your nicked cells for you teddy bears tonight. happy
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 27th Oct 2009 8:03am
Originally Posted by kimpri1
ye didn't stay long looked like they been on the piss all day
end up fightthe pcgets a call, busted your nicked cells for you teddy bears tonight. happy
hi hi joe raftl
great pics derek mate nice one!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 27th Oct 2009 8:29am
Derek the Sign on the funnel is the ships crest,

The ship’s motto, “Vox Non Incerta”, comes from a quote in the bible, specifically Corinthians I, Ch.14 v.8, which reads: "For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"

The motto then, means “No Uncertain Sound”,
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 27th Oct 2009 8:35am
Did you find those animals in Bidston tip?
Posted By: kimpri Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 27th Oct 2009 9:12am
didn't find them mate

that's were the guys live.

little devil devil devil bite too. wink
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Aircraft carrier Illustrious visit - 27th Oct 2009 9:37pm
brilliant Bert
how did you find all that out from just a picture
(was it in a google for Illustrious facts)

Being now wikis resident latin translator can you do this for me

ut vincio vir verbo ligitur this was on Clover house Bidston
© Wirral-Wikiwirral