Forums
Posted By: j_demo XP Computer - 11th Jan 2020 4:46pm
Got a hankering to play some old pc games but i've tried everything (and i mean everything) and they won't install on my W10 computer so wondered if anyone has an old XP computer to hand they no longer need that i could have off them just for playing old PC games? Cheers.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: XP Computer - 11th Jan 2020 5:27pm
Twin boot it into XP and Windows 10 or are you saying its a hardware problem?
Posted By: j_demo Re: XP Computer - 11th Jan 2020 7:11pm
Probably hardware as well as software. My current computer is just too powerful to even install some games, notably Red Alert 2
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: XP Computer - 12th Jan 2020 8:04am
Hi
I could probably sort you out with some old hardware. Got plenty of bits hanging around.

I play red alert on my pc though, ryzen, 1080 gtx ddr 4 nvme.

Are you running it from a disk? Try Origin store. It’s about £5 but it works
Posted By: j_demo Re: XP Computer - 12th Jan 2020 9:49am
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
Hi
I could probably sort you out with some old hardware. Got plenty of bits hanging around.

I play red alert on my pc though, ryzen, 1080 gtx ddr 4 nvme.

Are you running it from a disk? Try Origin store. It’s about £5 but it works

Cheers, if you had an old laptop with xp on i'd be happy to buy it off you.

I have it both on disc and iso file, either way it refuses to install.

I've checked the origin site and can get c&c whole pack for £12.50 which i don't mind doing if i know it'll 100% work but i've googled it and a load of people are having problems getting it to work on W10.

I know windows now is better than windows then (technically) but i just want to play my old games god damn it!!! Why do you make it so difficult mr gates?
Posted By: Gibbo Re: XP Computer - 13th Jan 2020 11:18am
Use Virtual PC or Virtualbox to install a virtual instance of Windows XP. No need for a second machine.
Posted By: j_demo Re: XP Computer - 13th Jan 2020 5:29pm
Tried the virtual machine options, tried two of em and neither let me run the install from a disc. I have iso files too but for some reason it wouldn't run them either.

So i went on ebay and got an actual xp computer for 47 quid. Should be getting delivered Wednesday. A couple of days wait but i'll have to suck it uo.

Cheers to everyone for input though!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral