Forums
Posted By: Mike_Hoylake Wanted windows 7 - 13th Jul 2013 1:28pm
Hi i am looking for a Windows 7 home premium licence number sticker maybe on an old busted pc or on a box i dont need a disc many thanks.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Wanted windows 7 - 13th Jul 2013 7:48pm
Trouble is,OEM Windows7 is tied to the Motherboard on the original Pc.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Wanted windows 7 - 13th Jul 2013 10:47pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone
Trouble is,OEM Windows7 is tied to the Motherboard on the original Pc.
I disagree with this, and the reason why is:

I had a laptop that was got with oem windows on it, and i used the product key number from on the sticker to install windows 7 from a win7 disc, to install on a different computer.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Wanted windows 7 - 13th Jul 2013 11:17pm
I've transferred several OEM licences to new motherboards when people have upgraded the internals, never had a problem.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Wanted windows 7 - 14th Jul 2013 12:12am
Manufacturers change their specs of the motherboards by the minute/day/week, so there would have to be an awful lot of different versions of Windows if they did make Windows 7 motherboard specific.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Wanted windows 7 - 14th Jul 2013 6:43am
Ok` am pretty sure am right on this ... Unless it is an exact replacement motherboard or atleast one of its components` the chances of installing and activation your OEM version of Windows 7 on a different PC is next to nil. OEM versions of Windows 7 are tied to the first motherboard they are installed on and can not be moved / installed on another system.
If you want to install it over an over on different PCs then you need the Retail version which comes with support from Microsoft and allows you to install it 3 times on any PC at any one time.

Having just tried to confirm this on Microsoft website but its under maintenance` so I cant just now.
http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=f4ZrUp9SCiw
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Wanted windows 7 - 14th Jul 2013 5:41pm
http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=f4ZrUp9SCiw
System Builder licensing:scroll down to Q7

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?
A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by those terms. The End User Software License Terms are a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer, and relate only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.
Posted By: rainman Re: Wanted windows 7 - 17th Jul 2013 6:44pm
Willo is correct , use the number that you had originally and when product activation fails .. select phone microsoft, its automated and an 0800 number ... it will give you a set of numbers to punch in on your screen , then ask you on how many pcs is this installed on , select 1 pc ... it then says your entry was excepted and gives you the unlock code ...enter that into the empty boxes below the ones youve already entered and wammo your copy comes up as verified ....
© Wirral-Wikiwirral