Forums
Posted By: Colt743 Looking 8gb Gaming Ram - 14th May 2014 11:50am
Looking for 8gb of decent RAM for gaming please

Preferebly one stick but i can go for 2 x 4gb's
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Looking 8gb Gaming Ram - 14th May 2014 12:00pm
Hi colt,

I am no expert but I would say I know more than most and less than many....

In this day and age ram is excellent but it is all very similar. The difference between a 60 quid kit of standard ram and a 120 quid kit is how much it will over lock and how low the timings are. Get the right ram for your board, 1333/1600'etc and get a mid range kit. The crucial, corsair or rip jaw are all good. Get the lowest timing you can. Something like this is fine, don't spend a fortune unless you have a top end motherboard. £200 plus.

With a cl speed of 9 this looks to be a bargain!
http://www.ebuyer.com/412034-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-hyperx-xmp-beast-series-khx16c9t3k2-8x
Posted By: Colt743 Re: Looking 8gb Gaming Ram - 14th May 2014 2:20pm
Thanks for the reply, I Will have a look.

I have seen your posts around here with advice and selling the odd component etc. So I thought you would be the one to reply wink and i did try and do a Google search and triedto find your place to give you a call to see if you would have anything in stock, but had no luck.

I'm just looking to give the computer a little boost with a few processes that I have running. I was looking at some corsair vengeance but I still need to check how many slots my comp has free and I'm not sure the max RAM that my motherboard can take either as I only have 8gb of nothing special atm.

Thanks again!
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Looking 8gb Gaming Ram - 14th May 2014 3:59pm
Hi,

I don't have a shop mate. I just do IT as a hobby and I work in the sector also for a largish company in town. I can almost guarantee you will notice no difference upgrading from nothing special to something special!

If you had a system with a 300 CPU 200 motherboard and 30 quid ram you would notice the difference. Best upgrade you can make to a standard pc is a solid state drive.
Posted By: Colt743 Re: Looking 8gb Gaming Ram - 14th May 2014 4:25pm
Ahh my bad i thought you had a shop!

I was going to go for 16gb of RAM if my motherboard supported it, but I may invest in an SSD if i would notice more of a difference than with the extra ram.

Would the OS need to be on the SSD to see the benefit?
Posted By: Raven61 Re: Looking 8gb Gaming Ram - 14th May 2014 5:58pm
Better with OS on SSD & have a secondary hard drive for all your other stuff. I thought that they always recommend you use a pair of memory sticks ie 2 x 4g rather than one 8g.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral