Forums
Posted By: Pete_M V.C.R. - 24th Jul 2014 11:28am
I'm after borrowing a VCR off anyone but it must have a S.V.G.A. or S-Video output similar to the attached pic, It's so I can copy some old tapes to my laptop for my dad, and then edit them and put them to D.V.D. Shouldn't need it for more than a few days
Cheers
Pete

Attached picture SVGA_port.jpg
Attached picture 2.jpg
Posted By: Snodvan Re: V.C.R. - 24th Jul 2014 3:08pm
I have at least 4 VCR machines festering in my loft. Came from mum's house when she died last year. I will go look for sockets as per your pics when it cools down - damned hot up in the loft. Matching the controllers to the appropriate VCR may be a bit more tricky because they are all in a box. However, I guess the brand names will sort it out. They are all good makes like Sanyo, Panasonic, Sony etc. If I have what you want you can have it

Snod
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: V.C.R. - 24th Jul 2014 8:15pm
How are you going to connect the VCR and laptop together?
Posted By: ASE71 Re: V.C.R. - 24th Jul 2014 10:28pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
How are you going to connect the VCR and laptop together?

He can't.

My advice is to get the content of the tapes copied to dvd using a DVR and then take the .VOB files from the DVD,transfer them to the laptop and rename the .vob to .Mpeg........ Voila!!
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: V.C.R. - 24th Jul 2014 10:30pm
Unless you are using a capture card, I would say you are going to run into problems. 99.99% of VGA and S-Video connections on laptops are output to display only.
In fact, I have yet to see one that takes an input.
And I don't think I've ever seen a VCR with VGA output before.

You would be better off getting a cheap USB capture card that allows composite connections. Then you can use any VCR that supports composite/scart (99% of them).

Fairly cheap, and no wild goose chase attached smile
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: V.C.R. - 24th Jul 2014 10:37pm
Some Security tape video machines have vga out. Time lapse.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: V.C.R. - 24th Jul 2014 10:47pm
Well, must be fairly rare then (so rare I cannot find a picture or even a reference to one), I never saw a VGA output on any of the CCTV systems with VCR's we installed, just BNC. On a multiplexer or duplexer maybe. Different types of signal.

I think the chances are it doesn't.

But still, even if you could find one, doesn't really help if the laptop doesn't have a vga input wink
Posted By: davew3 Re: V.C.R. - 24th Jul 2014 11:14pm
Avermedia AVerKey 100 pro, has a VGA input and a VGA output plus an S-video output might work it's used to convert VGA to video, I have an untested one and I don't have the 7.5 power pack for it , I've been meaning to check it out but then but, the problem is, I'am out tomorrow at a wedding.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: V.C.R. - 24th Jul 2014 11:57pm
Originally Posted by davew3
Avermedia AVerKey 100 pro, has a VGA input and a VGA output plus an S-video output might work it's used to convert VGA to video, I have an untested one and I don't have the 7.5 power pack for it , I've been meaning to check it out but then but, the problem is, I'am out tomorrow at a wedding.

You cant use this as Pete does not have a VCR with VGA out and the laptop as it stands has no input for any type of video in.
Posted By: Pete_M Re: V.C.R. - 25th Jul 2014 8:14am
Many thanks for the information provided, I have been offered the loan of a vcr with built in dvd recorder, this, I am hoping will enable me to then transfer the dvd to hard drive and then edit it with Adobe Premiere Pro, I'm hoping to make a compilation of videos to DVD as some of the tapes show my son and nephews from 20 years ago !! ( I even have dark hair!! ) It's my Grandsons birthday
Posted By: Pete_M Re: V.C.R. - 25th Jul 2014 8:16am
oops pressed the enter button before i finished the post. Its my grandsons birthday on Aug 7th and as a treat we'd like to show him what his dad was like when he was 7 ! Plus lots of captured moments, once again, Thank You for the information.
Pete
Posted By: Snodvan Re: V.C.R. - 25th Jul 2014 9:30am
Nice one Pete.
None of my VCRs anyway had the sockets you showed in the pics.

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral