Forums
Posted By: Uffda Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 10th Feb 2016 6:39pm
Does anyone have any old wooden floorboards available or know where I can get some please? I only need about two meters. They can be any width as I can cut them down but preferably 2cm thick.
Many thanks
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 10th Feb 2016 6:48pm
There is (or maybe was) a second-hand wood place by the junction of Old Chester Road, Bebington Road and Kings Lane (Fair's Cameras junction) behind the Bank on the corner down Kings Lane a bit and down the back entry.

Never been to see what he has got yet, but I think someone mentioned floorboards. I've been meaning to have a look so I could check tomorrow if you want.

If its to match in with existing flooring, check the thickness accurately, its surprising how much of nuisance even a 2mm difference makes.

Posted By: Uffda Re: Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 10th Feb 2016 8:14pm
Thanks digging, if you are going down there I'd be grateful if you could check it out for me. I've uncovered the false floor in my living room and found really nice boards underneath. I intend to sand and vanish them down but there are a couple of gaps which I need to fill.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 10th Feb 2016 8:39pm
I've sanded a quite few floors, it is a horrible job but very satisfying. Just make sure you knock all the nail down below the surface.

On one floor that had particularly thick gungy varnish on I got a professional in on the grounds that it would cost me too much in clogged sandpaper and patience, he used a Spanish sanding machine and for some reason the nail heads didn't rip his sandpaper like always happened to me.

Will check out the used wood place tomorrow as I will be passing.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 11th Feb 2016 12:56pm
Originally Posted by Uffda
I intend to sand and vanish them down but there are a couple of gaps which I need to fill.

If you vanish them, you'll have a lot more gaps to fill. grin
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 11th Feb 2016 5:06pm
Kel reclaimed (by Fairs), Ogradys Architectural (storeton ).Place on Cleveland Street ?. Few advertsising on ebay at the moment.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 11th Feb 2016 5:48pm
Apologies, completely forgot about this, post-it note getting stickered somewhere for tomorrow.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 12th Feb 2016 9:44am
Thanks anyway dig. thumbsup
Oops, maybe vanishing my boards is where the problem started!
Looking at the boards advertised on Ebay they seem more expensive than I thought per foot but it will worth it to make good the floor. Does anyone have any experience in sanding, staining and varnishing boards? Such as what type of stain and varnish to use. I've read that yacht varnish is best but don't want to put something down which will look awful in six months.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 12th Feb 2016 9:54am
Maybe best just doing a natural wood treatment that will bring up the wooden floor boards nicer.
Varnish tends to show scratches up more when you are moving furniture etc.
Would love to hear the results of your project Uffda.

I myself are thinking of doing my floorboards this spring,But haven not been brave enough to take that sort of job on in case i cock it up.

If i get stuck in anything i You tube it or ask DD for advise.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 12th Feb 2016 12:39pm
Kel by fairs aren't doing floorboards any longer.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 13th Feb 2016 9:12am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Kel by fairs aren't doing floorboards any longer.

Many thanks Dig, it saves me a trip down there.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 17th Feb 2016 4:24pm
Did you get the boards you wanted? I have about 6 lengths varying between around 4 to 5ft 6. If they are any good to you.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Wanted Wooden Floor Boards - 18th Feb 2016 5:12pm
Hi Salmon,

No, not got any yet a friend told me about some in a skip in Wallasey and I asked if the homeowner if I could take them but when I got them home and tried to de-nail them, saw that they were riddled with woodworm which I really don't want to introduce into the house. I'll PM you.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral