Forums
Posted By: Rredd Unusual request - 5th Sep 2013 7:03pm
Hi this is a bit strange but bear with me. I work in a local school and at the moment we are focusing on a book called Wonder which tells the story of a child who was born with a facial deformity, It is his journey, the fear, the predjudice he has to face. I wanted as part of my lesson for someone who has actually had to deal with this themselves to come into class and speak of challenges they they had to face, wether its a birth defect, burn or birthmark it would be so valuable. If there is anyone who would be willing to do this could they PM me. It would be around the 2nd October at around 1.00pm. Its a wallasy school. Thanks Sara
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Unusual request - 5th Sep 2013 7:57pm
good luck with this, if help is not forthcoming, may i suggest showing your students MASK as it deals with a boy with a facial deformity and is based on a true story, i believe.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089560/
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Unusual request - 5th Sep 2013 10:31pm
showing them mask and exposing them to such facial deformity is a bit of a cruel thing to do, especially if you want them to have an understanding of the prejudices people face in everyday life...

it is cher in mask by the way isn't it?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Unusual request - 5th Sep 2013 11:17pm
Is it Simon Weston Falklands guy who does this sort of thing?
Posted By: Rredd Re: Unusual request - 6th Sep 2013 6:39am
Originally Posted by eggandchips
good luck with this, if help is not forthcoming, may i suggest showing your students MASK as it deals with a boy with a facial deformity and is based on a true story, i believe.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089560/

Hi, Thanks, we are primary so we couldnt watch Mask, I remember it from when I was a teenager, its pretty hard hitting. We are reading a book called Wonder which tells them the story of a child who has to face this. x
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Unusual request - 6th Sep 2013 7:10am
[quote=mrhanky]showing them mask and exposing them to such facial deformity is a bit of a cruel thing to do, especially if you want them to have an understanding of the prejudices people face in everyday life...

it is cher in mask by the way isn't it?

the poster didnt say the age of the kids involved, the film shows, the prejudice faced by the lad in the film, it also shows he has many friends who stick by him for who he is.
yes, cher was in the film
Posted By: gizzin Re: Unusual request - 7th Sep 2013 10:48am
You should have put this in as a main topic feature asking people to contact you by pm and allowing a debate on the subject. Teachers seem to think that they know better than the rest of us in the real world when you wouldn't be around without people like me to fund you, so I think its important you get our feedback.... For your socially inclusive projects, no-matter how well meant intent.
Posted By: rossie Re: Unusual request - 7th Sep 2013 11:19am
What an extraordinary post by gizzin.
I agree that you would get a better response if you put it under ask Wiki rather than wanted but I don't see any need for other remarks. I think it is great that you are taking the trouble to assist your pupils.Good luck
Posted By: Rredd Re: Unusual request - 13th Sep 2013 7:57pm
Originally Posted by rossie
What an extraordinary post by gizzin.
I agree that you would get a better response if you put it under ask Wiki rather than wanted but I don't see any need for other remarks. I think it is great that you are taking the trouble to assist your pupils.Good luck

Agreed, a weird and unnecessary rant.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral