Forums
Posted By: TheDr WANTED: Electrician to repair Immersion Heater - 28th Jan 2012 9:37pm
Okay here's the story, United Utilities, being the bunch of idiots that they are, cut off the water to a flat without telling anyone, so the person in it decided to use the hot water instead, forgetting that the immersion heater was still switched on (a degree of stupidity so great United Utilities have offered them a job as CEO)

Anyway, water back on a few hours later, now the electric trips whenever it is switched on, I keep meaning to fix it (no rush, flat is now empty) but every time I come to do it something else gets in the way.

I have a feeling I'm about to get 50 recs for resident Wiki Electrician to replace heater and/or thermostat smile
Posted By: dodie Re: WANTED: Electrician to repair Immersion Heater - 29th Jan 2012 6:35pm
imersion gone need new 1
I thought so too, just not in the mood to do a partial drain-down before the removing the heater.

It's not too old (maybe about 8 years) so shouldn't fall apart but you never know.
Depending on where the heater is inserted will govern the size it has to be, either 14" or 27" or there abouts. Andy way expect to pay no more than £20 from any leccy wholesaler.

use a immertion heater spanner to remove the old one (check its drained and elec and water are off), but dont just twist it. Tap it slowly with a mammer then unwind slowly, the rest should be common knowledge to you dr!

Now we are quits for the iphone info you helped me with raftl
11" or 27" are £14 or £15 (£15 or £18 for the long life ones) from ToolStation, box spanner is a fiver.

Bottom drain, take off the pressure, crack the seal, drain down, remove, renew, refit. The logistics I know, it's the cant be @rsed part of me that wanted to pay somebody else to do it.

Today I was in Manchester, Chester tomorrow, North Wales on Sunday, Northampton on Monday, Carlisle on Tuesday (and Manchester again), Birmingham Wednesday and on Thursday it's my daughter 21st so wherever I'm meant to be they can all do one as I'm taking her out. Somewhere amongst that I also have to arrange for the new shop (can't advertise it as you know) to be fitted out and the new equipment to be delivered.

I'm so grateful sometimes for not having to sleep, however I have noticed that if you try and do any work in the early hours the neighbours all seem to want to check that you are aware of the time laugh

Thanks for the help anyway, glad the iPhone advice helped.

Okay, so it's brown to Earth.......
© Wirral-Wikiwirral