Forums
Posted By: Waddi Sunday 19th July 2009: Under and Over the Mersey - 3rd Apr 2009 9:05am
Those of you that thought you'd missed your chance to walk throught the Mersey Tunnel, guess again;

To celebrate the Queensway Tunnel’s 75th anniversary, Merseytravel is hosting a unique and historic event; the chance to take an intriguing walk back through time and witness the past 75 years of the Mersey Tunnel.

‘Under and Over the Mersey’ takes place on Sunday 19th July. You will be able to walk under the river through the Queensway Tunnel and be transported back in time to a 1930’s carnival atmosphere. Then return over the river on a Mersey Ferry.

The event includes a full entertainment programme suitable for the entire family and is fully accessible to everyone. Various celebrities will be counting down each walk, and there will be a vintage car rally, carnival rides, musical entertainment and dramatic circus displays, all compered by Keith Chegwin. Everyone will receive a commemorative medal to remind them of the occasion for years to come.

All proceeds from the event will be donated to Merseytravel’s 2009 very worthwhile corporate charity, Claire House. So why not get together with your friends and family and form a team event for charity? You could even wear fancy dress.

Individual tickets are £5 and family tickets (2 adults and 2 children) are £15. You can chose to walk through at 10.30am, 11.15am, 12 noon, 12.45pm or 1.30pm.

Book online or at any Merseytravel Centre or fill in an application form and send it through the post. Please bear in mind that places are limited so you should try to book early.

If you require further information about the event, call the information line on 0151 330 1702.

we hope you can join us for what promises to be a most memorable occasion.

Click here to Download and Application form
Please click here to book your tickets online

See last years Under & Over Click Me

Attached picture underandover2009.jpg
I think the WIKI U'E team has got to go to this smile

lads

Sunday 19th July 2009
yerr sounds well cool!
I cant believe more people havent shown interest in this.
Now you mention it waddi - this looks really good - I didn't bother reading it when it first got posted. I reckon we'll defo be up for this!

Oy!!! Everyone - over here! Read this!!!!
Thats the Spirit
Keith Chegwin? I'm there!

Bought tickets to do it last year, but couldn't make it.

Hopefully do it this time round though
got me form filled out gang just need to add me cash cool!
I ordered mine
I ordered my tickets online and got an order confirmation from Mersey Travel - does anyone know if we get anything else? confused
Just thought I'd let you know that apparently the wristbands are being sent out this week and next so we should receive them quite soon.
Can't wait
im doing this, my slotted time is 11.15 the same as s. southerner
i will have to pull out on this 1 hope you peeps will get lots of pix

i might go down amd just walk through the tunnel see what happins
Wah Hey - my wristband had arrived
bananalama bananalama bananalama
Is there anything to see other than what you see when you drive through it though??
No. The point is that you can't walk through usually so it's something different. They are making a bit of a day of it with classic car show and other 'going's on'.
Hey - It's £5 - walk through the tunnel, ferry back over and the money goes to charity.
Bargain!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sunday 19th July 2009: Under and Over the Mersey - 30th Jun 2009 12:15pm
Merseytravel is organising another walk through the Queensway Tunnel to celebrate its 75th anniversary and raise cash for charity.

Last year, nearly 15,000 people took part in the 2.13-mile walk as part of Merseytravel’s contribution to the Capital of Culture celebrations.

This time, on Sunday July 19, Merseytravel is donating money raised through ticket sales from “Under and Over the Mersey” 2009 to Claire House children’s hospice, which is its corporate charity for 2009.

Merseytravel says it would like to see as many walkers as possible to get out their fancy dress and sponsorship forms for their own favourite charity.

A spokesman said: "'Under and Over the Mersey 2009' will probably be the last chance for such a unique view of this engineering masterpiece for many a year so we’re making the walk even bigger and better, more colourful and just as memorable."

The event, which will be accessible to everyone, is hosted by Keith Chegwin and celebrities will count down the five planned walkthrough processions.

There will also be vintage cars, carnival rides, musical entertainment and dramatic circus performances.

Walkers can travel free back to Liverpool on a Mersey Ferry – with all three boats on the River for the day – and everyone taking part receives a commemorative medal.

Everyone also gets a wristband, which entitles them to two-for-one entry to Spaceport, The U-boat Story and Mersey Tunnel Tours until August 16.

Single tickets for "Under and Over the Mersey" cost £5 and family tickets (two adults and two children) are £15.

You can book online at www.merseytravel.gov.uk or at any Merseytravel Centre or more information call the Merseytravel information line on 0151 330 1702.

So is there many of us going??
What time is everybody doing this? just about to go and get my band.

Susan 11:15
Softy Southerner 11:15
Posted By: SUExx Re: Sunday 19th July 2009: Under and Over the Mersey - 18th Jul 2009 11:51am
yes 11.15 just hope i am up and get there after going on the bidston hill ghost hunt at midnight sat night sun morn.
me and my tribe set off at 12.00..have to get ferry over the water first and make our own way to tunnel entrance or is there a shuttle bus or something...anyone know?
cannot wait to see cheggers lol.......... blush wink
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
me and my tribe set off at 12.00..have to get ferry over the water first and make our own way to tunnel entrance or is there a shuttle bus or something...anyone know?

Are you going over on the ferry as your 'over the Mersey' or are you going to do ferry to Liverpool, walk under Mersey, ferry over Mersey then ferry back here to Wirral??
i dont know,i presume you are only supposed to have one trip on the ferry but how will they know if your are just showing an armband?
That's what I'm thinking. I don't know whether I should get the bus over to the tunnel entrance and do it all the right way round?????
think i will just do it the wrong way round for convienience
if you live in wirral its the ferry to liverpool and then walk back to the wirral side through the tunnel,if you live on the liverpool side you walk through the tunnel to the wirral then get the ferry back over to liverpool
That wasnt very specific in the leaflet, i found
Most of the entertainment is happening over at Liverpool side so you'd want to spend more time over there, woudn't you???
Have agood day today to those that are going

Lots of photo,s please smile
Yeah, brilliant walk with the 11:15 group, the Samba band leading the walk at the start is genious, sets the mood for the whole tunnel. Arrived a bit late so missed the intro, looked like people were enjoying that as well. Nice to get on the ferry again - need to get on this more.

Many thanks to my companions on route John(Susan+1) and Susan, really good company.

Great organisation by the tunnels/ferry people, so smooth they make it look simple.

Pics up later & maybe vid.
had a very good time but it would of been nice to see a little bit more going on in the actual tunnel...my feet are killing me now.the samba band were great and i got to shake cheggers hands lol
Did you guys get the 10.30 ferry across?
I can't believe how knackered I am, maybe it was the heat.
I took loads of piccies will load them later
Website for Samba band, as the guys have said they were brill.

http://www.batalaliverpool.com/
11.00 ferry but got held up watching people throwing themselves off the top of the liver building
ah! I was on 10.30 from Seacombe. I saw the abseiling but I kept on going as I was worried I'd get lost!!

Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
ah! I was on 10.30 from Seacombe. I saw the abseiling but I kept on going as I was worried I'd get lost!!

me hubby and diggingdeeper [ andy ] were on the 10.50 from woodside, got to liverpool at 11.05 made it to the tunnel just before start and ended up at the front of our group. A great day, and yes we enjoyed your company to dd
I must have been right near you all. I was at the front when they started off but held back for most of them to pass.
lol, aceritz has just been on this.
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
I must have been right near you all. I was at the front when they started off but held back for most of them to pass.
WOW - We were beside the band on the left hand side when it started then tailed to about 30 feet behind it. Just checking my vid to see if I got you!
anyone pics? camera
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/album.php?aid=96723&id=637027378&ref=nf

I put an album up on Face Book - hopefully this will link through. If it doesn't work then I'll C&P.
x
not working queen! frown
Cheers Hon - I'll upload them
yerr nice one camera
1st lot

Attached picture Transfer 064a.jpg
Attached picture Transfer 065a.jpg
Attached picture Transfer 077a.jpg
Attached picture Transfer 078a.jpg
Attached picture Transfer 080a.jpg
2nd lot

Attached picture Transfer 081a.jpg